Site Sponsors

Thread: New Bag, New Office, New Church (and WATE)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Bag, New Office, New Church (and WATE)

Hi There
    New Office
    After 23 years of working from home, I'm now commuting 25 miles to our new offices. And after 23 years working on my own, I'm in an office with 3 other people . . . apparently I suck my teeth and hum (children WILL tell you these things, even when they're 25).

New Bag
    I was about to sell my WATE, because I wasn't using it, not because it wasn't good. After some thought I realised that the real problem was that I couldn't fit it in my small Billingham Hadley with the frankenfinder attached. After some research, I found the Fogg B-Laika, which will take an m8 with WATE and frankenfinder, and another M8 with small lens. . . . Hooray!

New Church
    Well, I don't go to church, and I don't think that this one will change anything, but it's very pretty. It's in a field 200 metres from our new office. I haven't looked inside yet, as I still have to figure out where no 3 old lane is! This afternoon, just before sundown, I went out with the new bag and took a few shots, suddenly the WATE seems like a really wonderful lens.

all shots with an old (not updated) M8, together with the WATE, a milich adaptor. Shot in raw and processed in Aperture, with a little help from Viveza and Silver Efex Pro.

Overcooked? Oh Yes!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Bag, New Office, New Church (and WATE)

They look great Jono. In regards to the WATE, anytime I think of selling mine I look at some of the pictures taken with it. I don't think there is any wide angle for the M that works so well.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Moody, Atmospheric with a Touch of Noir... Love It Jono

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations on a bunch of new directions Jono. Nice to see an example of a workplace that's increasing its numbers of employees rather than the opposite.

Wonderful tree! I love to see majestic old trees like that square in the middle of a working field. Nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent shots! Love the last one. Silver Effects gets more appealing each time I see the result of someone's work with it.

Cancelledreality

They are all great, Jono. That WATE looks tempting

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    They look great Jono. In regards to the WATE, anytime I think of selling mine I look at some of the pictures taken with it. I don't think there is any wide angle for the M that works so well.

Robert
    Hi Robert
    My problem with the WATe has always been the hassle of using it, putting the rangefinder on and off etc.
    The new bag has really changed that, as I can leave one body in the bag with the WATE and finder, and fit the other with a 35 or 50 'cron (with space for another lens). Suddenly it's there and easy to use.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Moody, Atmospheric with a Touch of Noir... Love It Jono
    Thank you Helen - we don't have much in the way of landscape around here, so you have to rely on the sky!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Congratulations on a bunch of new directions Jono. Nice to see an example of a workplace that's increasing its numbers of employees rather than the opposite.
    Let's hope we haven't gone completely mad!

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Wonderful tree! I love to see majestic old trees like that square in the middle of a working field. Nicely done.
    Isn't it a lovely Oak. There are lots of trees around here in fields - mostly fields that are near boggy bits and used for grazing, but it's still good. In fact, there are an increasing number of trees around here these days.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by markwon View Post
    Excellent shots! Love the last one. Silver Effects gets more appealing each time I see the result of someone's work with it.
    Thank you
    In this case I was using Silver efex in conjunction with Viveza (Viveza first with the colour u-point to darken the blue skies, and then the red filter in Silver efex to finish the job. I've been doing the same thing in photoshop for years, but not without a pretty disastrous increase in noise . . . which doesn't seem to happen here.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cancelledreality View Post
    They are all great, Jono. That WATE looks tempting
    Hi Hans
    The WATE is great! It does take a while to get used to using it, especially with the finder. I tend to pick a focal length, and then use it like that most of the time (be it 16,18 or 21) rather than flipping about.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    New Office
    After 23 years of working from home, I'm now commuting 25 miles to our new offices. And after 23 years working on my own, I'm in an office with 3 other people . . . apparently I suck my teeth and hum (children WILL tell you these things, even when they're 25).

New Bag
    I was about to sell my WATE, because I wasn't using it, not because it wasn't good. After some thought I realised that the real problem was that I couldn't fit it in my small Billingham Hadley with the frankenfinder attached. After some research, I found the Fogg B-Laika, which will take an m8 with WATE and frankenfinder, and another M8 with small lens. . . . Hooray!

New Church
    Well, I don't go to church, and I don't think that this one will change anything, but it's very pretty. It's in a field 200 metres from our new office. I haven't looked inside yet, as I still have to figure out where no 3 old lane is! This afternoon, just before sundown, I went out with the new bag and took a few shots, suddenly the WATE seems like a really wonderful lens.

all shots with an old (not updated) M8, together with the WATE, a milich adaptor. Shot in raw and processed in Aperture, with a little help from Viveza and Silver Efex Pro.

Overcooked? Oh Yes!
    Congrats on all that's new... and those shots... especially that last one... Wow. Very nice. Keep that lens (or sell it to me .

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

Congratulations on the new office. Looks like you have some nice subjects in the vicinity.

