The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to Leica need advise

segedi

Enjoy the new gear. I have the chrome version as well with a silver Olympus VF-2. Such a great combo. Great suggestions with choosing a different code. I tried the 35mm f/2 lens as suggested but still had about the same amount of red on the right side. I coded as a 28/2.8 11804 and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

So, I guess the CV 35mm f/2.5 isn't a write-off on the M 240 afterall. So far I've used adapted Pentax 135mm and a Sigma (Nikon mount) 150mm Macro and had nice results, but the native lenses are where it really shines.

Perhaps try another code? The closest in max aperture and focal length isn't always the best, so try a 28mm code that would probably correct more for the magenta cast.

Steve

Godfrey

The camera looks very nice, enjoy it!

Enjoy the new gear. I have the chrome version as well with a silver Olympus VF-2. Such a great combo. Great suggestions with choosing a different code. I tried the 35mm f/2 lens as suggested but still had about the same amount of red on the right side. I coded as a 28/2.8 11804 and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

So, I guess the CV 35mm f/2.5 isn't a write-off on the M 240 afterall. So far I've used adapted Pentax 135mm and a Sigma (Nikon mount) 150mm Macro and had nice results, but the native lenses are where it really shines.
Longer lenses need little correction in my experience; it's the wides that always need tweaking. What I found is that if you try codes for shorter focal length lenses with similar optical design that usually solves the problem best.

onwards,
G

silver92b

The camera looks very nice, enjoy it!

Longer lenses need little correction in my experience; it's the wides that always need tweaking. What I found is that if you try codes for shorter focal length lenses with similar optical design that usually solves the problem best.

onwards,
G
I went out with the CV35f2.5 today and as suggested I used the 28/2.8 11804 code, but I still got a magenta fringe along the vertical right edge :(
It's not a problem for B&W, but for color, I'd have to crop the offending area...

On the positive side, the lens is very easy to use and gives good results! Of course, now I'm all excited and can't wait to try the Planar 50f2 that just came in ;)

silver92b

Since my first asking, I've made some changes to the lens collection. I sold the CV 35 f2.5 as well as the CV40 f1.4, I also posted the CV25f4 on Ebay but did not sell it... I got in too much of a hurry and purchased a Zeiss Planar 50f2 ZM and a ZM 35f2.8 Biogon... Nothing wrong with the ZM50 Planar, but shortly afterwards I saw a silver Summilux ASPH for what I thought a good price and bought it :eek:
I also picked up a Tele Elmar 135 for a decent price... So now my collection looks like this, plus the Tele which is not shown or the ZM 50 which I need to sell.

I will say that the Lux is a brilliant lens! It really makes a difference and shows just how limited my EM-1 with the 12-40 f2.8 really is in comparison... Now I just need to sell the Zeiss 50 and a handful of legacy lenses and I should be ok for a while :D

Godfrey

That's a nice lens kit. :)

Yes, any zoom takes a back seat to lenses like these. The Oly M.Zuiko 12-40 is an excellent lens, but it can't match a Leica Summilux on a sensor with 4x the area. The Panasonic-Leica Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH on the E-M1 is closer, then you have a fighting chance. But the dynamics of the sensor and format are still quite different.

If this were not true, I wouldn't have both the M9 and the E-M1... and all the other cameras and lenses besides! =8^0

G

silver92b

That's a nice lens kit. :)

Yes, any zoom takes a back seat to lenses like these. The Oly M.Zuiko 12-40 is an excellent lens, but it can't match a Leica Summilux on a sensor with 4x the area. The Panasonic-Leica Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH on the E-M1 is closer, then you have a fighting chance. But the dynamics of the sensor and format are still quite different.

If this were not true, I wouldn't have both the M9 and the E-M1... and all the other cameras and lenses besides! =8^0

G
You are right of course, no one camera and /or lens is right for everything (ergonomics included). I still have the EM-1 and I love it. I had the PL25f1.4 and it is a great lens. I still have the Oly 17f1.8 as well as the 12-40f2.8 and the PL 35-100f2.8.
Great lenses and the M43 is a good system, but the M240 with the Lux is something else entirely. There are times when the EM-1 with a good native lens will really shine and beat the M+Lux, but it's becoming a rare occasion... ;)

Godfrey

PL 35-100mm f/2.8? I think that's a Panasonic X series lens, not a "Panasonic-Leica" model.

