Site Sponsors

Thread: New Leica S Coming at Photokina 2014!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

New Leica S Coming at Photokina 2014!

There is definitely anew Leica S that is confirmed coming at Photokina 2014 according to Alfred Schopf:

The demand for our products is generally good. The medium format camera from the S series is, however, reached the end of their life cycle. Since it will soon be at the Photokina news. The same applies to the X-2 with the permanently installed lenses and the APSC sensor, which we will introduce at Photokina the successor. Thus, new system cameras beat the test
    Last edited by Jack; 12th September 2014 at 09:58.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Leica S Coming at Photokina 2014!

Actually TWO. An entry level version at $20K USD and a 4K w/GPS & WiFi for crazy money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    There is definitely a new Leica S[/url] that is confirmed coming at Photokina 2014[/url] according to Alfred Schopf:
    Incredibly well spoken complete with idiom 'you think'
    Last edited by Jack; 12th September 2014 at 09:59.

Post Thanks / Like

If the new model comes in at $20K that will be great news and establish a lower cost base for all S bodies . Maybe a new S 006 for $15K with 2 years warranty . Or if the new S is that much better who knows .

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a <bleep> coming; many have prices.

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    If the new model comes in at $20K that will be great news and establish a lower cost base for all S bodies . Maybe a new S 006 for $15K with 2 years warranty . Or if the new S is that much better who knows .
    That would be nice to see, and speed adoption a bit.
    Last edited by Bob; 12th September 2014 at 11:30.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of months ago my dealer told me that the current S would remain in the product line as a cheaper alternative and that the cmos would be "significantly more expensive".

Post Thanks / Like

The S 006 has been available new with 3 year warranty for 12,495 (from at least one well established Leica dealer in the UK) for months now. That is 10,400 without sales tax, roughly $17K. I'm not sure a $20K "entry level" camera offers anything that doesn't already exist.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wattsy View Post
    The S 006 has been available new with 3 year warranty for 12,495 (from at least one well established Leica dealer in the UK) for months now. That is 10,400 without sales tax, roughly $17K. I'm not sure a $20K "entry level" camera offers anything that doesn't already exist.
    Who knows, it might be "refreshed" - the only thing that would justify the price. I do understand it's at least slightly changed. Unless it's your standard price increase. :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    justify the price
    it's leica we are talking about, right!?

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbn View Post
    it's leica we are talking about, right!?
    Haha! Yes, true, true.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

think the sensor size will increase?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Would the image circle of the glass allow it?I'd like to see a 4x3 ratio in the next sensor,the Sony sensor used in the phase,blad and Pentax would enable this.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems people are complaining about me sharing the news. Okay, fine. You guys are on your own now.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No your using GetDPI as your free advertising campaign to link back to your site and Im done with it. You also can't even put GetDPI in your favorite sites to visit on your website. So another words we are a free advertising venue for you without even the decency to give GetDPI a link back to us. So guess what I will do it , your banned for life. Anyone have a issue with this contact me directly as you should also be linking to the source articles instead of your website. Put it simply we are just your advertising stream. No more
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What Guy said.

However, what Guy did not say I believe everybody should know.. Over the past several months we have received multiple complaints about his linking to his site and asked him to stop, but for whatever reason he did not seem able to.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    That is a big question - the current S sensor is 45x30mm. If the sensor is increased to 44x33mm, then in theory the mirror needs to be deeper. Or, the mirror gets smaller and more magnification would be needed in the OVF. If going the magnification route, I think the net result would be a slightly dimmer OVF. Or, maybe there is enough clearance between the lens and mirror that Leica can make the mirror a couple mm deeper. I thought about measuring this on my S' but chickened out at the thought of sticking a metal calipers instead of the mirror box

If I were Leica, I would have designed the camera to support a larger sensor. Leica's request for a 45x30mm sized sensor is unique. What if that supplier goes away and nobody else will supply that size sensor? Then Leica has to goto Dalsa, Sony or whoever and buy the standard sizes offered. To mitigate that possibility, I would have made the mirror slightly oversized, thus leaving room for a larger mirror if needed.

The Leica S lenses are so large, I think they are designed to cover more than 45x30. I have no proof or anything to substantiate that - other than - "OMG - these lenses are large". If Leica managed a 54mm x 41mm sensor (whatever the size of a P65+ / IQ280 sensor is), I think that would make the S platform more attractive.

