The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M240 Viewfinder question

peterb

Could anyone tell me what the magnification and the apparent horizontal field of view through the optical view finder is on the M240 (or M9)?

Thanks!

Peter

Godfrey

Could anyone tell me what the magnification and the apparent horizontal field of view through the optical view finder is on the M240 (or M9)?
I believe the M9 and M240 both use .68x magnification in their finders. This makes the 28mm frame lines a little easier to see than on, say, an M4-P or M6 with .72x magnification, at the expense of a bit of size for 50-75-90-135 frame lines and focusing patch. But the total viewfinder FoV is still pretty close to the same if you look to the physical edges of the finder.

Personally, I like the M4-2 finder the most as it has .72x magnification with just 35-50-90-135 frame lines. I mostly use a 50mm lens on the M, this is the most comfortable and least busy finder to my eye.

For the M9, I bought a 1.25x auxiliary magnifier which I often use with 50-90-135mm lenses to enhance focusing accuracy and frame line comfort.

Godfrey

The M240 is .68 magnification.

Personally, I think the M3 has the 'best' viewfinder.
It's always a matter of personal preference. The M3 has a 1x viewfinder that's an advantage for 50mm and longer lenses. I wasn't thrilled by the rounded corners on the 50mm frame lines, however, and of course you need lenses with 'goggles' for wides, or auxiliary viewfinders.

G