The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica S Coming at Photokina 2014!

Double Negative

Not Available
There is definitely anew Leica S that is confirmed coming at Photokina 2014 according to Alfred Schopf:

The demand for our products is generally good. The medium format camera from the S series is, however, reached the end of their life cycle. Since it will soon be at the Photokina news. The same applies to the X-2 with the permanently installed lenses and the APSC sensor, which we will introduce at Photokina the successor. Thus, new system cameras beat the test

Last edited by a moderator:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
If the new model comes in at $20K that will be great news and establish a lower cost base for all S bodies . Maybe a new S 006 for $15K with 2 years warranty . Or if the new S is that much better who knows .

Double Negative

Not Available
There's a <bleep> coming; many have prices.

If the new model comes in at $20K that will be great news and establish a lower cost base for all S bodies . Maybe a new S 006 for $15K with 2 years warranty . Or if the new S is that much better who knows .
That would be nice to see, and speed adoption a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

RVB

A couple of months ago my dealer told me that the current S would remain in the product line as a cheaper alternative and that the cmos would be "significantly more expensive".

wattsy

The S 006 has been available new with 3 year warranty for £12,495 (from at least one well established Leica dealer in the UK) for months now. That is £10,400 without sales tax, roughly $17K. I'm not sure a $20K "entry level" camera offers anything that doesn't already exist.

Double Negative

Not Available
The S 006 has been available new with 3 year warranty for £12,495 (from at least one well established Leica dealer in the UK) for months now. That is £10,400 without sales tax, roughly $17K. I'm not sure a $20K "entry level" camera offers anything that doesn't already exist.
Who knows, it might be "refreshed" - the only thing that would justify the price. I do understand it's at least slightly changed. Unless it's your standard price increase. :/

RVB

think the sensor size will increase?
Would the image circle of the glass allow it?I'd like to see a 4x3 ratio in the next sensor,the Sony sensor used in the phase,blad and Pentax would enable this.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No your using GetDPI as your free advertising campaign to link back to your site and Im done with it. You also can't even put GetDPI in your favorite sites to visit on your website. So another words we are a free advertising venue for you without even the decency to give GetDPI a link back to us. So guess what I will do it , your banned for life. Anyone have a issue with this contact me directly as you should also be linking to the source articles instead of your website. Put it simply we are just your advertising stream. No more

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What Guy said.

However, what Guy did not say I believe everybody should know.. Over the past several months we have received multiple complaints about his linking to his site and asked him to stop, but for whatever reason he did not seem able to.

John Black

think the sensor size will increase?
That is a big question - the current S sensor is 45x30mm. If the sensor is increased to 44x33mm, then in theory the mirror needs to be deeper. Or, the mirror gets smaller and more magnification would be needed in the OVF. If going the magnification route, I think the net result would be a slightly dimmer OVF. Or, maybe there is enough clearance between the lens and mirror that Leica can make the mirror a couple mm deeper. I thought about measuring this on my S' but chickened out at the thought of sticking a metal calipers instead of the mirror box :)

If I were Leica, I would have designed the camera to support a larger sensor. Leica's request for a 45x30mm sized sensor is unique. What if that supplier goes away and nobody else will supply that size sensor? Then Leica has to goto Dalsa, Sony or whoever and buy the standard sizes offered. To mitigate that possibility, I would have made the mirror slightly oversized, thus leaving room for a larger mirror if needed.

The Leica S lenses are so large, I think they are designed to cover more than 45x30. I have no proof or anything to substantiate that - other than - "OMG - these lenses are large". If Leica managed a 54mm x 41mm sensor (whatever the size of a P65+ / IQ280 sensor is), I think that would make the S platform more attractive.

If Leica announces a CMOS S at the show and the sensor is 45x30mm, then that will be a pretty good indication that Leica plans to stick to their guns regarding 45x30mm as "the" size for the S - period.

tjv

I doubt Leica will stray from 3x2 ratio sensors. I'd be very surprised if they didn't employ a CMOSIS sensor, considering all the R&D they put into the one in the M240. If they do use the Sony sensor, my bet is it'd just be cut down a tiny bit to fit the format, hence the rumours of a sensor resolution "between 40 and 50mpx."

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A 30x45 format needs a working IC of 54mm. 33x44 needs 55mm. 36x48 needs 60mm. Would be interesting to know what the S IC's are. A 34x45 only needs 56.4mm, and if the S lenses cover that, it would allow Leica to offer both 3:4 and 2:3 format options in the new S. That could be very attractive...

tjv

Yeah, how about automatic viewfinder masks like Nikon did with the D3 (and I assume D4?), where you can choose to shoot 4x5 and the area that falls outside of that format blacks out. Now that would be cool.

peterv

Sure, if this could be implemented in a way that the frame edges remain accurate, more options is good. Me, I like 3:2 for landscape, for portrait I crop a bit off the top to get 4:3. (makes AF focussing easier too because I don't have to move the focus point so far away from the eye)

Given the fact that in the future most still images will be viewed at 16:9 screens, I think 3:2 is the better option since you loose less sensor real estate while cropping for 'wide screen'.