Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

  1. #1
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    While most of the Leica S lenses have easy to match 72 and 82mm threads (thus most all of the alternative filter solutions for landscape ) .....the 24 S requires a 95mm thread . In addition even though you can mount the Lee or Schneider square or rectangular filter holders (100mm,4x4,4x5.65) they tend to vignette with the 24mm .

    Not even sure that the 95mm screw in polarizers will work with out vignetting unless they are the slim mount (no front threads ) .

    Has anyone found a solution that seems to be practical ...I know this stuff is expensive .(seems to be used more in professional cinema applications ).

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    While most of the Leica S lenses have easy to match 72 and 82mm threads (thus most all of the alternative filter solutions for landscape ) .....the 24 S requires a 95mm thread . In addition even though you can mount the Lee or Schneider square or rectangular filter holders (100mm,4x4,4x5.65) they tend to vignette with the 24mm .

    Not even sure that the 95mm screw in polarizers will work with out vignetting unless they are the slim mount (no front threads ) .

    Has anyone found a solution that seems to be practical ...I know this stuff is expensive .(seems to be used more in professional cinema applications ).

    I use a Heliopan 95mm polarizer on the 24S with no issues whatsoever. Not cheap though!

    This is the one I use
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ti_Coated.html

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    My Lee holder works with a single filter, if the holder has two slots it will vignette. 4x4.

    I have found some older 95mm such as my Contax filters from the 645 will not allow the lens hood to be removed or placed, it simply has to much thickness.
    It doesn't vignette despite being an older filter with a thick mounting ring. The newer filters with thinner rings don't vignette and don't prevent the normal use of the lens hood.

  4. #4
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    Thanks for the information ...the 24 S isn t a mainstream product and its hard to know what really fits correctly .

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    Hi everyone, there was a thread about the same subject over at LUF not too long ago:

    95mm UV filters - Leica User Forum

    Seems the outcome was another vote for the Heliopan Slim UV.


    This year I hope to buy a wide angle for my S2-P and my mind says get the 35mm but my heart says go for the 24 Do you guys who own the 24mm feel that it's too wide and that it can only be used on special occasions? I'm thinking that if it's too wide I could always crop a bit ..?

    I'd use it for documentary work so another thing I'm thinking about is wether the 0,66 stop less light compared to the f2.5 35mm would bother me while having to use available light. How is the IQ of the 24 wide open, and what shutter times are generally safe?

    I'd appreciate your comments and thoughts and especially your examples. There are not much photos floating around, so please post some pics.

    Thanks in advance!

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    Hi everyone, there was a thread about the same subject over at LUF not too long ago:

    95mm UV filters - Leica User Forum

    Seems the outcome was another vote for the Heliopan Slim UV.


    This year I hope to buy a wide angle for my S2-P and my mind says get the 35mm but my heart says go for the 24 Do you guys who own the 24mm feel that it's too wide and that it can only be used on special occasions? I'm thinking that if it's too wide I could always crop a bit ..?

    I'd use it for documentary work so another thing I'm thinking about is wether the 0,66 stop less light compared to the f2.5 35mm would bother me while having to use available light. How is the IQ of the 24 wide open, and what shutter times are generally safe?

    I'd appreciate your comments and thoughts and especially your examples. There are not much photos floating around, so please post some pics.

    Thanks in advance!
    Hi Peter,
    if you cant decide between 24 and 35...why not go for the 30mm?

    I like the FOV of 24mm (equivalent 21 FF) quite a bit but its really a super wide angle. So I think 35mm is more flexible because you can also use it for enviromental portraits and indoor shots (also its f2.5).
    With the M I can can carry 21,35,50 and 75 or 90.
    But with the S I like to carry max.3 or better 2 lenses and this means that I dont bring the S24 as much as I bring the M21/3.4 which allways fits in the bag.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    Hi Tom, thanks for your reply. The reason I don't go for the 30mm is that I would ultimately want two wide angles and I think I'd prefer the combo 24/35 over the 30/45 combo. The 45mm being too close to the 70mm for my taste and budget and I'd rather go to the more extreme combo of the 24/35. BTW, I believe the equivalent FOV of the 24 is 19mm in FF terms.

