The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there really going to be a new Monochrom coming out in Feb?

V

Vivek

It would be cooler if there is an A7m. :)

Have you heard of anyone having a backup for the MM (another MM)?

bensonga

It would be cooler if there is an A7m. :)
+1! There were rumors last year of a monochrome camera from Sony and I sure wish those would come true. As much as I love the images I've seen from the MM, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a digital rangefinder camera.

Gary

V

Vivek

Gary, Despite the MM being the "cheapest" monochrome camera in the market, it is a real shame that it s out of reach of many talented and passionate photographers.

I applaud Leica for bringing out the MM.

I sincerely hope that there will be an A7m real soon.

+1. I'm happy working with MM, WATE and MATE, but the expense of a body upgrade – at Leica prices – doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I borrowed an A7r and did test shots with it and MM, using the same lens. The 36MP sensor with Bayer array converted to BW offers very nearly the same IQ as 18MP MM without array/conversion. I wouldn't buy an A7r because of its shutter-shake problem, but the next generation with larger sensor and stable shutter would no doubt be an MM killer. If it were an A7m without Bayer array, that plus Leica/Zeiss lenses would be my IQ dream.

Kirk

mmbma

i'm thinking about trading my M240 for a monochrom again. but then i want to wait to see what this M240 Mono is all about

V

Vivek

Do it! I think the M240 mono will be a huge disappointment.

I am very tempted by that silver MM on sale now. What a gorgeous piece!

I wouldn't expect to be disappointed by an 'M240M' (though perhaps overwhelmed by the price). The M240's Live View would be a considerable improvement over MM for the sort of work I do (landscapes). Viewfinder inaccuracy – esp. with WA and external finders – is a real problem. But live view would be like looking at the ground glass of a baby view camera (right side up, and already in BW!).

An A7m or an A9 with BW conversion would be just about as good.

Kirk

Last edited:

animefx

We can probably guess the maximum ISO of a theoretical M240 Monochrom by looking at the improvement from the M9 to the MM... The M9 maximum ISO 2500 went all the way to the M Monochrom's ISO 10,000. I'm not sure exactly how many stops that is (2 1/2 stops?) but I would argue that the maximum ISO on the M Monochrom is slightly more usable than the maximum ISO on the M9.

Since the M240 has both a higher maximum ISO and higher maximum "usable" ISO than the M9, we could easily get 3 or more stops out of a M240 Monochrom. I doubt we quite get into A7S territory, but we are also talking 24 megapixels vs. 12 megapixels. I wouldn't be surprised if we get usable ISO 80,000. If that's the case then sign me up for one! My primary complaints about the M240 was the color rendering (no worries about that with a M240 Monochrom) and the lack of punch to the files compared to the CCD based Leicas. Losing the bayer filter by going Monochrom will bring the perceived sharpness of the files up and give us something more along what us CCD users wanted... Or maybe even better?

This is only speculation but hey, that's all we can do in the meantime...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just a hunch.
Only works if the midtone sensitivity and spread is close to the CCD ...

And I assume that Leica knows the audience it has to please ... current as well as potential future owners.

Well my MM is gone ... awaiting the new new thing ... until then I have regressed just to keep my sensitivity sharp.....

GXR VC 35 1.4 SC

It will not print at 24x32 but my Epson died a slow painful death a while back...:ROTFL:

Bob

V

Vivek

I have my reasons but would not second guess what Leica may or may not do. As of late they seem to be doing a very good job of polishing metal blocks. So, may be they will extend that attention to details to a bit more techically important things. :)

jonoslack

I have my reasons but would not second guess what Leica may or may not do. As of late they seem to be doing a very good job of polishing metal blocks. So, may be they will extend that attention to details to a bit more techically important things. :)
Let's hope so, we'll just have to wait and see :angel:

250swb

Do it! I think the M240 mono will be a huge disappointment.

Given what we know about the current MM we could probably expect a new M240M to have the equivalent resolution of a 40mp colour sensor and 20,000 usable (not ugly) ISO, so essentially following the same small improvement ratio as the M240 had over the M9. The massive revolution in performance was the MM over the M9, and which also leapfrogged it well above the M240 for B&W work. That jump won't be seen again. So I think you could be correct Vivek, it comes down to EVF and a quieter shutter and the wildcard of will the CMOS sensor even be as nice as the CCD sensor anyway?

Steve

airfrogusmc

I have no reason to upgrade. My MM is just fine at high ISO and I like the rangefinder shooting experience much better than EVF/ live view and I certainly don't wnat more automation or video. So I will shoot with it until it dies and I can no longer get it repaired. No reason for me to upgrade. And price does suck but it sucks for most digital cameras. Some of the same people crying about the price of Leica don't think about dropping 8K for a top of the line Canon or Nikon. I'm old enough to remember when Leica M was over twice as much as the price of a Canon F-1 or Nikon F3. They were both top of the line.