The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there really going to be a new Monochrom coming out in Feb?

mmbma

Come on Jono, we all know you are testing it now.... :)

As to price, i expect Leica will probably price the new MM at the same level as the current one, and lower the price of the current model. like they did in M240 and ME.

I wouldn't buy a MM just now.... until the new one is out

algrove

I sure hope the 240Mono is not a disappointment versus the lovely MM. As I have only one eye and need LV/EVF for ease of shooting especially with very wide and/or R lenses, I do not want it to be worse than the current model.

In this case I hope Vivek is wrong. I must say I was a bit surprised Leica also discounted the MM black or silver $750 just like the M240.

So let's discuss what could make an M240Mono image quality worse than the current MM.

V

Vivek

There will be a flood of messages about CCD vs CMOS image "look".
If that refers to a thicker UV-IR cut filter (on CMOS sensor) then , yes. Another real issue is the battery life.

If Leica go for a "full spectrum" (clear, thin cover glass) then I would buy one in a heartbeat but I do not think it will have many takers.

fotografz

There will be a flood of messages about CCD vs CMOS image "look".
Is that relevant for a monochrome camera?

Other than live-view/LCD viewing for non-rangefinder sort of work, I don't see the point.

I would understand the switch to a CMOS just to move on from CCDs as a matter of economies of manufacture ... but seriously doubt anyone will be able to see a difference in the imagery either produces.

Those with a MM and moving to a M240 based MM would be paying a bundle for not a lot of IQ advancements, (minuscule, if any).

IMO, those without a MM and looking to the discipline of B&W rangefinder shooting would benefit from either camera ... one just being newer.

- Marc

Paratom

For me a M-type 240 based MM would be very welcome not because I expect much IQ improvements over the current MM but as an M type 240 user I would have 2 cameras with same battery,user interface and operating speed.
With more operating speed maybe it would also be possible to include some film/tonecurve presets to the camera for those who do not want to have to postprocess each and any image.
Regarding the cmoss ccd discussion, at least we/one would not have to discuss about color differences (or lack of).

turtle

As a MM user, I do not see the M240 Mono (if it comes) as being of interest. Yes, I would love a second body (but not to have to pay for it), but a 36mp bayerless sensor would make the use of my wonderful Leica lenses much more interesting versus the small jump from 18mp CCD to 24mp CMOS. I also feel the M240 is too heavy.

Paratom

As a MM user, I do not see the M240 Mono (if it comes) as being of interest. Yes, I would love a second body (but not to have to pay for it), but a 36mp bayerless sensor would make the use of my wonderful Leica lenses much more interesting versus the small jump from 18mp CCD to 24mp CMOS. I also feel the M240 is too heavy.
I agree on the weight, which is one of the few things I dont like about the M type 240.

V

Vivek

Being Leica, they could also shock us with a Platinum shutter release and such essential goodies. :p

JohnBrew

I agree with Marc, the CCD vs CMOS debate has largely centered around color results. The MM and M240 produce very different bw files, imo. However, I believe the M240 bw conversions are terrific in their own right.

And yes, I was rather shocked to find out how more hefty the M240 is than my older digital M's. At least the form factor is closely similar and I'm enjoying shooting with it.

aDam007

The M9 (M9-P and M9-M) body/shell/electronics are awful. The M240 took care of a lot of those issues. Sure it's a bit heavier, and sure it has unnecessary features like LV and Movie mode.. But a M240-M would be a welcome upgrade from the M9-M.

jonoslack

Those with a MM and moving to a M240 based MM would be paying a bundle for not a lot of IQ advancements, (minuscule, if any).

- Marc
Well have to wait and see about the IQ I'd say. BUT there's is always:

Much improved rangefinder accuracy
Much quieter shutter
Weather sealed
Less shutter lag
Bigger buffer
Longer battery life

And that's just off the top of my head!

All the best

V

Vivek

The M9 (M9-P and M9-M) body/shell/electronics are awful. The M240 took care of a lot of those issues. Sure it's a bit heavier, and sure it has unnecessary features like LV and Movie mode.. But a M240-M would be a welcome upgrade from the M9-M.
Forgot about the video! :facesmack:

It would be wonderful to have HD video in monochrome! :thumbup:

May be an extra battery grip as well?

Godfrey

I prefer to wait and see whether a new camera is a disappointment rather than sitting around expecting it to be a disappointment.

G

Well have to wait and see about the IQ I'd say. BUT there's is always:
Much improved rangefinder accuracy
Absolutely agree with that! My M240 is by far the most clear and accurate rangefinder that I've used, and I'm comparing that to a M4p, M7, M9, MM and Mamiya 7.

Finding correct focus on an eye ball just seems obvious with the M240. It was explained to me in a dealer that the electronic frame lines have improved the contrast of the focusing patch. Maybe it's tighter manufacturing tolerances too.

Either way, the M240 focusing is a reason alone why I await with much interest in a Monochrom version.

jonoslack

Maybe it's tighter manufacturing tolerances too.

Certainly I understand that there are considerably tighter tolerances. Added to which the fact that the rangefinder is now adjusted by instrument rather than by eye means that it's much more likely to be correct.

V

Vivek

Better RF accuracy in a non live view camera makes more sense but this is Leica.

algrove

For me, LV is NOT an unnecessary feature, but then most photographers have 2 good eyes. Agree on ther Movie mode though.

I've got one on order so that Vivek can buy some Leica product again at a later date.

aDam007

For me, LV is NOT an unnecessary feature, but then most photographers have 2 good eyes. Agree on ther Movie mode though.

I've got one on order so that Vivek can buy some Leica product again at a later date.

Sure, I should have said unnecessary for me. I buy my M cameras for the RF function, and then for the aesthetics of the actual camera. Even if the Sony A7 got it's **** together and adapted well to M lenses, I'd still carry an M camera for the styling alone.

Totally get where you're coming from though!

And yes, all the other upgrades that everyone mentioned are welcome in an M240-M.