The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica X (Typ 113)

Godfrey

I wouldnt worry about the lens at all.
My biggest minus for the X-cameras and T is the delay after taking an image. But I guess I can/have to live with that.
I've not been at all worried about the Summilux lens on the X or its image qualities. I test as a matter of course with any new camera to learn it and see what its strengths and weaknesses are. :)

The interframe pause is a bit long on the X but not intrusively, and it might be addressable in a firmware revision. Just like I hope they address the other three-four bugs I've filed.

All of these bugs are minor nits in the larger scheme of things. The Leica X typ 113 is a very good camera that suits my uses very well indeed. I was only concerned that it wasn't going to be enough different from the X2 that it wasn't worth the price, but it is clearly a superior performer that I like using even more.

G

Godfrey

After a month of using the X typ 113 only, I pulled out the X2 for a few days. The X2, even with half case fitted, is noticeably smaller and a trifle lighter. The Voigtländer 35mm OVF fits it a bit better too. But then I picked up the X again and ... Ah, Satori!

Honestly, if your interest is in buying a digital M body on which you'll fit a 35mm Summilux and nothing else, buy the Leica X instead. Put the OVF on it, set it to Face Detect AF, and just go shooting. If you want to, fit the EVF for more precision in framing and exposure preview, etc, or just use the LCD for that. Despite the format and DoF differences, you'll likely find few differences in your photographs, you'll have spent a fraction of what the M+Summilux costs, and you'll likely carry the camera more as it is smaller and lighter.

Now, the negative side of the X after using it, using it as I would my only camera, for a month:

- I've completely given up on the GPS feature with the EVF until a firmware update. No matter how long I have the EVF fitted and the camera powered up, the GPS unit in the EVF never connects with the satellites or embeds other than all zeros in the EXIF data. If anyone else has see it connect, I'd be interested to know.

- I like the EVF, and find it occasionally useful. But, it adds a lot of bulk to the camera and tends to get caught on the bag as I take the camera in and out. It also consumes a healthy bit of battery power. I use it only infrequently as a result, preferring to use an OVF.

- My OVF for the X switched from the Voigtländer to the Leica unit. The Leica unit is easier to get my eye behind with glasses on and presents a larger, clearer image. But it's a bit wider apparent FoV, closer to the actual lens FoV, so framing with it is a bit more critical. In particular, you have to watch the 'near distance' marking at the top of the frame and make sure that nothing critical runs over that at any distance below 6' or so or it will be clipped out of the frame. Easy to get used to, but also easy to mess up occasionally. The Voigtländer 35mm shows a tighter apparent FoV (the lens is probably 15% wider coverage) so this rarely happens with it.

- All of the controls on the X take a very light touch. And despite the camera being a bit larger than the X2, it's a bit easier to accidentally press the menu button now and then. (Sorry Leica, but that should be the center button on the four way controller or a separate button in a different location; it's too easy to hit it by mistake and accidentally change a setting without even knowing which one you changed.) Ideally, the controls should all have slightly heavier springs and detents. When my Arte di Mano half case arrives, this will get better as the additional size of the half case and the finger rest it provides will let me handle the camera more easily without hitting buttons by accident. (That's what I find with the X2's A&A half case too.)

I didn't mention the other three bugs I found, but still ... that's a pretty short list of negatives; the positives are far longer.

I'm very pleased with this purchase. A small bag with it and the M4-2 + Color-Skopar 35mm lens will make a light, handy, digital+film traveling kit. :)

G

Godfrey

I took the X to a Halloween party last evening. Snapped a few photos there, most without flash. Learned two things:

- The in-camera JPEG engine is very very good. It produced a bunch of out-of-camera JPEGs at ISO 3200 made in extraordinarily weird light that look great. It's a bit challenging to replicate the same thing with Lightroom from the raw, although possible (near-saturated red or blue channel exposures...).

- I should have used the EVF. In examining the 30+ exposures I made, I see about five that would be great but the AF latched onto the wrong thing. Now, this was all in Program Mode exposure with auto ISO and AWB, AF set to 11pt. I should have thought to switch it to Face Detect. Plus most of the exposures were at light levels requiring ISO 3200 and f/1.7 to f/2.2 ... pretty challenging circumstances. Oh yes, focus assist illuminator off too... just to make it work a bit harder. ;-)

Using the EVF would not have improved the AF performance, but I would have seen instantly that it acquired the wrong target and just adjusted with manual focus. I did that on three occasions using the LCD and all of them are razor sharp.

raist3d

I had a chance to play with this camera today, but mainly as an assessment of ergonomics, build.

The camera felt nice. It weights less than I expected. I really like the controls and I like the resistance on the focus ring. I was a bit surprised that I saw more plastic in more areas than I expected but at least it did not feel "cringy" or sub-par.

A bit disappointed with the aperture changing to F2.8 as you go closer. It's unfortunate because it could have made for nicer portraits, but at least for shooting at night (my interest), you can still shoot F1.7 and focus with reasonable scene coverage.

I could be wrong- but did not see the flash being able to be bounced (by pulling it back once opened). Thickness wise it seemed a bit big to me, but then it's an F1.7 lens.

I liked the down to Earth menus and the fast response of them. I always look for that.

In the end, I doubt I would go for one for a few reasons. I realize this is Leica we are talking about so it will be pricey, but at the asking price of $2295+ USD ($2495?), with no view finder, and the lens aperture issue, I find really really hard to pick over say, a Fuji X100t.

The Fuji X100(x) lens series is pretty good, I would expect the Leica lens to be better. I could not take pictures but what I saw showing on the LCD looked very nice with very good tonality in B&W. Another advantage it would have over the Fuji is that the Fuji Xtrans cameras (not sure if the non-xtrans A1 included) run about 1/2 to 2/3rds of a stop ISO wise behind the other cameras.... (note: current Olympus m4/3rds also runs behind but by 1/3rd to 1/2 a stop).

