Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Arrow LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Bart ...

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post

    Who? Kravitz!

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UzWHE32IxUc
    With best regards, K-H.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Hosermage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Hey, I have a M9 CORRESPONDENT now

    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    I am offering a service to any Leica owners: I will hand-rub the paint off in key areas. I am charging $10,000 per camera and $5,000 per lens.
    Brad Husick
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    All I can say is - the world is really going crazy

    Anyway I must admit this camera and lenses look gorgeous

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Lenny Kravitz : one-hit wonder.

    This part of the blurb intrigues me ;
    All the components of the set are ‘Made in Germany’.
    In italics : do they mean they were sort of made somewhere near Germany?

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Douglas View Post
    Lenny Kravitz : one-hit wonder.

    This part of the blurb intrigues me ;

    In italics : do they mean they were sort of made somewhere near Germany?

    Hit, which song?
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    All I can say is - the world is really going crazy

    Anyway I must admit this camera and lenses look gorgeous
    I'm not sure I understand why Leica making a couple of special-cosmetics limited edition run cameras means "the world is going crazy."

    It looks nice to me too. I don't really know who Lenny Kravitz is, but if it were a standard cosmetic treatment option, I might go for it.

    G

  9. #9
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Does it come with ripped jeans?

    Someday, in the far, far distant future, Leica will do something so stupid and insulting that even the fanboys will sneer.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    were they rubbed my Lenny himself?

  11. #11
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why Leica making a couple of special-cosmetics limited edition run cameras means "the world is going crazy."

    It looks nice to me too. I don't really know who Lenny Kravitz is, but if it were a standard cosmetic treatment option, I might go for it.

    G
    For me, who always tried so far to keep my cameras looking without any damages, this just feels crazy. Personal thing this is.

    But I agree that if this was a standard cosmetic option I also might go for it.

    Peter

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Does it come with ripped jeans?

    Someday, in the far, far distant future, Leica will do something so stupid and insulting that even the fanboys will sneer.
    Maybe someday, in the not so far distant future, people will understand that calling other people "fanboys" is an insult, and that doing so displays their own bigotry and prejudice more than anything about the people they're insulting.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    For me, who always tried so far to keep my cameras looking without any damages, this just feels crazy. Personal thing this is.

    But I agree that if this was a standard cosmetic option I also might go for it.
    I do the same ... Even my heavily used cameras only show small signs of use, and certainly nothing like the paint rubbing off and the edges brassing on this special edition. However, I do like how it looks, like a nicely 'antiqued' chest of drawers.
    :-)

    G

  14. #14
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Mike Johnston doesn't seem thrilled:

    The Online Photographer: Not So Cool New Stuff

    And it's less than $25,000: http://leicarumors.com/2015/02/24/le...nnounced.aspx/

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    i think it looks good....

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Ok, I don't personally like it. I thought it was going to look different when I read the rumour. Leica should have taken a page from Panerai's limited edition hand-book when it came to making something brass (see PAM382 "Bronzo").

    Anyway, you guys can't be serious when you say you don't know who Lenny Kravitz is. I mean, he's not been active for a while (album wise), but he's pretty talented.. Well beyond platinum status in a time when musicians weren't manufactured and **** like platinum mattered.

    Anyway, when my cameras start to look like that, I sell them off and buy new ones. I buy black cameras for a reason.


    (Note to self... Become famous, shoot with Leica, have them build you a custom camera.)

  17. #17
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I am offering a service to any Leica owners: I will hand-rub the paint off in key areas. I am charging $10,000 per camera and $5,000 per lens.
    I have an even better offer:
    I will personally use your Leica camera, preferably with a Summicron 50 APO, for a period of 10-15 years to give it a genuine "Correspondent" look. In the meantime, I'll let you use my Olympus OM-3 that already has this look. All this for a super low price of zero dollars

    Jokes aside; this was bound to happen. In the "old" days, real cameras looked used. Nowadays, people change cameras too often for that to happen, and the result is that Leica can make a few bucks rubbing some paint off one of theirs. It's sad and a waste of resources, but the camera industry is not the only one.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by aDam007 View Post
    ...
    Anyway, you guys can't be serious when you say you don't know who Lenny Kravitz is.
    ...
    Absolutely serious. I'd never heard of him before.
    I've never been accused of having my thumb on the pulse of popular culture...

