The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica X (Typ 113)

jonoslack

Hi There
Nobody seems to have mentioned this new camera from Leica - but in my opinion it's pretty significant as a compact APS-c camera with the fastest lens in the class and consistent manual controls. It also has manual focus with a proper distance scale.

In form and function it's just like the X-Vario, except that it has a fast f1.7 35mm (equivalent lens).

I've done a small article on my website in case you're interested.

Godfrey

Hi There
Nobody seems to have mentioned this new camera from Leica - but in my opinion it's pretty significant as a compact APS-c camera with the fastest lens in the class and consistent manual controls. It also has manual focus with a proper distance scale.

In form and function it's just like the X-Vario, except that it has a fast f1.7 35mm (equivalent lens).

Link?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi There

Nice write-up and the pictures are up to your standard stellar color contrast perspective and content presentation.

Did you use Aperture or something else...or just OOC JPGs as the EXIF suggests sRGB.

So now DLux 4 K or the Leica X.....

Do hope you all do not have to revise the Union Jack!

Bob

JorisV

How is the performance of the lens when shooting wide open?

I parted with the Fuji X100s because the lens is very soft when shooting wide open and relatively close.

I was hoping that the X 113 could improve on that...?

Godfrey

Looks nice, Jono!

The new EVF would certainly be a plus, along with the new lens. Still have my X2 though, not sure that I really want to keep it or buy something as replacement at the moment.

Too many cameras...!

G

rayyan

As usual, an informative intro to the cam for the prospective user, supported by excellent imagery.

Best regards to you and yours.

jonoslack

How is the performance of the lens when shooting wide open?

I parted with the Fuji X100s because the lens is very soft when shooting wide open and relatively close.

I was hoping that the X 113 could improve on that...?
HI There
As I mention in the review, Leica have restricted the Aperture to f2.8 for very close shooting to keep the image quality up to their standards.

Apart from this I've found the quality at f1.7 to be great - the bokeh is excellent and the focus is fine.

all the best

Bazwell

Thanks for this Jono! Looks very tempting. Can you confirm that the lens has filter threads? In bright light I would hope to be able to mount an nd filter since the shutter speed only goes to 1/2000. Maybe with the base iso being 100 it is not so much of an issue.

Paratom

I handled it at Photokina and think its a very nice camera.
If I didnt have a M (and T) I might jump on it.
I still love the x2 for its small pockable size though.
Too bad that we have to deal with different EVF-connections now.
For some people the combo X-Vario + new X could be appealing, and being able to use the same viewfinder would be nice.

jonoslack

Thanks for this Jono! Looks very tempting. Can you confirm that the lens has filter threads? In bright light I would hope to be able to mount an nd filter since the shutter speed only goes to 1/2000. Maybe with the base iso being 100 it is not so much of an issue.
Hi There
Yes - there are filter threads (not sure what size though).

jonoslack

Too bad that we have to deal with different EVF-connections now.
For some people the combo X-Vario + new X could be appealing, and being able to use the same viewfinder would be nice.
Hi Tom
I couldn't agree more - but the new attachment and EVF are so much of an improvement. The answer really would be to produce a revampted X-Vario with the new EVF attachment rather than hampering the new camera with the older one.

At least it also works with the T.

pophoto

Hi Jono,

Nice read! I am in fact very interested in the camera, and have in the past owned the X1 and the X2, hoping each would be more responsive, so perhaps you can help me here!

While I enjoyed the X2 more than the X1, the AF was still a tad too slow, how much better is the Type 113 in this regard? Another thing I have always enjoyed with Leica, were the colors, and I was surprised how good the IQ from the X2 was, having also owned the M9 in the past.

Also, how consistent would you say is the WB in various indoor lighting conditions, now with the faster lens, I would think shooting indoors in lower light will be less of a problem. So far a the few online reviewers of the camera chooses to display half the images in B&W, which makes me wonder, if this was a preference or if there is something off about the color?

Thanks in advance!
Po

Paratom

Hi Jono,

Nice read! I am in fact very interested in the camera, and have in the past owned the X1 and the X2, hoping each would be more responsive, so perhaps you can help me here!

While I enjoyed the X2 more than the X1, the AF was still a tad too slow, how much better is the Type 113 in this regard? Another thing I have always enjoyed with Leica, were the colors, and I was surprised how good the IQ from the X2 was, having also owned the M9 in the past.

Also, how consistent would you say is the WB in various indoor lighting conditions, now with the faster lens, I would think shooting indoors in lower light will be less of a problem. So far a the few online reviewers of the camera chooses to display half the images in B&W, which makes me wonder, if this was a preference or if there is something off about the color?

Thanks in advance!
Po
I also would be interested how the speed und IQ compare to the T.

I know there are some people who believe the "T" not to be a system for "photographers" but after owning it for some time now I feel it works very well for me.
I hope they will not have the strategy to develop the X for the "series" photographers and the "T" for "style".

If I see the size of the new X I wonder if it would not make sense to offer a X-body with T-bajonet/interchangable lenses.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Hi there Po
unfortunately I gave my X2 to my daughter in law, so it hasn't been possible to do a detailed comparison.
Well, I've found the AF to be quite good and quick at normal distances (1.5 to 20 metres). closer than that it's a bit hit and miss, and I've also found some problem with AF at infinity (but the X is not alone here). On the other hand, shooting at infinity it's only a 1/10 cm twist to get it to infinity focus, so it's a case of technique rather than a problem. For close up (almost macro) it's good to use the manual focus as well, and of course, the manual focus is MUCH better than on the X2 [/QUOTE]

Thanks in advance!
Po
I've not had any problems with the WB - however, as a rider to that, I normally shoot with sunny (daylight) WB in daylight, and most of the testing has been done in an English summer, so not too much indoor work.

I guess this doesn't help much - except that you can understand that I've not had a problem with your concerns!

All the best
Jono

jonoslack

Hi Tom
I also would be interested how the speed und IQ compare to the T.
I'd say that the speed is pretty equivalent to the T, both in terms of AF and processing.
However, the time switching from LCD to EVF (and particularly turn on time with your eye on the EVF ) seems to be faster than the T (even with the new firmware).
I know there are some people who believe the "T" not to be a system for "photographers" but after owning it for some time now I feel it works very well for me.
I hope they will not have the strategy to develop the X for the "series" photographers and the "T" for "style".
I really don't think the "style" is the ruling philosophy of the T - talking to Leica about it they're really hoping to develop a sophisticated system around the concept (witness the new lenses arriving). Style and Content are not mutually exclusive!
If I see the size of the new X I wonder if it would not make sense to offer a X-body with T-bajonet/interchangable lenses.
I don't think it would work - I think the whole point is the advantage of being able to design a lens/sensor combination as a one-off.

Of course, they might introduce a T mount camera with controls like the X (quite a different thing . . . or possibly exactly the same thing :ROTFL::ROTFL: )

scott kirkpatrick

Interesting article, nice pictures. I was intrigued to see that AF for macro work is a challenge, even with the aperture limited to f/2.8 to help out. (actually, focus at 1.7, take pictures at 2.8 would be a good strategy working close -- does it do that?) My reference is the Ricoh GR, with an APS-C chip and 28 mm-eff focal length, also f/2.8. The previous GR-D's, with their little image chips, were great at macro, perfect for running off flower and eBay product shots. The GR, however, sucks a bit at macro with AF. Maybe it is just really hard to do this at APS-C size with a pocketable lens.

Good to see Scarlett toddling about with only the slightest skyhook to help out.

regards,

scott