The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica S Coming at Photokina 2014!

tjv

I for one am not in the slightest bit interested in viewing images on screen, but I am a dying breed for sure. I'd prefer a 4x5 sensor, but if I could crop a larger sensor like the one in the S and still have great resolution, I'd be happy. Trouble is, I'd prefer a 60 mpx file. 40-50 mpx is a bit small for my preferred print sizes.

fotografz

I for one am not in the slightest bit interested in viewing images on screen, but I am a dying breed for sure. I'd prefer a 4x5 sensor, but if I could crop a larger sensor like the one in the S and still have great resolution, I'd be happy. Trouble is, I'd prefer a 60 mpx file. 40-50 mpx is a bit small for my preferred print sizes.
Interesting.

What print sizes are you doing? The differences between 50 and 60 meg aren't all that great from my own experience.

I've made 8' wide prints for trade show booth presentations from a 39 meg file, and the detail was pretty astounding even when viewed closer up … prints that big are rarely viewed as close as they are in a trade-show booth.

Larger prints hold up better than magnified screen views … which those who do not print very often tend to forget.

When I tested the S2 against other MFD solutions, I found that the S lenses made up for the difference in sensor size/resolution … Leica claimed that it their 37 meg S2 was the equivalent of a 50 meg camera, which I viewed with a lot of skepticism, but after my test I believed they were right.

So, depending on the quality and resolution of their next sensor, it could be the equivalent of 60 meg.(?)

I'm highly skeptical of a CMOSIS sensor in an S camera … I do not like the results from the M240, and if they follow suit, I probably won't like it in a S either.

All the better for me, since I may then be able to secure another S2P or S type 006 for a lot less than a new S when the rush to dump older camera happens.

- Marc

tjv

You don't have to convince me about the strength of the S system lenses. I've demoed the system twice and made prints that hold up extremely well to scanned 4x5" film. The problem for me is that I'm not a fan of the 3x2 format, which would mean I'd have to crop a lot. My smallest print size is 30" on the short edge, and the largest 48" on the short edge, so in general I like to print large. Here's hoping the next S is a really winner, with CMOSIS or Sony sensor, as it's a real pleasure to shoot.

Interesting.

What print sizes are you doing? The differences between 50 and 60 meg aren't all that great from my own experience.

I've made 8' wide prints for trade show booth presentations from a 39 meg file, and the detail was pretty astounding even when viewed closer up … prints that big are rarely viewed as close as they are in a trade-show booth.

Larger prints hold up better than magnified screen views … which those who do not print very often tend to forget.

When I tested the S2 against other MFD solutions, I found that the S lenses made up for the difference in sensor size/resolution … Leica claimed that it their 37 meg S2 was the equivalent of a 50 meg camera, which I viewed with a lot of skepticism, but after my test I believed they were right.

So, depending on the quality and resolution of their next sensor, it could be the equivalent of 60 meg.(?)

I'm highly skeptical of a CMOSIS sensor in an S camera … I do not like the results from the M240, and if they follow suit, I probably won't like it in a S either.

All the better for me, since I may then be able to secure another S2P or S type 006 for a lot less than a new S when the rush to dump older camera happens.

- Marc

JorisV

In the above-mentioned interview towards the end Alfred Schopf says that Leica is still selling 300-350 M-E (essentially an M9) cameras per month.

So you are not the only one…