    I know who Felix Cavaliere is, however. But only because he happens to be my cousin. :-)

    G

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    ...... It's sad and a waste of resources........
    Indeed, and a waste of a self parody for those of us whose Leicacentric-humour has long gone.

    ............ Chris

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by aDam007 View Post
    Ok, I don't personally like it. I thought it was going to look different when I read the rumour. Leica should have taken a page from Panerai's limited edition hand-book when it came to making something brass (see PAM382 "Bronzo").

    Anyway, you guys can't be serious when you say you don't know who Lenny Kravitz is. I mean, he's not been active for a while (album wise), but he's pretty talented.. Well beyond platinum status in a time when musicians weren't manufactured and **** like platinum mattered.

    Anyway, when my cameras start to look like that, I sell them off and buy new ones. I buy black cameras for a reason.


    (Note to self... Become famous, shoot with Leica, have them build you a custom camera.)
    that watch is hedious! sorry if you bought one. but... it looks so bling bling

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    that watch is hedious! sorry if you bought one. but... it looks so bling bling
    No I didn't buy one, way to big for my wrist. It looks good on Sylvester Stallone though... If any of you happen to know who he is :P
    But if you were to read about the idea behind the use of that material on the watch. It's a pretty interesting concept. You use it, and it patinas over time. So what you end up with is a watch with a cool green patina.

    Anyway, I do have several of the more classic Panerai watches. They're great and have a long and interesting history. All the markers of a great Indiana Jones film, but it's a watch company!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Absolutely serious. I'd never heard of him before.
    I've never been accused of having my thumb on the pulse of popular culture...

    I know who Felix Cavaliere is, however. But only because he happens to be my cousin. :-)

    G
    And you don't own a radio???

    Kidding of course. I'm sure you've heard his songs, probably just don't remember them. He was much bigger in the nineties and early 2k. I guess he's been busy taking photos and making a Leica book lately.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    No CA
    Posts
    796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    IMO this is the goofiest luxury edition of them all: collectors can put it in a case and never use it, so that it'll forever be a Minty distressed camera.

    Kirk

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    To be honest, I really LOVE the M60 but wish they had released it with the 50APO. I'd have bought it in a snap had they done that. I would have also liked to see it in black finish.

  25. #25
    Senior Member chrism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    It's hard enough to hold one's head up in some photographic circles, where one is automatically considered a poseur and a fanboy simply for using a Leica. This does not help one bit. Even I'm embarrassed by it.

    Chris
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Since most of my Leica gear was stolen last year, I would happily take delivery of this "Correspondent" set ...

    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #27
    Senior Member JohnBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    So correspondents have always been carrying their Leica's in a snakeskin briefcase?

  28. #28
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    It would be cheaper to buy a brand new M-P body and selectively rub off parts of it with Brasso.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Advertising is always about the lie, addressing the point at which the product fails. The thing never makes you more attractive, desirable, thinner, etc...

    Leica doesn't get that digital cameras are not like analog cameras, they will not last decades, they are obsolete consumer electronics from the day they are made. So they will never accumulate the kind of wear these cameras look like they have sustained- the sensor/battery will have long failed by then, or digital imaging will have moved on. 5-7 years is the lifetime of these products.

    My M6 however will outlive me and making the assumption that film will still be around it will still be useful if one chooses that. Being the category that invented the idea, even if it does not it has nothing to prove.

    It is like the forthcoming Apple Watch. The idea of selling a premium product in the digital sphere is nonsensical. Getting 3 years out of a iPhone is about it, to say that a the watch will remain useful considering battery failure, OS upgrades, the evolution of the internet, etc. means nothing we make now has any survivability. It is just not the DNA of the age we live in, to make long lasting products.

    We are paying for simulacra.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    I would not personally buy one if it was the same price as standard, but that's just me. Whatever makes people happy and makes Leica a profitable business works for me....

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    I like it so much I'm making own LOL

    I'll never regard brassing the same again.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Or are we all just a bit shallow in our feelings for this camera?

    Two thousand years ago until the present day Buddhism has the answer in the concept of wabi-sabi, 'nothing is perfect, nothing is finished, nothing lasts'.

    Once accepted it's a concept that may stop burst blood vessels.

