Site Sponsors

Thread: Jono`s review of the D-Lux 109

Post Thanks / Like

Jono`s review of the D-Lux 109

An nice read, but what`s with the skin colors and rendering. They look really bad on my screen.
    http://www.slack.co.uk/2014/D-Lux.html
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jono`s review of the D-Lux 109

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    An nice read, but what`s with the skin colors and rendering. They look really bad on my screen.
    Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) (The Dachs 7)
    Hmm? There's only one color picture there with skin in it, and it looks fine on my screen.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

I think the skin rendering of most of the B&W pictures looks very digital on my screen. And when you click on the "selection" at the end of the review you`ll find more color pictures of/with people.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Jono.

What's with folks talking about Color rendering, plastic rendering etc. oh and digital photo **it, it is a digital camera and the photos seem fine.

As to other rendering, I can make them look like I want..with any cam.

Like I said Jono, I shall wait for your Istanbul pics before I decide.
    They seen good enough for me and my wife.

Best.
    koffee & kamera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Panasonic LX100 arrived about a week ago. By far my favorite compact camera. The controls just make sense with no fiddling around.
    Size feels good in the hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice review.

Its a shame the price differential is so much higher here, $899 to $1195. I wonder why it's so much closer in the UK?

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    It's worth remembering that there is not (as yet) RAW support - so these are all out of camera jpgs. I must say I didn't find a problem with the skin colour, but if you don't like it, then that's probably the issue.

As for the price differential - I guess you have to decide whether it's worth it for a 3 year warranty and a copy of Lightroom 5, and arguably a nicer body (arguably!).

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Like I said Jono, I shall wait for your Istanbul pics before I decide.
    They seen good enough for me and my wife.

Best.
    Hi Ray - there are a few Istanbul pictures on the link at the bottom of the page - here it is again:

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I missed the link at the bottom of the page, so I went back and looked through them.

I see nothing wrong with the color skin tones (viewing with iPad mini 3). B&W skin tones look a little weak, but that's normal for OOC B&W in my experience, or even B&W film processed and printed at a photofinisher. Nothing wrong to my eye. Nothing optimal either, but that pretty much tha same for any OOC JPEGs I've seen on standard settings with any camera.

The D-Lux looks good, but I was a little put off by all the options. I'm happy with my choice of the X typ 113; the camera just resonates for me, love working with it. I just wish my half case would get here... Impatience. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The type 113 is lovely if you like that field of view....just isn't the way I see things. If they made a one with a fast 50mm equivalent I would love it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The type 113 is lovely if you like that field of view....just isn't the way I see things. If they made a one with a fast 50mm equivalent I would love it.
    That would be good too! Actually, if they went between the two for a 40-43mm equivalent, that would be very near perfect for me. A 40mm lens on FF 35 format is probably my favorite setup of all, although I tend to like the 50mm more on the M9.

It's all good... :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    That would be good too! Actually, if they went between the two for a 40-43mm equivalent, that would be very near perfect for me. A 40mm lens on FF 35 format is probably my favorite setup of all, although I tend to like the 50mm more on the M9.

It's all good... :-)

G
    I would go 40-43 leaning more towards 43. I liked my 20mm lens on m4/3 but when I go wider to 35mm and then move from a 4:3 to a 3:2 aspect ratio I just don't see the scene right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono has been kind enough to allow us to post it here Leica D-Lux Typ 109 (The Dachs 7) | getDPI
    -bob
    www.getdpi.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . Thank You Bob - you've done a great job putting it onto the front page.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work Jono and I agree, the skin tones look fine on my monitor.

You are out on the price in the UK though, the Panasonic is selling for 699 with some freebies, and the D-Lux at 825, so the total difference is 126.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Excellent work Jono and I agree, the skin tones look fine on my monitor.

You are out on the price in the UK though, the Panasonic is selling for 699 with some freebies, and the D-Lux at 825, so the total difference is 126.

Steve
    Hi Steve - I guess the price has changed since I first looked on WEX - it was certainly predictable!

Mind you - taking into account the increased resale value, the extra warranty and the LR license I still think the Leica is worth it (even if you don't value the red dot)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Well the advantage of the LX100 - besides the IMO better grip and 200 Euro less in Germany - is that one can buy one now. Thats why I - as kind of a Leica fan boy - got a LX100 for my wife.
    In my case I think I have about 5 LR licences or even more.
    I think I would decide based on which body design I would prefer.. plus if one doesnt have LR it could be a reason to go for the Leica.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, remember me? I've been gone for a long time. I sold all my photo equipment 2+ years ago when my marriage evaporated and I had to put my life back in order. TMI? Sorry. Anyway, my iPhone 6 is my only camera now but I've been thinking for awhile about getting back into photography with a top quality compact camera. I want to have a sensor large enough to have some control over DOF. Right now I'm favoring Fuji XT-1 (is it really a compact?) or Fuju X-100s. I love the colors and images from Fuji. But now the 109 has me intrigued. I did love my Leica M's, oh, the glass and the marvelous images, but they were too expensive and too hard to use so I had given up on Leica.

