The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 with the Rebate or m8.2

Gary P

I'm considering a Leica digital rangefinder and have a question of those fortunate to have one. I have an M-6 and understand the RF world and the reasons why, the finely made product, the feel in the hand, the draw it has to pull you into the essence of photography.

So with that, before the end of January I can get a new m8 with the rebate for approx. $3,900 vs a new M8.2 for $5,900. I want a digital rangefinder. Is the extra 2 large for the 8.2 worth it? I know about the quieter shutter mechanism and the sapphire glass and few other differences, but are the extra's worth it? Is there any difference in the picture quality?

I'm looking forward to your insights!

wolverine

Check out Robert White in england. With the current exchange rate on dollars to pounds will save a significant amount. Same warranty expect you also get the passport warranty.

Terry

Well, I would spend even less and buy the beautiful chrome one I have for sale on the buy/sell section for $2800.... upgrade it, get a year warranty and then you still break even vs M8 and have money left over for a lens vs. the M8.2.

Seascape

The M8.2 is a more refined M8, but gives exactly the same performance at the end of the day. I personally would rather save that $2K towards a better performer like a FF M body, or better still a R10......YMMV !!

bensonga

or better still a R10.....
Anyone have a word on when this R10 is coming? I've got one (and only one) R-series lens (50mm Summicron) and I've been holding off on buying a R8/R9 until I see the R10 (digital, I presume).

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Chris C

Gary - You really have to try them side by side, so get yourself to a dealer with both versions for demonstration. Of course the files are the same, but the difference in vibration and shutter noise [and possibly shutter release feel too] would be the deal breaker for many but not all. In your shoes, with your money, I'd not hesitate in going for the M8-2. In my shoes, with my money; I'm stuck with the M8-lite.

............. Chris

charlesphoto

Last week KEH had a couple of new M8's listed on ebay for $4700 which would have made them $3200 with the rebate. I opted to go for Terry's used M8 instead but this was very tempting. Add on the upgrade and you would be looking at $4400 (for frames and shutter) with three years warranty. Alas, they are gone.

charlesphoto

Well, I would spend even less and buy the beautiful chrome one I have for sale on the buy/sell section for $2800.... upgrade it, get a year warranty and then you still break even vs M8 and have money left over for a lens vs. the M8.2.
I highly recommend this option!

woodyspedden

I would suggest that all concerned with this issue read the latest LFI. It tackles these issues in a bit of detail.

Fair to say the IQ should be equal between the two.

Unless you have a very scratched LCD cover, no need for the new Sapphire.

You lose one stop of speed with the new shutter.

Frame line accuracy is a personal issue. I like the new ones for sure.

Bottom line for me. Get a good condition M8 (Check out Terry who has both a black and a chrome version) and get the upgrades you desire. Even if you go with the full boat (which I did LOL) you end up spending $2200 and have the Vulcanite covers, the new shutter, new sapphire cover, new framelines and using Terry's pricing for the M8 itself you will have invested a total of $2800 (her price for the M8) plus $2200 for all of the upgrades for a total of $5K. A new M8.2 will run you about $5900 so you have saved $900 and lost only the simplified mode (S Mode) which for most photographers appears irrelevant. JMHO and YMMV.

By the way my M8 upgraded was of a body purchased in November 2006. Unit now looks and functions like new. Love it!

Woody Spedden