What the E-M1 (and my latest little darling, the E-PL7) have going for them is speed, versatility, and features that are sometimes very useful. For me, working with the M9 and M typ 240 is more akin to working with the bottom tier of technical cameras: a different pace, a different domain of capabilities. The M240 is more versatile than the M9 due to the added responsiveness and Live View capability.

I like and use 'em all, as much as I have time for.

In the end, expressive photos, pictures which tell stories ... these are the goal. There are many ways to that goal. Sometimes, the Leica X is exactly what I want, no more and no less. Other times ... well, the camera cabinet is over-full.

G

silver92b

PL 35-100mm f/2.8? I think that's a Panasonic X series lens, not a "Panasonic-Leica" model.

What the E-M1 (and my latest little darling, the E-PL7) have going for them is speed, versatility, and features that are sometimes very useful. For me, working with the M9 and M typ 240 is more akin to working with the bottom tier of technical cameras: a different pace, a different domain of capabilities. The M240 is more versatile than the M9 due to the added responsiveness and Live View capability.

I like and use 'em all, as much as I have time for.

In the end, expressive photos, pictures which tell stories ... these are the goal. There are many ways to that goal. Sometimes, the Leica X is exactly what I want, no more and no less. Other times ... well, the camera cabinet is over-full.

G
Right again :), the 35-100 is the Panasonic X series... Anyway, I just did a shoot for a friend. She is a model and knows how to pose, etc. We chose natural light in a great space and all. The M/F of the Leica kind of slowed me down (I thought) and I missed the focus more than once.

I then took the EM-1 with the 12-40 f2.8 and shot away in A/F, burst mode... Amazingly enough, I actually hit the focus closer and more often with the M240/Lux, and the DOF was no contest. Likewise, the IQ was just more spot on than the EM-1.... Strange, but it seems that the more I shoot with the Leica, the better I get and the more "keepers" I shoot (as long as I remember to check all my settings before shooting...)

sjg284

Well chosen!
The 50lux ASPH is just a super super lens, fantastic stuff.

And it really sings on the M240!

Since my first asking, I've made some changes to the lens collection. I sold the CV 35 f2.5 as well as the CV40 f1.4, I also posted the CV25f4 on Ebay but did not sell it... I got in too much of a hurry and purchased a Zeiss Planar 50f2 ZM and a ZM 35f2.8 Biogon... Nothing wrong with the ZM50 Planar, but shortly afterwards I saw a silver Summilux ASPH for what I thought a good price and bought it :eek:
I also picked up a Tele Elmar 135 for a decent price... So now my collection looks like this, plus the Tele which is not shown or the ZM 50 which I need to sell.

I will say that the Lux is a brilliant lens! It really makes a difference and shows just how limited my EM-1 with the 12-40 f2.8 really is in comparison... Now I just need to sell the Zeiss 50 and a handful of legacy lenses and I should be ok for a while :D

Godfrey

Right again :), the 35-100 is the Panasonic X series... Anyway, I just did a shoot for a friend. She is a model and knows how to pose, etc. We chose natural light in a great space and all. The M/F of the Leica kind of slowed me down (I thought) and I missed the focus more than once.

I then took the EM-1 with the 12-40 f2.8 and shot away in A/F, burst mode... Amazingly enough, I actually hit the focus closer and more often with the M240/Lux, and the DOF was no contest. Likewise, the IQ was just more spot on than the EM-1.... Strange, but it seems that the more I shoot with the Leica, the better I get and the more "keepers" I shoot (as long as I remember to check all my settings before shooting...)
The deciding factor is taking the time to think, to set up the camera and the shots, regardless of what camera you're using. Since the Leica forces a slower pace, you tend to operate more deliberately with it. That nets better results on average than doing burst mode and relying solely on AF to get the job done. At least for me it does...

G

silver92b

The deciding factor is taking the time to think, to set up the camera and the shots, regardless of what camera you're using. Since the Leica forces a slower pace, you tend to operate more deliberately with it. That nets better results on average than doing burst mode and relying solely on AF to get the job done. At least for me it does...

G
Absolutely! The only problem with that is that it's not easy to do when you suffer from ADD and can't keep your attention fixed on the steps. Still, once I manage to setup the camera properly, I have a pretty good record of getting good, well composed images. The focusing is still a bit of a challenge. Especially nailing the focus on the eyes of the subject to get the best portrait.

It's interesting to find that after working with this camera, I am actually re-learning crucial aspects (pardon the pun) of photography. I had forgotten much after shooting with such automated cameras and lenses as the EM-5 and EM-1 with the native lenses...