So the Leica taking a shot at ISO say 4000 would require Fuji to dial 64000. Combine that with F1.7 for wide coverage at night and the Leica does have one advantage over the Fuji there. But the Fuji also has so much other things... photographic wise.

Anyhow, I was intrigued, had a chance to check it out. Seems like a nice camera, just wished Leica had an OVF on it at the asking price (by that I mean built into the body, not an attachment).

- Ricardo

Paratom

Raist,
I once haad an original Fuji X100 and a X-Pro 1.
I also have x2 and X-Vario.
The Leica X have a different color signature than Fuji. I prefer Leica but I guess its a matter of taste and one should look at images.
From the handling side I think the Leica X-Line is more simple and intuitive, on the other side the optical viewfinder of the X100 (s/t) with parallex correction and showing where the camera has focused is a big plus for the Fuji IMO.
Personally I will stay with the X2 at the moment because I really like the smaller size.

Amin

Jono, I enjoyed all your new articles about the new Leica cameras and find the Leica X, D-LUX, and V-LUX all very attractive as a complement to the M system. My question is which one of those three you liked the best and why. I think I'll probably get the D-LUX but not quite certain...

Godfrey

Jono, I enjoyed all your new articles about the new Leica cameras and find the Leica X, D-LUX, and V-LUX all very attractive as a complement to the M system. My question is which one of those three you liked the best and why. I think I'll probably get the D-LUX but not quite certain...
I'm not Jono, but ... ;-)

I have had the Leica X type 113 for about a month now. It is just what I was looking for... right size, right build, etc etc. It is an excellent complement to the M9.

But what would be a superb complement to it is the V-Lux ... the X for single camera/prime lens goodness, the V-Lux for maximum focal length versatility.

G

jonoslack

HI There Amin
Sorry to be so slow in replying. Well, I suppose if you're going to have one of them, then perhaps the V-lux is best because it gives you so many more options (hardly fits in a pocket though!).

I really liked all three of them - personally 35mm isn't my focal length, but if there was a 50 then I'd really like that. The D-lux is great - but I'd be using my M for those focal lengths.

All the best

Godfrey

The Ongoing Leica X typ 113 Saga ...

- Still loving it. It's my go to camera now.

- Getting comfortable using Manual exposure with AutoISO a bit lately ... Handy! It's funny because when I had the Pentax K10D with TAv mode, I couldn't think of a way to use it effectively, but it's so natural to use with the X. Just set the aperture and exposure time you want to shoot at, turn on AutoISO and let sensitivity slide to accommodate. Works very well.

- The Arte di Mano half-case for X Vario and X typ 113 in Bordo Red that I ordered on October 3 finally shipped today, should be here early next week. Yay!

The X is inspiring me to simplify and pare down the equipment jumble in the closet. It's amazing what you can do with a camera that doesn't get in the way and just gives you good reason to shoot.

G

kiw

I love the X (Type 113). I use it with the new visoflex. All the talk about "I wish there was a build inn viewfinder" is for me no problem. I like the freedom to choose between with or without. My only wish is the "missing ae Lock button".
What is the idea of not having that option? I know that I can go full manuel, but on my other cameras my workflow is aperture mode, spotmetering, ae Lock and then compose.
Maybe there is and possibillity that Leica could fix this in firmware?
Sorry for my poor English ( I am a newbee here and from Denmark)

BS
Kim

Godfrey

Welcome to the forum, Kim. Your English is just fine!

... My only wish is the "missing ae Lock button".
What is the idea of not having that option? I know that I can go full manuel, but on my other cameras my workflow is aperture mode, spotmetering, ae Lock and then compose.
Maybe there is and possibillity that Leica could fix this in firmware? ...
A separate AE-Lock would be nice, but what button would you assign it to? I'm not sure how they can do it in firmware without giving up some other function.

AE is locked with the half-press of the shutter release, so it begs a slightly different shooting workflow:
- target the AF and exposure system
- half press the shutter release
- re-frame and release the shutter
or
- focus manually
- target the exposure system
- half-press the shutter release
- re-frame and release the shutter​

Perhaps a little different from having a separate AE-Lock button, but it works ok.

G

kiw

Thank you Godfrey!

What about the "down bottom " on the 4 way pad. It seems that to be unused ?

I know the other tecnichs, but i still feel it to be a little bit aqaurd, when i am used to do it the other way around.

BR
Kim

Godfrey

Thank you Godfrey!

What about the "down bottom " on the 4 way pad. It seems that to be unused ?

I know the other tecnichs, but i still feel it to be a little bit aqaurd, when i am used to do it the other way around.
Hmm. I didn't think of that. If it can be targeted as an independent entity in the firmware, that provides an option. Although it's not in a great place for an AE-Lock or AF-Lock button.

We'll see what they do when the firmware update comes out.

G

Godfrey

Good news: the Arte di Mano half-case for the Leica X arrived this evening. It is beautiful, a superb fit and lovely finish. Feels great in the hand, gives me that "little bit more" to hold onto and a good gripping surface.

Nice! :)

G

Godfrey

Here's a snap of the X with half-case fitted, courtesy one iPhone 4S...

It fits beautifully, as well as the A&A half-cases: very secure without being too snug or difficult to get on and off.

G

Just got the Leica grip for my X Vario and my X Typ 113. All I can do is agree with Godfrey:"Ah, Satori!"

Makes a fantastic change for the ergonomics. Also got the hood for X Vario and that looks quite good as well.. Decent pair for upcoming trip to Teneriffe (starting this sunday).

//Juha