The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

Biglou

Finally, the perfect M!

;)
Well no, it does not allow the good EVFs availiable now.
I did not buy the M waiting for this much needed improvement but now thinks i should not expect it this year after this introduction.

jonoslack

Finally, the perfect M!

;)
:chug::salute::ROTFL:

One Day Jack, One Day. At least it's kind of perfectible, In that there are obvious things which must be adhered to (rangefinder etc.). Much more difficult and nebulous to perfect a dSLR.

To be honest, give it a faster processer (much), a better EVF (much) and make it the size of an M6 classic and I'd be hard pushed to want more. Would that be the perfect M? :lecture:

jonoslack

Not the LCD, the EVF. The Fuji unit is superb.
I was talking about the EVF
IMHO It's not as good as the E-M1 - it's too saturated and has too much contrast - the E-M1 is much better at fine detail and subtle lighting variations. . . . . and as far as I know those cameras all use the same panel for their EVF (which I believe is made by Epson) . . . the Sony is too contrasty . . . the Leica T isn't contrasty enough . . . The Fuji is nice and quick, but it's both too contrasty and too saturated . . . the Olympus got it just about right . . and yes, I've used them all

KeithL

:chug::salute::ROTFL:
To be honest, give it a faster processer (much), a better EVF (much) and make it the size of an M6 classic and I'd be hard pushed to want more. Would that be the perfect M? :lecture:
If and when they go with that faster processer then for pity's sake, Jono, please beg them to also go with moveable focus points :facesmack:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
IMHO It's not as good as the E-M1 - it's too saturated and has too much contrast - the E-M1 is much better at fine detail and subtle lighting variations. . . . . and as far as I know those cameras all use the same panel for their EVF (which I believe is made by Epson) . . . the Sony is too contrasty . . . the Leica T isn't contrasty enough . . . The Fuji is nice and quick, but it's both too contrasty and too saturated . . . the Olympus got it just about right . . and yes, I've used them all
I have heard that as the EVF view is based on the JPG you can go negative on contrast and color and improve both....

But I assume that means you need to do JPG and RAW to have a file to work with that will match your view of the scene.

Bob

bradhusick

I made my own M-P with my black M240 and two black stickers. I will sell anybody here two black stickers for half the price of the Leica "upgrade". ;)

Double Negative

Not Available
The Fuji can all be adjusted in the menu(s).

jonoslack

The Fuji can all be adjusted in the menu(s).
They all can. Doesn't alter the basic situation (or the sludgy greens). Whatever. You're sounding increasingly like a Fuji fanboy!

At least we can all agree that the M EVF leaves room for improvement. But at least it has a rangefinder to back it up in those 'non EVF moments' :)

Double Negative

Not Available
They all can. Doesn't alter the basic situation (or the sludgy greens). Whatever. You're sounding increasingly like a Fuji fanboy!
Hardly a fanboy of ANY platform; cameras, computers or otherwise.

Sludgy greens? Now you're talking about the sensor...

One might think you're an Olympus fanboy. ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jono,

sorry to step in here, but I myself was shooting the EM1 for almost a year and some months ago I said similar than you that I prefer the EM1 EVF - you remember my post?

Meanwhile after using the XT1 for almost 3 months I must say that I prefer the XT1 EVF. It is mich faster, sharper and brightness of the EVF can be adjusted. It took a while to get used to it but after that I prefer the XT1 EVF. Especially when you make EV adjustments the results can be much easier be judged than from the EM1 - this is at least how I feel. The only disadvantage to the EM1 - this has an automatic brightness adjustment which is handy in some situations. All of this is of course also a matter of taste .....

Having said that, I would expect Leica to upgrade their M cameras soon with any of the new 2.4MP EVFs - easiest would be IMHO to use the Leica T EVF and coupling. My fear is that the current processor used in the M will be to slow for this, which means we will have most likely to wait till the next major release of the M. Besides from this I really like the new MP and have some hard time ti resist :)

jonoslack

Hi Peter
Jono,

sorry to step in here, but I myself was shooting the EM1 for almost a year and some months ago I said similar than you that I prefer the EM1 EVF - you remember my post?

Meanwhile after using the XT1 for almost 3 months I must say that I prefer the XT1 EVF. It is mich faster, sharper and brightness of the EVF can be adjusted. It took a while to get used to it but after that I prefer the XT1 EVF. Especially when you make EV adjustments the results can be much easier be judged than from the EM1 - this is at least how I feel. The only disadvantage to the EM1 - this has an automatic brightness adjustment which is handy in some situations. All of this is of course also a matter of taste .....
Exactly - and I was just prodding a little:poke:

Having said that, I would expect Leica to upgrade their M cameras soon with any of the new 2.4MP EVFs - easiest would be IMHO to use the Leica T EVF and coupling. My fear is that the current processor used in the M will be to slow for this, which means we will have most likely to wait till the next major release of the M. Besides from this I really like the new MP and have some hard time ti resist :)
I'm almost certain they won't upgrade the current M with any of the EVFs. They can't use the T, as it has a completely different hot shoe design . . . They won't use the VF4. So, for whatever reason, don't expect it. Anyway, the problem with the EVF/Live view on the M is the response time, not the resolution, and putting a higher resolution EVF on is likely to make that worse not better.

Double Negative

Not Available
Touche :)

Nice that you admit the problems with the Fuji sensor :)
;)

The jury's still out on this one; it has a LOT to do with the RAW conversion software. Obviously ACR is the worst (but has improved). The rest are better in a couple of areas (greens, sharpness, etc.). I suspect there will be more tweaking to come from all concerned.

Of course, nobody's perfect. See also: Leica M8. The IR contamination continues to this day with the M, only less so.

jonoslack

;)

The jury's still out on this one; it has a LOT to do with the RAW conversion software. Obviously ACR is the worst (but has improved). The rest are better in a couple of areas (greens, sharpness, etc.). I suspect there will be more tweaking to come from all concerned.
I think Iridient does best - but changing your RAW converter to suit a camera is a big deal - I had a number of images which were simply unusable (whichever RAW converter you used). Sure - I'm in a different position in that I do a great deal of landscape stuff where foliage really matters, but still, from my point of view it was a certain deal killer.

Of course, nobody's perfect. See also: Leica M8. The IR contamination continues to this day with the M, only less so.
Indeed - but the pictures with the M8 were always recoverable - even if you had to go to black and white - I had shots with the X-T1 which were simply unusable (smudgy green mess) - not many - but some.

As for the M - yes, there is some IR contamination (although it's never caused me any problem) - but there is with most other cameras as well, and some might say that the only way to be sure to remove it has unfortunate implications with the colour in general.