The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 ... time for a time-out

cam

Jeeez… When I read Godfrey's initial post, it sounded more like he was musing whether he should consider an upgrade path IF his M9 is shown to have this issue… I responded because I've been pondering the same.

In no way was anyone ever ungrateful to Leica that they are offering to rectify the situation. They are amazing!

And, to be honest, I have never had anything but wonderful interactions with everybody in the service department. Come to think of it, anybody affiliated with Leica, period. They have my utmost respect.

What I thought was a musing thread, has now turned (as have others in different forums)… Guess it may be time to recuse myself.

Pity. Because I was kind of interested in what Godfrey heard and was going to do.

cam - I hope that my post didn't give you that impression.

I have also had generally good interactions with Leica Service USA, and do appreciate Leica standing behind the M9 sensor.

I was just sharing what I'd heard about my camera, and my thoughts on where to go from here.

That said, it was not whether or not my camera had the issue that kept Leica Service from talking to me about the upgrade offer. Never did they say that we should wait for diagnosis. They literally said that they had no information on the options, hoped to hear by mid-December, and that has not changed, as far as I can see.

Again, not trying to ruffle any feathers, just share my experience.

Reed

cam

cam - I hope that my post didn't give you that impression.

I have also had generally good interactions with Leica Service USA, and do appreciate Leica standing behind the M9 sensor.

I was just sharing what I'd heard about my camera, and my thoughts on where to go from here.

That said, it was not whether or not my camera had the issue that kept Leica Service from talking to me about the upgrade offer. Never did they say that we should wait for diagnosis. They literally said that they had no information on the options, hoped to hear by mid-December, and that has not changed, as far as I can see.

Again, not trying to ruffle any feathers, just share my experience.

Reed
It wasn't you, Reed. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Godfrey

No one's ruffled my feathers. :)

I'm still waiting to hear back from Leica USA. I've been too busy to try to call them, but I might have time tomorrow.

If my camera has the corrosion problem, and if there is an upgrade exchange to the typ 240 available, I will consider it and take advantage of it if I can afford to. As I said, I am in no particular hurry to spend $4K plus just at the moment, but I will eventually buy an M-P so if this is the time, and I can front the cash, I will.

That's all. :)

G

thrice

Be aware that the M-P will not start up as quickly as the M9 and the colour palette is vastly different.

Someone had to play devil's advocate.

Also, Leica will replace your sensor within 10 years of date of purchase, they have an unspoken 'good will' policy which in typical German fashion is very structured and official. If a repair centre tries to charge or denies the service then contact Leica AG.

Godfrey

Be aware that the M-P will not start up as quickly as the M9 and the colour palette is vastly different.

Also, Leica will replace your sensor within 10 years of date of purchase, they have an unspoken 'good will' policy which in typical German fashion is very structured and official. If a repair centre tries to charge or denies the service then contact Leica AG.
I'm aware that the M typ 240 starts a little more slowly than the M9. It just operates much much faster overall. Is the M-P any different? Have you tested them side by side?

G

Steve P.

As for being thankful, I've learned not to frustrate myself by replying directly to some people's comments.Reed
To my regret, I've allowed myself to be drawn into one or two of those situations recently. I think I'll try a leaf out of your book and make a new year's resolution not to be quite so foolish in future.
But you know how new year resolutions go! :eek:

Great to know! Thank you.

Reed

jonoslack

I'm aware that the M typ 240 starts a little more slowly than the M9. It just operates much much faster overall. Is the M-P any different? Have you tested them side by side?

G
HI Godfrey - I can do a test (I seem to have an M9 an M240 and an M-P - but when you say 'start up' which point do you mean! (live view, whatever)

Godfrey

HI Godfrey - I can do a test (I seem to have an M9 an M240 and an M-P - but when you say 'start up' which point do you mean! (live view, whatever)
I'm mostly interested in the power-on-by-main-switch to ready-to-shoot times. The other one that's interesting to me is the sleep to ready-to-shoot time.

Thanks Jono!