What do you guys here think is the best "large sensor" (define that any way you wish) compact camera (also define as you choose). Right now I want to buy the 109. Ask me again in an hour, I'll give you a different answer.

It is by intent that I post my question here instead of posting in a new thread. I still feel like you guys are my friends. Jono, I hope you don't mind. I love your review, it has me feeling quite enthusiastic about the Leica.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Hey guys, remember me? I've been gone for a long time. I sold all my photo equipment 2+ years ago when my marriage evaporated and I had to put my life back in order. TMI? Sorry. Anyway, my iPhone 6 is my only camera now but I've been thinking for awhile about getting back into photography with a top quality compact camera. I want to have a sensor large enough to have some control over DOF. Right now I'm favoring Fuji XT-1 (is it really a compact?) or Fuju X-100s. I love the colors and images from Fuji. But now the 109 has me intrigued. I did love my Leica M's, oh, the glass and the marvelous images, but they were too expensive and too hard to use so I had given up on Leica.

What do you guys here think is the best "large sensor" (define that any way you wish) compact camera (also define as you choose). Right now I want to buy the 109. Ask me again in an hour, I'll give you a different answer.

It is by intent that I post my question here instead of posting in a new thread. I still feel like you guys are my friends. Jono, I hope you don't mind. I love your review, it has me feeling quite enthusiastic about the Leica.
    Hi there and welcome back home.
    We have got a LX100 for my wife with which I also experimented a bit. I like it quite a bit but my impression is that shallow Dof is onyl possible at very short distances. So if shallow dof is important for you I would check it out before buying. Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks. I don't know as I have to have shallow DOF, but some sense of OOF ability. That's what turns me off from the little guys like the Canon S series. Great little cameras for what they can do, but I'll accept a little larger camera to see some bokeh!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back and all the best for this new part in your life

I do have the XT1 since almost 6 months now and I love it. I shoot it with the 1.4/23 and 1.2/56 and the kit lens. All 3 are excellent, but the 1.2/56 is my absolute favorite, especially if it comes to shallow DOF. So I recommend the XT1 - use it together with LR5 because then you can use all the film simulation modes on RAW files too. One of the best features of this system in order to get most of the looks you desire without spending much time in post processing.

Having said that my second system today is the Olympus EM1 with the 12-40, 1.8/75 and soon the 2.8/40-150 for wildlife. The 1.8/75 is definitely also a lens to achieve shallow DOF, enough for my taste anyway. And AF of the EM1 is even a tick faster too compared to the XT1, but this is not really significant.

WRT to the D-LUX 109 (or LX100) - I had a look and tried them. Great and relatively small cameras, but I do not want to get stuck again with a "P&S", even if this is a very advanced one. Meanwhile I rather would choose a Fuji X100T as my P&S, but definitely not as my single camera.

Hope that helps ....

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom,
    I'm using the LX100 and really enjoying it. I think it is a great (and this is going to sound like a bad word) compromise between large sensor, fast lens and really nice to use camera. It doesn't have the highest megapixel count, the longest lens, etc but the sum parts make for a super enjoyable shooting experience with no fuss over lenses. I would certainly recommend it before jumping back in and buying into a new system. X100T is a wonderful camera but 35mm is just not my go to focal length.

In terms of DOF and bokeh I think the shots that Amin has posted on the other thread in the M4/3 forum has great examples. I think you will find that those samples will most probably give you the look you are trying to attain.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-c...nic-lx100.html

Post Thanks / Like

For a bargain full-featured camera with access to more lenses than I can ever use, I like the middle models from Olympus' 16 MPx m43 line. The Em5 sells at a deep "Black Friday" discount right now, the E-P5 has the same front and rear controls and image stabilization of the E-M1 and once you add the latest viewfinder to it I actually prefer it to the E-M1 when you might need to look down into the camera rather than thru it (e.g. macro photography). These do more and cost less than the two Leica P&Ses.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

".....top quality compact....". In the end it`s about compromises. If priority is on "top quality" the XT-1 is a good choice. If "compact" is as important, there is no way around mft imo. A Panasonic GM5 or Olympus EM-10 could fit the bill. I returned the LX100 after one week, it`s a nice camera with very enjoyable user interface but IQ wise not quite were I wished it would be, i.e. too much of a compromise considering its (sensor) size. For stills the much more compact RX100III easily can match and even beat it in resolution and micro contrast and offers a tilt screen and flash on board.