The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

talk about being a sucker for a pretty face...

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Well, in that case - the prettiest face in my camera bag...:)

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So a finny thing happened to me at lunch today...

I went in to my local camera repair shop to pick up my 73mm Hektor from it's CLA. (FYI, the 73mm Hektor IS a Leica thread mount lens! It is vintage 1930's and has a reputation as a sweet portrait lens at the more open apertures.) Anyway, what do I spy under the counter on consignment, except a very clean Leica iiif with an equally clean 50mm Elmar f3.5 black scale mounted on it. The price was pretty good too, but then I notice a letter of provenience... Turns out it's from Congresswoman Mary Bono, confirming this particular iiif belonged to her late husband, Sonny(!)

So the short version is, "Oops, I did it again!"

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Here is a snap showing the camera with the 73 Hektor. this image was taken with the M8 and 90 Summarit:

And just for fun, here's a shot taken with the old Hektor on the M8. This lens is an f1.9 lens, but unfortunately my studio strobes on minimum prevent me from opening up to more than about f6.3 at ISO 160, so you'll not see the full effect of this lens in this shot; moreover, the Hektor gets surprisingly sharp after about f4.5. this at f6.3:

But again, aint she pretty?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Amazing! Unused?
Thanks Maggie & Cindy!

Jaap,

It's definitely used, but obviously gently over it's life; in excellent condition all around as is the lens --- very clean copy of the f3.5 Elmar, no haze, no oil. Obviously a late model iiif, since it has the self-timer.

R

roberth

snick, that is exactly the sound, have not heard it since I sold the M3. The CLE is pretty quiet though, the Bessa not so :(.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Congratulations? Guess she was cleaning out the house as I thought I heard she just remarried. Amazing how pristine it looks. After you have bought a few more things you can have a sale like this one..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....saslcZ0QQsaslopZ1QQsasltZ2QQsofocusZbsQQfviZ1

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! Man, that is a lot of $hi# for sale on one auction!!! Bottom line is you guys pretty much have heard me talk about every piece of gear I own, and it aint nothing like that!

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
See. It's reasons like the above why I avoided B&H when I was in NYC last weekend. Had I been foolish enough to go into the store, I probably would have walked out with more than I could afford to walk out with, right now ;)

Jack,
Have fun with your new toy!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
See. It's reasons like the above why I avoided B&H when I was in NYC last weekend. Had I been foolish enough to go into the store, I probably would have walked out with more than I could afford to walk out with, right now ;)

Jack,
Have fun with your new toy!
thanks Chris --

Truth be told, the iiif will probably get one roll of film through it some day just for posterity, then get resigned to a display case. The MP is a different story however --- I plan to use that puppy enough to wear the paint off it :D

J

Jamie Roberts

Jack--

Jeebus, as Homer would say. You have Sonny Bono's camera?!?!

It's gorgeous.... just gorgeous!

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Of course, my M3 is a bit of a fake. It is a late series one M3 (no frameselector,old speeds, screwed top plate, but without the sloping part under the film wind lever) from 1954.
But there were no black-paint cameras in that series, except for about ten that Leica did on special request as retrofit.
This one has been painted by Shintaro. It took a twenty month round trip to Japan and I only got it returned a few weeks ago.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, my M3 is a bit of a fake. It is a late series one M3 (no frameselector,old speeds, screwed top plate, but without the sloping part under the film wind lever) from 1954.
But there were no black-paint cameras in that series, except for about ten that Leica did on special request as retrofit.
This one has been painted by Shintaro. It took a twenty month round trip to Japan and I only got it returned a few weeks ago.
I should stop complaining about Leica NJ Turn around time.
Take the attitude that the path chosen is more important than the destination
Ommmmmmmm
-bob