G

cam

Thank you. Now the conversation is turning out more like I hoped!

Start up time alone, to me, is worth its weight in gold. (I learned, long ago on the Epson, to turn the camera off, rather than let it go to sleep, to preserve the battery.)

merci

Godfrey

I just talked with Jim at Leica USA Service and Support.

The situation regards upgrade/exchanges on the M9 is the following ... If your camera proves to have the sensor damage that warrants a sensor replacement, by their inspection, Leica USA is authorized to offer an upgrade to the M or M-P typ 240 camera at an exchange price with trade-in of the affected camera. Only those whose cameras are inspected and prove to need a new sensor will receive an offer as the exchange offer is individual, dependent upon the condition, age, etc of the camera that needs the sensor.

This program is not a blanket "trade in your M9 for an M typ 240" deal. It is specific and intended to preserve the value that your M9 (with an undamaged sensor) represents. Jim said that Leica USA was not fully informed of the specifics of the arrangement until after the new year had begun, but it is now well documented by Leica AG and they are following through on it.

My M9 is going in for inspection and cleaning as there are persistent dirty spots that will not move, and which need to be taken care of. If it turns out that this is sensor damage that requires a replacement sensor, I will receive an offer to exchange for the typ 240 cameras. Otherwise, they'll just clean it properly and send it back.

In all likelihood, mine just has some sticky dirt on the sensor and needs a good cleaning. I'm just fine with that. :)

G

k-hawinkler

Thanks Godfrey. Good luck!
Provided Leica can clean it, I would be curious how clean they can get the sensor?

My 5-year old M9 seems fine, but would benefit from a cleaning. :D

V

Vivek

I just talked with Jim at Leica USA Service and Support.

The situation regards upgrade/exchanges on the M9 is the following ... If your camera proves to have the sensor damage that warrants a sensor replacement, by their inspection, Leica USA is authorized to offer an upgrade to the M or M-P typ 240 camera at an exchange price with trade-in of the affected camera. Only those whose cameras are inspected and prove to need a new sensor will receive an offer as the exchange offer is individual, dependent upon the condition, age, etc of the camera that needs the sensor.

This program is not a blanket "trade in your M9 for an M typ 240" deal. It is specific and intended to preserve the value that your M9 (with an undamaged sensor) represents. Jim said that Leica USA was not fully informed of the specifics of the arrangement until after the new year had begun, but it is now well documented by Leica AG and they are following through on it.

My M9 is going in for inspection and cleaning as there are persistent dirty spots that will not move, and which need to be taken care of. If it turns out that this is sensor damage that requires a replacement sensor, I will receive an offer to exchange for the typ 240 cameras. Otherwise, they'll just clean it properly and send it back.

In all likelihood, mine just has some sticky dirt on the sensor and needs a good cleaning. I'm just fine with that. :)

G
Just like what I said above (post #4)..

250swb

Sounds like a fundamental flaw. I've not seen anything like this kind of dirt/crud before this, however, and I've been using the M9 since January 2012.

I remember when Nikon made a running update to the FM2n, somewhere in the late 1980s. They essentially weather-proofed the camera's mechanicals from extreme heat and cold by eliminating anything that needed lubricant and replacing them with self-lubricating bits (like delrin bushings on steel rather than brass on brass). A later series FM2n is a nearly impossible to kill camera, they were the camera of choice for arctic and tropical use. :)

G
Copal have made Nikon focal-plane shutters from the year dot, and now make the shutters for digital 'M's.

Steve

Steve P.

The situation regards upgrade/exchanges on the M9 is the following ... If your camera proves to have the sensor damage that warrants a sensor replacement, by their inspection, Leica USA is authorized to offer an upgrade to the M or M-P typ 240 camera at an exchange price with trade-in of the affected camera. Only those whose cameras are inspected and prove to need a new sensor will receive an offer as the exchange offer is individual, dependent upon the condition, age, etc of the camera that needs the sensor.G
Can't say fairer than that. Godfrey, how long have you owned the camera? Sorry if you've already mentioned it.