Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

I made my own M-P with my black M240 and two black stickers. I will sell anybody here two black stickers for half the price of the Leica "upgrade".
    Brad Husick
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unhappy Re: The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I made my own M-P with my black M240 and two black stickers. I will sell anybody here two black stickers for half the price of the Leica "upgrade".
    Do you include some black paint for the rear dials

Just this guy you know

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I was talking about the EVF
    IMHO It's not as good as the E-M1 - it's too saturated and has too much contrast - the E-M1 is much better at fine detail and subtle lighting variations. . . . . and as far as I know those cameras all use the same panel for their EVF (which I believe is made by Epson) . . . the Sony is too contrasty . . . the Leica T isn't contrasty enough . . . The Fuji is nice and quick, but it's both too contrasty and too saturated . . . the Olympus got it just about right . . and yes, I've used them all
    The Fuji can all be adjusted in the menu(s).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    The Fuji can all be adjusted in the menu(s).
    They all can. Doesn't alter the basic situation (or the sludgy greens). Whatever. You're sounding increasingly like a Fuji fanboy!

At least we can all agree that the M EVF leaves room for improvement. But at least it has a rangefinder to back it up in those 'non EVF moments'

Just this guy you know

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

They all can. Doesn't alter the basic situation (or the sludgy greens). Whatever. You're sounding increasingly like a Fuji fanboy!
    Hardly a fanboy of ANY platform; cameras, computers or otherwise.

Sludgy greens? Now you're talking about the sensor...

One might think you're an Olympus fanboy.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO It's not as good as the E-M1 - it's too saturated and has too much contrast - the E-M1 is much better at fine detail and subtle lighting variations. . . . . and as far as I know those cameras all use the same panel for their EVF (which I believe is made by Epson) . . . the Sony is too contrasty . . . the Leica T isn't contrasty enough . . . The Fuji is nice and quick, but it's both too contrasty and too saturated . . . the Olympus got it just about right . . and yes, I've used them all
    Jono,

sorry to step in here, but I myself was shooting the EM1 for almost a year and some months ago I said similar than you that I prefer the EM1 EVF - you remember my post?

Meanwhile after using the XT1 for almost 3 months I must say that I prefer the XT1 EVF. It is mich faster, sharper and brightness of the EVF can be adjusted. It took a while to get used to it but after that I prefer the XT1 EVF. Especially when you make EV adjustments the results can be much easier be judged than from the EM1 - this is at least how I feel. The only disadvantage to the EM1 - this has an automatic brightness adjustment which is handy in some situations. All of this is of course also a matter of taste .....

Having said that, I would expect Leica to upgrade their M cameras soon with any of the new 2.4MP EVFs - easiest would be IMHO to use the Leica T EVF and coupling. My fear is that the current processor used in the M will be to slow for this, which means we will have most likely to wait till the next major release of the M. Besides from this I really like the new MP and have some hard time ti resist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Jono,

sorry to step in here, but I myself was shooting the EM1 for almost a year and some months ago I said similar than you that I prefer the EM1 EVF - you remember my post?

Meanwhile after using the XT1 for almost 3 months I must say that I prefer the XT1 EVF. It is mich faster, sharper and brightness of the EVF can be adjusted. It took a while to get used to it but after that I prefer the XT1 EVF. Especially when you make EV adjustments the results can be much easier be judged than from the EM1 - this is at least how I feel. The only disadvantage to the EM1 - this has an automatic brightness adjustment which is handy in some situations. All of this is of course also a matter of taste .....
    Exactly - and I was just prodding a little

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Having said that, I would expect Leica to upgrade their M cameras soon with any of the new 2.4MP EVFs - easiest would be IMHO to use the Leica T EVF and coupling. My fear is that the current processor used in the M will be to slow for this, which means we will have most likely to wait till the next major release of the M. Besides from this I really like the new MP and have some hard time ti resist
    I'm almost certain they won't upgrade the current M with any of the EVFs. They can't use the T, as it has a completely different hot shoe design . . . They won't use the VF4. So, for whatever reason, don't expect it. Anyway, the problem with the EVF/Live view on the M is the response time, not the resolution, and putting a higher resolution EVF on is likely to make that worse not better.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hardly a fanboy of ANY platform; cameras, computers or otherwise.

Sludgy greens? Now you're talking about the sensor...

One might think you're an Olympus fanboy.
    Touche

Nice that you admit the problems with the Fuji sensor

Just this guy you know

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Touche

Nice that you admit the problems with the Fuji sensor

The jury's still out on this one; it has a LOT to do with the RAW conversion software. Obviously ACR is the worst (but has improved). The rest are better in a couple of areas (greens, sharpness, etc.). I suspect there will be more tweaking to come from all concerned.

Of course, nobody's perfect. See also: Leica M8. The IR contamination continues to this day with the M, only less so.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The jury's still out on this one; it has a LOT to do with the RAW conversion software. Obviously ACR is the worst (but has improved). The rest are better in a couple of areas (greens, sharpness, etc.). I suspect there will be more tweaking to come from all concerned.
    I think Iridient does best - but changing your RAW converter to suit a camera is a big deal - I had a number of images which were simply unusable (whichever RAW converter you used). Sure - I'm in a different position in that I do a great deal of landscape stuff where foliage really matters, but still, from my point of view it was a certain deal killer.

Of course, nobody's perfect. See also: Leica M8. The IR contamination continues to this day with the M, only less so.
    Indeed - but the pictures with the M8 were always recoverable - even if you had to go to black and white - I had shots with the X-T1 which were simply unusable (smudgy green mess) - not many - but some.

As for the M - yes, there is some IR contamination (although it's never caused me any problem) - but there is with most other cameras as well, and some might say that the only way to be sure to remove it has unfortunate implications with the colour in general.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I would love to buy a Leica camera that is actually technically sound (including its electronics up to snuff) and let's me use my M and R lenses equally well.

Unfortunately, the M-P ain't it.
    Stick with the a7 since it is technically sound except to me for the shutter. Maybe the next generation a7x will have fully electronic shutter. I will try that one.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not I Ray
    The same processor, the same sensor, the same firmware - no need to test.

Hopefully the extra memory is also faster memory, in which case Lou you might find it worthwhile.

I found the sapphire glass update of the M9p well worthwhile, but the normal M already has good glass (haven't scratched mine yet).

To be honest, I haven't seen one, and although it looks fine, I certainly won't be buying one (my two weatherbeaten Ms are quite enough).

All the best
    We will see.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess they just fixed that issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So as way of an update, the M-P works much better for my use and purposes than my M240's. No battery removal after 3k images.