Godfrey

It's interesting to find that after working with this camera, I am actually re-learning crucial aspects (pardon the pun) of photography. I had forgotten much after shooting with such automated cameras and lenses as the EM-5 and EM-1 with the native lenses...
That's all good! :)

The tendency to become forgetful of the basics with the quality and level of sophistication that most modern cameras offer is one reason why I've made a practice of shooting with simple, slow, manual cameras at least part of the time ever since I obtained modern equipment. Is why I keep going back to manual focus, why I set exposure myself.

I love having the automation features available when they matter, but using them intelligently means understanding what they are doing for me which I have to stay refreshed on my staying "in practice" on simple manual techniques.

But we're digressing into "Philosophy of Photography 101" now ... :)

G

Hosermage

I just saw the Craig Semetko Video that Steve Huff posted on his site today. I like the quote he said:

For me, the Leica M is the path of least resistance between what I see on the street and a final print in my hand.

silver92b

I just saw the Craig Semetko Video that Steve Huff posted on his site today. I like the quote he said:
I went to the website and looked up the quote. Thanks for the info. I've been reading a lot of material by various photographers and the ones who use Leica cameras are very happy with them. There are those of course who disdain the Leica and prefer their particular camera.

I have learned that there is no "perfect" camera and really, the old saw "to each his own" applies to cameras as well as to anything else. I will say that I am liking the Leica M240 and the Leica lenses quite a bit. As I get better at paying attention to the camera settings and the composition, as well as my focusing skills, I am sure that this is the best option for me at this time.:D

BTW, I pick up the R-D1 from time to time and if it had a few more of the features of the M240, it would probably be my favorite camera. It's so much fun to use and so easy to handle.... Too bad it's not FF and lacks the features I've gotten used to having....

Paratom

I went to the website and looked up the quote. Thanks for the info. I've been reading a lot of material by various photographers and the ones who use Leica cameras are very happy with them. There are those of course who disdain the Leica and prefer their particular camera.

I have learned that there is no "perfect" camera and really, the old saw "to each his own" applies to cameras as well as to anything else. I will say that I am liking the Leica M240 and the Leica lenses quite a bit. As I get better at paying attention to the camera settings and the composition, as well as my focusing skills, I am sure that this is the best option for me at this time.:D

BTW, I pick up the R-D1 from time to time and if it had a few more of the features of the M240, it would probably be my favorite camera. It's so much fun to use and so easy to handle.... Too bad it's not FF and lacks the features I've gotten used to having....
Yes RD1 was beautiful, and you could "close" the display, on the other side limited with frames and crop.
Who knows if Leica would have ever made a digital M if Epson had not shown that it is possible.

Godfrey

Yes RD1 was beautiful, and you could "close" the display, on the other side limited with frames and crop.
Who knows if Leica would have ever made a digital M if Epson had not shown that it is possible.
Sorry, but when I tried to be friendly with an R-D1 it did absolutely nothing for me at all. Felt crude and clumsy to use, and the image files didn't look as good as what I was getting out of a Pentax *ist DS with essentially the same sensor. I sent it back.

The Leica M8 was predated in release by the Epson R-D1 by only seven months or so, which meant that the Leica M8 product development had likely been ongoing from about the same time, or even before as Leica products are traditionally so long in development. The M8 was instantly a far more sophisticated product at release time. So I think it's completely incorrect to say "Leica would never have made a digital M if Epson hadn't shown it was possible."

I'm certain that Leica was working on a digital, M-mount compatible rangefinder as soon as they thought there was a feasible sensor to be had for it, and to the limit that their development resources and finances could sustain at the time.

G

silver92b

Sorry, but when I tried to be friendly with an R-D1 it did absolutely nothing for me at all. Felt crude and clumsy to use, and the image files didn't look as good as what I was getting out of a Pentax *ist DS with essentially the same sensor. I sent it back.

The Leica M8 was predated in release by the Epson R-D1 by only seven months or so, ...
Oh, no doubt the R-D1 feels crude when compared to more technically modern cameras. It definitely has shortcomings. But in real life, right now, when I pick it up and look through the viewfinder, I love the way the focusing screen works and how big and clear the viewfinder is. Naturally, in dim light it's a totally different experience, but hey, it's beautiful sunny day outside today.

To me the images are pretty darned good for a 6mp camera. The B&W are definitely well developed and rendered OOC. As for the M8, although it's a more advanced and technically superior camera, it is not as pleasant to use as the R-D1 according to people I spoke with who had both... I never have used an M8 or M9, so I cannot opine from first hand experience.