I like the processing of all the images here but the first sky is really very good.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

These are beautiful images. In regards to the WATE, could you comment on the image/lens quality comparing it with the Olympus 7-14/4 ZD? Thanks,

Kind regards,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Congrats on all that's new... and those shots... especially that last one... Wow. Very nice. Keep that lens (or sell it to me .
    Hi Lloyd
    thank you VERY much - sorry though, the lens is not for sale, especially now I have the new bag!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, Nice. Like them all. I would like to see the interior of the Church when you get a chance to visit it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecliffordsmith View Post
    Jono,

Congratulations on the new office. Looks like you have some nice subjects in the vicinity.

I like the processing of all the images here but the first sky is really very good.
    HI Ed
    It's an interesting area - a bit flat, but big estates and lots of fields with big oak trees. I've done my city stint, and this is as rural as it could be.

As for the processing, I'll gladly take the credit, but we have such wonderful tools these days.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
    Jono,

These are beautiful images. In regards to the WATE, could you comment on the image/lens quality comparing it with the Olympus 7-14/4 ZD? Thanks,

Kind regards,
    Hi There
    Thank you - How to compare! First think is the actual range:
    Zuiko = equivalent to 14-28
    Leica = equivalent to 21-28
    Obviously the leica is much smaller (and much more expensive). I haven't done any direct comparisons, but my gut instinct is that the Leica is a little better at the corners and edges, but in the mid range at least the Zuiko has better controlled distortion . . . but it's only a feeling.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm still trying to get over the fact that the man of my dreams sucks his teeth and hums....

wbrandsma

He might be sucking his teeth and hums Cam, but he sure made some beautiful photographs. Like I said at dpreview, I really love the second and last photograph Jono!

And congrats on your office. That must have been an exiting event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    He might be sucking his teeth and hums Cam, but he sure made some beautiful photographs.
    this is so true!
    (i just had to rattle him because nobody else did)

Jono, Im glad you're using this lens again -- it's simply stunning in your hands. looking forward to seeing more as well. church interiors could be awesome!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Cam
    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    i'm still trying to get over the fact that the man of my dreams sucks his teeth and hums....
    Don't let it worry you - I can assure you that it can't last . . . having one's 25 year old (oops, 26 yesterday) son telling you about it is the best possible cure.

this is so true!
    (i just had to rattle him because nobody else did)
    I'm suitably rattled (and very sorry to disappoint you - I guess the meet up in Bruges is now off
    Jono, Im glad you're using this lens again -- it's simply stunning in your hands. looking forward to seeing more as well. church interiors could be awesome!
    Thank you - It's funny how much difference it makes having a bag which fits a camera with the viewfinder attached.
    As for church interiors, I fear the thunderbolt - I'm not sure that any church would let me in without retribution (added to which I can't be bothered with tripods!).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    He might be sucking his teeth and hums Cam, but he sure made some beautiful photographs. Like I said at dpreview, I really love the second and last photograph Jono!

And congrats on your office. That must have been an exiting event.
    Thank you! The office is a mixed blessing, but at least it's a nice office in a nice place . . the pub we went to for lunch yesterday was absolutely splendid:
    Devilled Kidneys and a pint of Adnams IPA with a big log fire, what could be nicer!

Just this guy you know

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Devilled Kidneys. Not even going to ask but they must be mine since i gave up both of them for gear.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Devilled Kidneys. Not even going to ask but they must be mine since i gave up both of them for gear.

they probably were yours - have one last look:

Devilled Kidneys

Just this guy you know

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well it has cayenne pepper so they must be it. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Something interesting I noticed on my last trip:

I used the WATE for about 5% of all my pictures taken and when I was choosing my favorites to print, about 50% of those were taken with the WATE.

So, it is a lens that I don't use as often as the 35 cron or 90 elmarit, but when I do use it, I absolutely love the results.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Something interesting I noticed on my last trip:

I used the WATE for about 5% of all my pictures taken and when I was choosing my favorites to print, about 50% of those were taken with the WATE.

So, it is a lens that I don't use as often as the 35 cron or 90 elmarit, but when I do use it, I absolutely love the results.

David
    HI David
    For me, it was simply a bother, so I didn't use it much. I just got a b-laika bag from Fogg, which, apart from being very small and completely delicious, also has room for an M8 with WATE AND frankenfinder, plus another body with a 35 or 50 'cron, and another lens (75 'cron in my case).

Suddenly using the WATE has become a pleasure rather than a hassle . . . HOORAY!

Just this guy you know

terryc

Lotsa change Jono. As always great pictures, good luck with the new digs.

Best regards. Terry.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful shots and processing. Congrats, Al.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There

Thank you! The office is a mixed blessing, but at least it's a nice office in a nice place . . the pub we went to for lunch yesterday was absolutely splendid:
    Devilled Kidneys and a pint of Adnams IPA with a big log fire, what could be nicer!
    I really don't think that was very nice of you Jono to discuss British food and Britsh Ale in front of me where I am not able to enjoy in that particular pub!!!

sclamb

Nice pictures Jono. Have you considered some interior shots of the churches that you have photographed? They looks so nice from the outside I am sure there will be some nice possibilities inside.

Simon