The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another one of those ' which lens ' post..

rayyan

:shocked:

When I think I have all figured it out, I start wavering...

FL-wise I am a 35-90mm person.

35mm is covered with my Fuji X100S.

lux 50 asph + cron 75 asph or lux 50 asph + Elmarit-M 90 ( E46 )??

Heart says 50/75; But....

What would you do?

Thanks.

p.s or just the 50...

erudolph

Me too Rayyan. I rarely go anywhere and will be traveling and have been trying to answer this question for myself.

Stuart Richardson

35mm and 75mm on the M. Or 50mm and 75mm. Never really a fan of the 90mm and up on the M. Sure, the lenses are lovely, but they are quite small for framing and fussier to focus. The 75mm summicron is a superb lens and very useful for a lot of different tasks -- portraits, landscapes, and so on. Just a slight bit more reach than normal. Some think the 50mm is too close, but I think they are different enough to make it having both in a kit. Shooting both at the same time is a bit more of a mixed bag. I would put the money towards a 35mm, despite having the X100s...35mm is just an exceptionally useful focal length, and I think 35mm and 75mm is fundamentally a better two lens kit than either a 50mm and 70mm or a 50mm and 90mm. You get two truly different views -- slight wide and slight tele. If you gravitate towards natural perspectives, they are two very useful lenses to have.

Godfrey

:shocked:
When I think I have all figured it out, I start wavering...
FL-wise I am a 35-90mm person.
35mm is covered with my Fuji X100S.
lux 50 asph + cron 75 asph or lux 50 asph + Elmarit-M 90 ( E46 )??
Heart says 50/75; But....
What would you do?
Thanks.
p.s or just the 50...
Hi Rayyan,

When I carry the Leica CL, the standard kit I use is 40/90/21. Works beautifully for me, I once carried that setup all the time. Most pictures are made with the 40mm.

Last trip I took with the M9 I carried 35/50/90. The 50mm took more than half my shots, 35mm about 35%, 90mm the remaining 15%.

Next trip I took with the A7 and carried 24/50/90. I used the 24 and 50 lenses a bit more equally, the 90 about 20%. Seems to be a more equal balance of use with this trio, for me.

What should you do? Heck if I know! Carry what you're comfortable with, and when you're done, see what you used and modify from there. ;-)

G

Double Negative

Not Available
I'd say 50/90. I love the Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 lens. Max out your range on the top end with plenty of visual difference in between it and the 50.

I guess I'm just not a 75mm fan. The framelines don't help the situation.

rayyan

Ed, Stuart, Godfrey...

Thanks a lot for your responses.

For me, one of the joys of travel is to figure out the lenses I should take.
I hate the travel to the airports, the transport journey, the arrivals and departures.

Once arrived, I forget the agony of reaching my destination.

The real joy comes when I find that I have brought the wrong lenses!!

I shall be using film and digital this trip, soon I hope; if the wife decides between
two destinations we have focused on..England or South Korea.

She prefers S. Korea. I am more for England. 17 hrs vs 6 hrs of travel time,being a major consideration for me.

I am leaning towards Stuart recommendation of 35/75 combo. F2 would be very sufficient for S.Korea but for England in Oct/Nov, it might be so so.

But this quandary is one of the best parts of travel...for me.

Thanks guys,much appreciated.

p.s. Won't the asph be too contrasty for 400 film?

Godfrey

I am leaning towards Stuart recommendation of 35/75 combo. F2 would be very sufficient for S.Korea but for England in Oct/Nov, it might be so so.
That's close to what my Pentax DSLR kit became at the end ... DA21/3.2 and FA43/1.9 Limiteds on APS-C format so equivalent 31 and 65 mm. It works well, well enough that I almost kept the K10D just to keep using those two lenses.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lens speed—f/2 is plenty fast enough IMO, even for ISO 400 film. If you have a contrasty lens and are shooting on film, just modify the processing to reduce contrast. For digital, capture raw mode so you have processing options.

I agree on the other points of travel. Getting there is an endurance test. :)

erudolph

I like David's one for scenery one for people post. I bought my wife a Sony RX100M3 and liked it so much that I got one for myself, my first pocket camera and really first zoom lens ever. It's pretty good and can do some of the work of grabbing travel photos. In terms of Leica, I'm on the fence between going with the 28 & 75mm Summicrons or just taking the 50 Summicron. Am really trying to keep the volume of camera stuff (and stuff in general) down.

rayyan

After playing around for the past few days, here is what is going..

cron 35 asph.
lux 50 asph.
macro elmar-m 90.

Seascape

I see you have settled on the kit, but I just wanted to support Stuart's comments on the 35/75 two lens kit.

I find shooting usually comes down to 80% 35mm, 20% 75mm when travelling.
To me the 75 is the ideal complement to the 35mm.

I also agree that Leica 35's are the preferred way to go, there are so many superb options at this point, from a 1958 Summaron to a current Lux FLE, there is a leica 35 for any taste.

rayyan

I see you have settled on the kit, but I just wanted to support Stuart's comments on the 35/75 two lens kit.

I find shooting usually comes down to 80% 35mm, 20% 75mm when travelling.
To me the 75 is the ideal complement to the 35mm.

I also agree that Leica 35's are the preferred way to go, there are so many superb options at this point, from a 1958 Summaron to a current Lux FLE, there is a leica 35 for any taste.
I put the 75 on either the ME or the MP. On the other, I put the 35 or the 50. I let them hang around my shoulders, one on the shoulder, one in the bag.

I just carried one cam with the 75 just walking here and there.

I did not feel like carrying the 75 for too long..:mad: I love the 75, but realized that carrying it for only a few hours, put me off it.

That is not what I want to lug a lens around for; oh!, how I luv the 75 though.
On return, I might get a summarit 75.

That is the reason, I tested my Macro Elmar-M. I felt ok carrying this on one cam with either the 35/50 on the other.

It all has to do, for me, with age and physical condition.

Thank you.

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey.

And you too chief!! Once you decide between the 24 and the superb 28/2..:D

Best of luck.
LOL! Yeah, the Magpie Syndrome can lead to analysis paralysis and the expenditure of a great deal of money. =8^O

The good news is that I went walking with my Color-Skopar 28mm on the M9 yesterday, using the Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH lens code as suggested by a couple of folks. It performs mighty nicely with that lens code. That might indeed save me a couple thousand dollars and kill the Magpie... :)

G

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I like either the 35/50 or 35/75 kit, but I always seem to find a little corner of my bag in which to slip the 21mm SEM. I'm perpetually surprised at how often I use it...or miss it.

rayyan

Well here I am in Doha.

Excellent airport and facilities. Beautifully laid out with clear signs.
Lots of expansion going on.

Flight leaves in another 2.5 hrs, non-stop to Seoul.
Btw, Qatar airways is an excellent way to travel. Super service.

Catch you guys later.

Regards.