The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Leica X (all models)

Godfrey

A few Leica X photos made at yesterday's All Italian Day Car & Motorcycle Show:

You can see the full set of 13 on Flickr.com using this gallery link:

A wonderful day and one of my favorite annual events, a benefit for the Special Olympics kids hosted by the SF Bay Area Alfa Romeo club.

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

G

Godfrey

From my Saturday morning walk in the park.

Leica X
ISO 100 @ f/1.7 @ 1/1250 sec

Thanks for looking! Comments appreciated.

G

Godfrey

Lunch yesterday: A simple sandwich at a local Starbucks Coffee plus a few snaps of the patrons sitting around me. I am not sure which was more fulfilling, but the photos last far longer. :)

Leica X :: ISO 100 @ f/1.7 @ 1/400 second

I was impressed when I looked at my shots that the AF system worked so well. I was shooting wide-open, holding the camera sideways, using 11-point focus; the camera caught very close to the perfect focus plane every time. I couldn't even see the indicators on the LCD. That's quite satisfying AF performance IMO for such a narrow DoF.

G

Godfrey

Saturday morning walk photos ... My eye was seeing differently this past weekend.

Leica X :: ISO 100 @ f/2-3.5 @ 1/800-1/2000 sec

G

ceh

Thank you all for the likes.
:)

Gary,
Thank you.
X- Vario is an extraordinary camera. I use it when walking in the
mountains and have no time to stop off. I take it with me for the ski
mountaineering and actually everywhere where there's no time to stop
off.

Best.

Godfrey

X- Vario is an extraordinary camera. I use it when walking in the
mountains and have no time to stop off. I take it with me for the ski
mountaineering and actually everywhere where there's no time to stop
off.
I'm finding the same with the X type 113.. !

To me, these cameras are really the essence of Leica: the light camera, handy and always able to be with you.

G

Godfrey

"Ground Signs" is a theme of 'found art still life' photos I worked on several years ago. The light and the parking lot pavement yesterday inspired me to create a new series in this theme for the first time in several years.

All photos made with Leica X type 113. ISO settings from 100 to 800 as the light changed, all at f/3.5, and exposures varied from 1/25 to 1/160 second.

Full set of nine photos on Flickr.com:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5AKwNF

G

Paratom

I'm finding the same with the X type 113.. !

To me, these cameras are really the essence of Leica: the light camera, handy and always able to be with you.

G
I agree with this. Recently I have re-explored my Leica X2 and its so unobstrusive, easy to carry and fun to use.
And the results - even if I can see more depth in M shots - the X shots are very nice and full of life.

Paratom

question to the Leica X/X-Vario crowd: do you use the display or the EVF?
I often use the X2 just without EVF and it works better than I thought. I think using the display allows to have direct "eye-contact" to the subject.
With the M I allways use the viewfinder.

Godfrey

question to the Leica X/X-Vario crowd: do you use the display or the EVF?
I often use the X2 just without EVF and it works better than I thought. I think using the display allows to have direct "eye-contact" to the subject.
With the M I allways use the viewfinder.
With X2 and X, I use the LCD display a good bit of the time, although I nearly always supplement it by having an optical viewfinder fitted as well.

The optical viewfinder works very nicely on either camera with the camera set for zone focus or autofocus with the 11-point AF grid as long as the subject is reasonably simple and relatively all in the same plane. I don't find myself having to check too often.

I fit the EVF when I know I'm going to need more versatility in getting the camera to the right position (low angles, copy stand, etc), when I'm going to be shooting wide open a lot and critical focus is important in a more complex scene, or if I'm mostly going to be using the lens near wide-open most of the time. That's when I switch the AF to 1-field or Spot setting, and/or use manual focus most of the time.

Each of the viewfinders has its moments of advantage. Having all three at your disposal increases the camera's versatility.

(With the X Vario I'd likely use the EVF a larger percentage of the time because of the zoom lens. I find an eye-level viewfinder assists in focusing and framing with lenses longer than 35-40mm by quite a bit, and helps you hold the camera more steadily too.)

G

ceh

"With the X Vario I'd likely use the EVF a larger percentage of the time because of the zoom lens. I find an eye-level viewfinder assists in focusing and framing with lenses longer than 35-40mm by quite a bit, and helps you hold the camera more steadily too."

+1

:)

X-Vario,28mm,f/7.1