If Leica announces a CMOS S at the show and the sensor is 45x30mm, then that will be a pretty good indication that Leica plans to stick to their guns regarding 45x30mm as "the" size for the S - period.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt Leica will stray from 3x2 ratio sensors. I'd be very surprised if they didn't employ a CMOSIS sensor, considering all the R&D they put into the one in the M240. If they do use the Sony sensor, my bet is it'd just be cut down a tiny bit to fit the format, hence the rumours of a sensor resolution "between 40 and 50mpx."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A 30x45 format needs a working IC of 54mm. 33x44 needs 55mm. 36x48 needs 60mm. Would be interesting to know what the S IC's are. A 34x45 only needs 56.4mm, and if the S lenses cover that, it would allow Leica to offer both 3:4 and 2:3 format options in the new S. That could be very attractive...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, how about automatic viewfinder masks like Nikon did with the D3 (and I assume D4?), where you can choose to shoot 4x5 and the area that falls outside of that format blacks out. Now that would be cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, if this could be implemented in a way that the frame edges remain accurate, more options is good. Me, I like 3:2 for landscape, for portrait I crop a bit off the top to get 4:3. (makes AF focussing easier too because I don't have to move the focus point so far away from the eye)

Given the fact that in the future most still images will be viewed at 16:9 screens, I think 3:2 is the better option since you loose less sensor real estate while cropping for 'wide screen'.

Post Thanks / Like

I for one am not in the slightest bit interested in viewing images on screen, but I am a dying breed for sure. I'd prefer a 4x5 sensor, but if I could crop a larger sensor like the one in the S and still have great resolution, I'd be happy. Trouble is, I'd prefer a 60 mpx file. 40-50 mpx is a bit small for my preferred print sizes.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    I for one am not in the slightest bit interested in viewing images on screen, but I am a dying breed for sure. I'd prefer a 4x5 sensor, but if I could crop a larger sensor like the one in the S and still have great resolution, I'd be happy. Trouble is, I'd prefer a 60 mpx file. 40-50 mpx is a bit small for my preferred print sizes.
    Interesting.

What print sizes are you doing? The differences between 50 and 60 meg aren't all that great from my own experience.

I've made 8' wide prints for trade show booth presentations from a 39 meg file, and the detail was pretty astounding even when viewed closer up prints that big are rarely viewed as close as they are in a trade-show booth.

Larger prints hold up better than magnified screen views which those who do not print very often tend to forget.

When I tested the S2 against other MFD solutions, I found that the S lenses made up for the difference in sensor size/resolution Leica claimed that it their 37 meg S2 was the equivalent of a 50 meg camera, which I viewed with a lot of skepticism, but after my test I believed they were right.

So, depending on the quality and resolution of their next sensor, it could be the equivalent of 60 meg.(?)

I'm highly skeptical of a CMOSIS sensor in an S camera I do not like the results from the M240, and if they follow suit, I probably won't like it in a S either.

All the better for me, since I may then be able to secure another S2P or S type 006 for a lot less than a new S when the rush to dump older camera happens.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to convince me about the strength of the S system lenses. I've demoed the system twice and made prints that hold up extremely well to scanned 4x5" film. The problem for me is that I'm not a fan of the 3x2 format, which would mean I'd have to crop a lot. My smallest print size is 30" on the short edge, and the largest 48" on the short edge, so in general I like to print large. Here's hoping the next S is a really winner, with CMOSIS or Sony sensor, as it's a real pleasure to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Interesting.

What print sizes are you doing? The differences between 50 and 60 meg aren't all that great from my own experience.

I've made 8' wide prints for trade show booth presentations from a 39 meg file, and the detail was pretty astounding even when viewed closer up prints that big are rarely viewed as close as they are in a trade-show booth.

Larger prints hold up better than magnified screen views which those who do not print very often tend to forget.

When I tested the S2 against other MFD solutions, I found that the S lenses made up for the difference in sensor size/resolution Leica claimed that it their 37 meg S2 was the equivalent of a 50 meg camera, which I viewed with a lot of skepticism, but after my test I believed they were right.

So, depending on the quality and resolution of their next sensor, it could be the equivalent of 60 meg.(?)

I'm highly skeptical of a CMOSIS sensor in an S camera I do not like the results from the M240, and if they follow suit, I probably won't like it in a S either.

All the better for me, since I may then be able to secure another S2P or S type 006 for a lot less than a new S when the rush to dump older camera happens.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I'm highly skeptical of a CMOSIS sensor in an S camera … I do not like the results from the M240, and if they follow suit, I probably won't like it in a S either.
    In the above-mentioned interview towards the end Alfred Schopf says that Leica is still selling 300-350 M-E (essentially an M9) cameras per month.

So you are not the only one…