The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon

rayyan

I know that many are enamored with using non-native lenses on cameras with adaptors and add-ons and what not. That is their prerogative .

On a purely personnel level, and specifically for M bodies, I prefer to use M mount lenses. They could not be better on any other non-M mount body. I am convinced of that.

I am very interested in the ZM 35/1.4 Distagon. But only if its performance is as good as they say on my M bodies.

Fuji, Sony etc. etc...is a very very distant second use for me of this or any other M mount lens.

IMHO, of course.

k-hawinkler

So, I have an M9 as well to use with my M lenses.
A few M lenses work also equally well on the A7R, for example my WATE 16-18-21/4.

rayyan

That a Leica or Zeiss ( or anybody else's ) M mount lenses work well on other non M mounts is of least significance to me. Repeat, to me. Not necessarily to others.

That the zm 35/1.4 distagon works better than my lux 35 asph on my M mount is my one and only criteria to decide if this lens is worth my money.

YMMV, of course. Just enjoy whatever lens on whichever mount best serves your photographic needs.

Best regards.

mbroomfield

diglloyd: Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon: I rate it the best M Lens Available

Hmmm? I am also curious how that lens performs on the A7R?
Not so well perhaps, this is from him on Oct 2nd
"The ZM 35/1.4 Distagon is a rangefinder lens (Guide to Leica), but what a pity that the thick sensor cover glass of Sony A7-family cameras degrades its ultra high grade performance via ray angle (as with all wide angle M lenses). The effects are shown with the complete MTF comparison in the review. "

I asked Zeiss how is performs on the A7r on their lens blog;
" Mike B 17. September 2014 at 13:43
Can you tell us how well the ZM 35/1.4 performs on the Sony A7 series cameras please? Especially the A7r. As you know due to cover glass and exit pupil distance many wide angle RF lenses have poor corner performance, both colour cast and smearing.
Dear Mike,
ZEISS ZM lenses are designed to be used with analog and digital M-mount rangefinder cameras. That's why they include special design features which have been developed to ensure optimum image quality with these camera systems. It is, however, possible to adapt ZM lenses. Nevertheless, the specific design of ZM lenses may cause some limitations in operation and image quality if they are adapted to mirrorless system cameras."

dseelig

I SAW THE 35 ZEISS and for a rangefinder view just too damm big. Now if threw a eve fine but it took up at least 25 percent of the viewfinder in my M no thanks

I had the opportunity to try it on my M for a couple of hours and actually I was not disturbed by the size or by the weight. Even using the viewfinder only I had no problem at all. That was without hood mainly because no hood is available so far from Zeiss.