The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jono`s review of the D-Lux 109

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hey guys, remember me? I've been gone for a long time. I sold all my photo equipment 2+ years ago when my marriage evaporated and I had to put my life back in order. TMI? Sorry. Anyway, my iPhone 6 is my only camera now but I've been thinking for awhile about getting back into photography with a top quality compact camera. I want to have a sensor large enough to have some control over DOF. Right now I'm favoring Fuji XT-1 (is it really a compact?) or Fuju X-100s. I love the colors and images from Fuji. But now the 109 has me intrigued. I did love my Leica M's, oh, the glass and the marvelous images, but they were too expensive and too hard to use so I had given up on Leica.

What do you guys here think is the best "large sensor" (define that any way you wish) compact camera (also define as you choose). Right now I want to buy the 109. Ask me again in an hour, I'll give you a different answer. ;)

It is by intent that I post my question here instead of posting in a new thread. I still feel like you guys are my friends. Jono, I hope you don't mind. I love your review, it has me feeling quite enthusiastic about the Leica.
Welcome back and all the best for this new part in your life ;)

I do have the XT1 since almost 6 months now and I love it. I shoot it with the 1.4/23 and 1.2/56 and the kit lens. All 3 are excellent, but the 1.2/56 is my absolute favorite, especially if it comes to shallow DOF. So I recommend the XT1 - use it together with LR5 because then you can use all the film simulation modes on RAW files too. One of the best features of this system in order to get most of the looks you desire without spending much time in post processing.

Having said that my second system today is the Olympus EM1 with the 12-40, 1.8/75 and soon the 2.8/40-150 for wildlife. The 1.8/75 is definitely also a lens to achieve shallow DOF, enough for my taste anyway. And AF of the EM1 is even a tick faster too compared to the XT1, but this is not really significant.

WRT to the D-LUX 109 (or LX100) - I had a look and tried them. Great and relatively small cameras, but I do not want to get stuck again with a "P&S", even if this is a very advanced one. Meanwhile I rather would choose a Fuji X100T as my P&S, but definitely not as my single camera.

Hope that helps ....

Peter

Terry

Hi Tom,
I'm using the LX100 and really enjoying it. I think it is a great (and this is going to sound like a bad word) compromise between large sensor, fast lens and really nice to use camera. It doesn't have the highest megapixel count, the longest lens, etc but the sum parts make for a super enjoyable shooting experience with no fuss over lenses. I would certainly recommend it before jumping back in and buying into a new system. X100T is a wonderful camera but 35mm is just not my go to focal length.

In terms of DOF and bokeh I think the shots that Amin has posted on the other thread in the M4/3 forum has great examples. I think you will find that those samples will most probably give you the look you are trying to attain.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/52426-leica-d-lux-typ109-panasonic-lx100.html

scott kirkpatrick

For a bargain full-featured camera with access to more lenses than I can ever use, I like the middle models from Olympus' 16 MPx m43 line. The Em5 sells at a deep "Black Friday" discount right now, the E-P5 has the same front and rear controls and image stabilization of the E-M1 and once you add the latest viewfinder to it I actually prefer it to the E-M1 when you might need to look down into the camera rather than thru it (e.g. macro photography). These do more and cost less than the two Leica P&Ses.

scott

retow

Hey guys, remember me? I've been gone for a long time. I sold all my photo equipment 2+ years ago when my marriage evaporated and I had to put my life back in order. TMI? Sorry. Anyway, my iPhone 6 is my only camera now but I've been thinking for awhile about getting back into photography with a top quality compact camera. I want to have a sensor large enough to have some control over DOF. Right now I'm favoring Fuji XT-1 (is it really a compact?) or Fuju X-100s. I love the colors and images from Fuji. But now the 109 has me intrigued. I did love my Leica M's, oh, the glass and the marvelous images, but they were too expensive and too hard to use so I had given up on Leica.

What do you guys here think is the best "large sensor" (define that any way you wish) compact camera (also define as you choose). Right now I want to buy the 109. Ask me again in an hour, I'll give you a different answer. ;)

It is by intent that I post my question here instead of posting in a new thread. I still feel like you guys are my friends. Jono, I hope you don't mind. I love your review, it has me feeling quite enthusiastic about the Leica.
".....top quality compact....". In the end it`s about compromises. If priority is on "top quality" the XT-1 is a good choice. If "compact" is as important, there is no way around mft imo. A Panasonic GM5 or Olympus EM-10 could fit the bill. I returned the LX100 after one week, it`s a nice camera with very enjoyable user interface but IQ wise not quite were I wished it would be, i.e. too much of a compromise considering its (sensor) size. For stills the much more compact RX100III easily can match and even beat it in resolution and micro contrast and offers a tilt screen and flash on board.