The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jono`s review of the D-Lux 109

retow

I think the skin rendering of most of the B&W pictures looks very digital on my screen. And when you click on the "selection" at the end of the review you`ll find more color pictures of/with people.

rayyan

Nice review Jono.

What's with folks talking about Color rendering, plastic rendering etc. oh and digital photo:eek: **it, it is a digital camera and the photos seem fine.

As to other rendering, I can make them look like I want..with any cam.

Like I said Jono, I shall wait for your Istanbul pics before I decide.
They seen good enough for me and my wife.

Best.

Terry

My Panasonic LX100 arrived about a week ago. By far my favorite compact camera. The controls just make sense with no fiddling around.
Size feels good in the hand.

JMaher

Nice review.

Its a shame the price differential is so much higher here, $899 to $1195. I wonder why it's so much closer in the UK?

Jim

jonoslack

Hi There
It's worth remembering that there is not (as yet) RAW support - so these are all out of camera jpgs. I must say I didn't find a problem with the skin colour, but if you don't like it, then that's probably the issue.

As for the price differential - I guess you have to decide whether it's worth it for a 3 year warranty and a copy of Lightroom 5, and arguably a nicer body (arguably!).

All the best

Godfrey

I missed the link at the bottom of the page, so I went back and looked through them.

I see nothing wrong with the color skin tones (viewing with iPad mini 3). B&W skin tones look a little weak, but that's normal for OOC B&W in my experience, or even B&W film processed and printed at a photofinisher. Nothing wrong to my eye. Nothing optimal either, but that pretty much tha same for any OOC JPEGs I've seen on standard settings with any camera.

The D-Lux looks good, but I was a little put off by all the options. I'm happy with my choice of the X typ 113; the camera just resonates for me, love working with it. I just wish my half case would get here... Impatience. :)

G

Terry

The type 113 is lovely if you like that field of view....just isn't the way I see things. If they made a one with a fast 50mm equivalent I would love it.

Godfrey

The type 113 is lovely if you like that field of view....just isn't the way I see things. If they made a one with a fast 50mm equivalent I would love it.
That would be good too! Actually, if they went between the two for a 40-43mm equivalent, that would be very near perfect for me. A 40mm lens on FF 35 format is probably my favorite setup of all, although I tend to like the 50mm more on the M9.

It's all good... :)

G

Terry

That would be good too! Actually, if they went between the two for a 40-43mm equivalent, that would be very near perfect for me. A 40mm lens on FF 35 format is probably my favorite setup of all, although I tend to like the 50mm more on the M9.

It's all good... :)

G
I would go 40-43 leaning more towards 43. I liked my 20mm lens on m4/3 but when I go wider to 35mm and then move from a 4:3 to a 3:2 aspect ratio I just don't see the scene right.

250swb

Excellent work Jono and I agree, the skin tones look fine on my monitor.

You are out on the price in the UK though, the Panasonic is selling for £699 with some freebies, and the D-Lux at £825, so the total difference is £126.

Steve

jonoslack

Excellent work Jono and I agree, the skin tones look fine on my monitor.

You are out on the price in the UK though, the Panasonic is selling for £699 with some freebies, and the D-Lux at £825, so the total difference is £126.

Steve
Hi Steve - I guess the price has changed since I first looked on WEX - it was certainly predictable!

Mind you - taking into account the increased resale value, the extra warranty and the LR license I still think the Leica is worth it (even if you don't value the red dot)

Paratom

Well the advantage of the LX100 - besides the IMO better grip and 200 Euro less in Germany - is that one can buy one now. Thats why I - as kind of a Leica fan boy - got a LX100 for my wife.
In my case I think I have about 5 LR licences or even more.
I think I would decide based on which body design I would prefer.. plus if one doesnt have LR it could be a reason to go for the Leica.

tom in mpls

Hey guys, remember me? I've been gone for a long time. I sold all my photo equipment 2+ years ago when my marriage evaporated and I had to put my life back in order. TMI? Sorry. Anyway, my iPhone 6 is my only camera now but I've been thinking for awhile about getting back into photography with a top quality compact camera. I want to have a sensor large enough to have some control over DOF. Right now I'm favoring Fuji XT-1 (is it really a compact?) or Fuju X-100s. I love the colors and images from Fuji. But now the 109 has me intrigued. I did love my Leica M's, oh, the glass and the marvelous images, but they were too expensive and too hard to use so I had given up on Leica.

What do you guys here think is the best "large sensor" (define that any way you wish) compact camera (also define as you choose). Right now I want to buy the 109. Ask me again in an hour, I'll give you a different answer. ;)

It is by intent that I post my question here instead of posting in a new thread. I still feel like you guys are my friends. Jono, I hope you don't mind. I love your review, it has me feeling quite enthusiastic about the Leica.

Paratom

Hey guys, remember me? I've been gone for a long time. I sold all my photo equipment 2+ years ago when my marriage evaporated and I had to put my life back in order. TMI? Sorry. Anyway, my iPhone 6 is my only camera now but I've been thinking for awhile about getting back into photography with a top quality compact camera. I want to have a sensor large enough to have some control over DOF. Right now I'm favoring Fuji XT-1 (is it really a compact?) or Fuju X-100s. I love the colors and images from Fuji. But now the 109 has me intrigued. I did love my Leica M's, oh, the glass and the marvelous images, but they were too expensive and too hard to use so I had given up on Leica.

What do you guys here think is the best "large sensor" (define that any way you wish) compact camera (also define as you choose). Right now I want to buy the 109. Ask me again in an hour, I'll give you a different answer. ;)

It is by intent that I post my question here instead of posting in a new thread. I still feel like you guys are my friends. Jono, I hope you don't mind. I love your review, it has me feeling quite enthusiastic about the Leica.
Hi there and welcome back home.
We have got a LX100 for my wife with which I also experimented a bit. I like it quite a bit but my impression is that shallow Dof is onyl possible at very short distances. So if shallow dof is important for you I would check it out before buying. Tom

tom in mpls

Hey thanks. I don't know as I have to have shallow DOF, but some sense of OOF ability. That's what turns me off from the little guys like the Canon S series. Great little cameras for what they can do, but I'll accept a little larger camera to see some bokeh!