The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

summicron m 90mm apo ?

jonoslack

HI There
I used it briefly over the weekend (thank you Cam).
It seems to me to be excellent - and 135 f2 is a pretty fine focal length as well. It's a pity that the Leica T doesn't have IS, but the quiet shutter makes hand holding fairly easy.

All the best

kevinparis

Considering I hadn't made a cookie ever until Christmas eve, they turned out OK !!

though it was a rather intense period of research and development

Happy New year to one and all

K

cam

has anyone tried the 90mm f/2.0 APO Summicron M Aspherical on Leica T using the M adapter ?
I haven't tried it on the T, but the lens is simply stunning on the M8 (another cropped sensor). I imagine it would look even better on the T because you would have an aid to focus as opposed to shooting an M if your RF is not in perfect alignment…

It also is slightly smaller and lighter than the pre-asph versions which would make the balance on the T a bit better. That said, it you don't need f/2, there are even smaller lenses out there.

It's draw is quite unique and one of the few of the modern glass that caught my eye… It would be lovely to see this gorgeous lens get more love!

kevinparis

apologies to all.... the cookie pics were posted in the wrong thread!!!... they refer to the fun with leica thread!!!

K

jonoslack

apologies to all.... the cookie pics were posted in the wrong thread!!!... they refer to the fun with leica thread!!!

K
There is no wrong place for cookie pics Kevin . . . . and for those of you unlucky enough not to have had the opportunity, they were delicious!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is partly OT, but:
Is the Summicron R 90mm the same optical formula as the M, and if not, is it as good? I've been offered one that I would convert to F-mount. It's a Canadian made one.

DaveS

Hi Jorgen,

The Canadian one is the pre-ASPH R version, so it is not the same as the ASPH M or R ones.

I believe the Canadian R is close to the pre-ASPH M version which is supposed to be nice, and get sharper as you stop down. Where as the ASPH version of both the M and R are very sharp wide open and keep being very sharp as you stop down till diffraction at some point.

From my Leica Compendium it is: Low to medium contrast wide open with coarser detail recorded with fuzzy edges. It gets 'markedly' better at F2.8 and excellent at 5.6.

So it sounds like a good traditional lens design, rather than the new ASPH which starts off sharper. I would take more advice from owners though, since I have never tried one.

(I have the R 90mm F2.8 and the M ASPH 90mm. )

regards,
Dave

V

Vivek

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks both of you. The price I would pay would be very favourable, but it might not be worth it anyway then. I do have the Nikkor 105/1.8 already, which is very good.

D&A

On some, the cookie discs have fallen out! :bugeyes:

Cheers, Kevin. :)
I've noticed there are no rear LCD's on back of cookies. Must be really old cookies but certainly delicious :). In all honesty...simply love the idea!

Dave (D&A)