The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S + Pentax 67 lenses ??

Thomas73

Hi all,

First, Best Wishes to everybody for this new year! :)

I was wondering if some of you tried to use Pentax 67 lenses on a S body, with the Leica lens adapter 16026? Do they perform well with the CCD sensor ? What the expected best ones ?

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Shashin

I have used one 67 lens on a Pentax 645D--basically the same sensor as the S. I had the 105mm f/2.4. It was a good lens. It performed well, but the native Pentax 645 lenses were better, partly to do with how the camera works and partly to do with the optics. Having also seen feedback on other 645D users with 67 lenses, some lens do really well, but the consensus is 645 lenses are a better match. You can get some good Pentax 67 lenses for the S, but there might be better alternatives as well. The other down size of the 67 lenses is that can be really big.

Thomas73

Indeed, lenses that have a counterpart in these new systems might not be able to stay on the same foot since the latest lenses are optimized for sensors (especially if we are talking about S lenses which are known to be stellar performers!...).

I was thinking more about lenses that are specific. So, it is mainly the 67 tele focal range. Pentax designed truly good lenses there with ED glasses... Actually, Leica has not released a tele lens for its system (the 350mm lens that was shown sometimes when the S system was released never came out...). So, does somebody ever try a Pentax 67 400/4 ED or a 800/6.7 ED with his S2/S camera?

Shashin

Thomas, I might also ask this question over in the medium-format section of the forum. It is more likely a Pentax 645D user has tried the 400/4 ED or 800/6.7 ED (I believe one GetDPI member with a 645D has used the 400/4 ED). But that should give you a clue to how they will work with the S. My feeling from things I have read is that the Pentax telephoto lenses you mention work very well with digital medium format, but I have no personal experience with either lens.

John_McMaster

Pentax 67 lenses will be much larger than is needed, I use some Mamiya 645 lenses on my S2; 50mm shift, 80mm f1.9 and 300mm f2.8 APO

john

Thomas73

Hi all,

Did somebody test the Pentax 67 SMC 55mm f/4 on a S body ? This lens is well-praised for its high optical performances. What is the focal length equivalence in the S system : 45mm ? 70mm?

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Cheers.

doug

Hi all,

Did somebody test the Pentax 67 SMC 55mm f/4 on a S body ? This lens is well-praised for its high optical performances. What is the focal length equivalence in the S system : 45mm ? 70mm?

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Cheers.
A 55mm lens on the Pentax 67 is still a 55mm lens on the S.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
A 55mm lens on the Pentax 67 is still a 55mm lens on the S.
Any 55mm lens will have a Field of View similar to a 45MM lens on a 35mm FF camera on an S . I use .8 to determine equivalent field of view (since I think in 35FF ). (for the Leica S ).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Many of us went thru this when the S was introduced because lenses were scarce and very expensive . Now with the exception of the tilt shift lenses and the longer focal lengths the S system is complete . While I have not tested the Pentax 67 but have tried the Hasselblad H ,Contax 645 and the Mamyia Apo s. The Contax Zeiss lenses were terrific and have an excellent aesthetic . The HB H lenses were excellent and the Mamiya APO lenses had excellent sharpness but somewhat lower contrast (not necessarily a bad thing ). Both the H and C AF adapters work very well ...as good as the Leica S lenses . To my knowledge no AF adapter for the Mamiya .

The issues with the Pentax 67 ....no AF adapter , size and weight , better alternatives available .