    Thanks again!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    Peter, Wish I could help you more here, but I use the 24 very, very differently than you might - for architecture exclusively, always on a tripod, tethered, generally at ƒ8 or 11 (my subjects don't move!). I love it - for me it's been worth every penny. Try to find a way to test shoot one. I'll post a shot, but it may not be very useful. Yes, I agree. The 24 seems to be equivalent to 19mm in 35mm terms.
    Cheers,
    Richard
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Brussels, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    It's difficult to advise this kind of lens as it sure is a wide one. Some people won't shoot at 19mm very often, if any.
    I chose to buy one and to use it in combo with the 45mm. My decision was mainly driven by the 45mm (35mm eq) I wanted to use. This focal length is just perfect for so many situations. The S 45mm is also supposed to be even better than the 30 and the 35.
    When I use the S system I want the best possible optical quality. The 24mm and 45mm are a perfect couple for shooting architecture, landscape and cityscape.
    S lenses are expensive and heavy so putting some gap between each (19mm and 35mm) helps using a reasonable set of lenses.
    My 2 other S lenses are the 70 Cs and 120Cs.
    I can mix the set of lenses I take with me like this: 24 & 45 (wide) / 24 & 70 (wide & normal) / 45 & 120 (mix) / 70 & 120 (studio & model) / 24 & 45 & 120 (all situations) / 70 alone (light)
    95% of my shooting situations are covered (as long as I pick the right set of lenses with me !)
    My point is that I think it is important not to decide for the 24 alone (as it is rarely the most used focal length) but to select your best wide angle lenses combo. The 24mm doesn't make much sense with the 30mm and more sense with the 45 than with the 35.

    The optical quality of the 24mm is astronomically good, from center to corners from f5.6 (f3.5 is just a little softer in the center but corners are less sharp).
    Another advantage of shooting wide is that I often get tack sharp results at 1/60s. Forget about the lost half stop compared to the f2.8 lenses as you gain it back with a slower minimal shutter speed.

    My problem with the 24 is that I don't really like to software correct perspectives. I enjoyed using rise & fall with my Cambo and plan to buy a digital back again to use on a tech cam for wide shooting. This is the reason why I eventually decided to put my 24 on sale. The 45mm will follow.
    I'm still not 100% convinced it is a good idea (color cast and other lens issues with the DB and copal lenses are not cool, the 24mm is so much more straightforward to shoot with).
    ___________________________________
    http://www.vincent-angillis.be

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    When I use the S system I want the best possible optical quality. The 24mm and 45mm are a perfect couple for shooting architecture, landscape and cityscape.
    S lenses are expensive and heavy so putting some gap between each (19mm and 35mm) helps using a reasonable set of lenses.
    My 2 other S lenses are the 70 Cs and 120Cs.
    I can mix the set of lenses I take with me like this: 24 & 45 (wide) / 24 & 70 (wide & normal) / 45 & 120 (mix) / 70 & 120 (studio & model) / 24 & 45 & 120 (all situations) / 70 alone (light)
    95% of my shooting situations are covered (as long as I pick the right set of lenses with me !)
    My point is that I think it is important not to decide for the 24 alone (as it is rarely the most used focal length) but to select your best wide angle lenses combo. The 24mm doesn't make much sense with the 30mm and more sense with the 45 than with the 35.

    ).
    Yes, fewer lenses makes life a bit easier. I chose the 30-90VE as a companion to the 24. That covers it all for me.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica 24 S ......filters ?

    Many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, guys. For now I'll keep saving my pennies and I'll take your advise as to which wide angle to start with, into consideration. Thanks again!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •