The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M240 sensor clean

ReeRay

This is probably old hat to most but I thought worth sharing to the uninitiated as I previously was.

After buying my M240 late last year I was plagued with a constant dirty sensor. Cleaning became a weekly necessity. The camera seemed to be a magnet to dust spots and grunge. With no local cleaning facility I had no alternative but to self clean. Every proprietary brand proved useless. Sure, after much effort I could achieve a "sort of" clean sensor but never really satisfactory and soon the issue returned. I got to the point of selling the camera.

Research led me to Isopropanol. Leica also recommend this product. The problem was that the 100% proof was/is unavailable over here, BUT, they have the 70% available in most pharmacies which is used to clean cuts and burns. A small bottle costs just $2.00. I was nervous, but went for it. Two small drops on a Visible Dust pad, a quick wipe one way and back on the dry side and bingo, a shiny, clean, pristine sensor. Relief is an understatement but the best was yet to come as I established that this fluid contains an anti dust/grunge element to prevent reoccurrence.

It's now been 3 months since my last wet clean and having shot the proverbial blue sky at f22 this morning I see absolutely no trace of anything on the sensor despite having just returned from a very humid dusty shoot in the Thai outback with constant lens changes.

Hope this may help others with the problem.