    Steve

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Since most of my Leica gear was stolen last year, I would happily take delivery of this "Correspondent" set ...

    Why? Because the correspondent with it used look is more safe to not been stolen?

    IMO it does look cool but the fact that it is artifical I would allways feel like owning a fake camera.
    If this was as camera which my father and myself have used and it would look like this from real use, I would be very proud to own and use it.

    On the other side, people by jeans in used look, bags and all kinds of stuff, why not a camera.

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Why? Because the correspondent with it used look is more safe to not been stolen?
    Hi Tom,

    I'm sure you understand that was not my point here ...

    Kind regards.
    Bart ...

  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    Advertising is always about the lie, addressing the point at which the product fails. The thing never makes you more attractive, desirable, thinner, etc...

    Leica doesn't get that digital cameras are not like analog cameras, they will not last decades, they are obsolete consumer electronics from the day they are made. So they will never accumulate the kind of wear these cameras look like they have sustained- the sensor/battery will have long failed by then, or digital imaging will have moved on. 5-7 years is the lifetime of these products.

    My M6 however will outlive me and making the assumption that film will still be around it will still be useful if one chooses that. Being the category that invented the idea, even if it does not it has nothing to prove.

    It is like the forthcoming Apple Watch. The idea of selling a premium product in the digital sphere is nonsensical. Getting 3 years out of a iPhone is about it, to say that a the watch will remain useful considering battery failure, OS upgrades, the evolution of the internet, etc. means nothing we make now has any survivability. It is just not the DNA of the age we live in, to make long lasting products.

    We are paying for simulacra.
    i think some of the more unique digital cameras may retain value and use, if they last, which is a big if. i dont see much reason to use a mid range low end dslr of this era in 20 years time, but then again we might hit a wall and stuff will stagnate.

    but the user experience of a leica, or the look of some sigma cameras might save them from the landfill.

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’


  37. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    Advertising is always about the lie, addressing the point at which the product fails. The thing never makes you more attractive, desirable, thinner, etc...

    Leica doesn't get that digital cameras are not like analog cameras, they will not last decades, they are obsolete consumer electronics from the day they are made. So they will never accumulate the kind of wear these cameras look like they have sustained- the sensor/battery will have long failed by then, or digital imaging will have moved on. 5-7 years is the lifetime of these products.

    My M6 however will outlive me and making the assumption that film will still be around it will still be useful if one chooses that. Being the category that invented the idea, even if it does not it has nothing to prove.

    It is like the forthcoming Apple Watch. The idea of selling a premium product in the digital sphere is nonsensical. Getting 3 years out of a iPhone is about it, to say that a the watch will remain useful considering battery failure, OS upgrades, the evolution of the internet, etc. means nothing we make now has any survivability. It is just not the DNA of the age we live in, to make long lasting products.

    We are paying for simulacra.
    Wonderful response. Having studied Baudrillard in school, I completely agree. It would help this camera a lot if it was a film MP and not digital. Surely making something that expensive and unique as a digital camera is being naive about its longevity. It'd be like buying some super exclusive Tesla, hoping it'll last 'forever'.

    However, I have to disagree with most on the topic of Leica making high end luxury goods. They are merely responding to the luxury goods market, which is growing at a staggering rate, and it very well might be what they need to do to survive. These "Kravitz" cameras will be sold, to multimillionaires or billionaires as Christmas or Birthday gifts. The extremely wealthy just don't care about the price tag, but if this keeps Leica in business and thriving, then so be it. It is more a reflection on the state of the world than the company itself.

    I worked for Taschen books, and if it were not for the ridiculous 5/10/15 K books they sell to the .1% of the world's wealthiest, the company might not exist any more. I for one am very happy that it does, because it is an absolutely brilliant and unique publishing house. Same goes for Leica.

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    It's hard enough to hold one's head up in some photographic circles, where one is automatically considered a poseur and a fanboy simply for using a Leica. This does not help one bit. Even I'm embarrassed by it.

    Chris
    Seriously.. It takes a lot more skill to shoot with an M240 then it does to shoot with Canon or Nikon. Try shooting a wedding sometime with a 5D3/D4 then another with a M240. You'll see what I mean. And you won't care what those circles say about you anymore.

  39. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LEICA M-P ‘CORRESPONDENT’

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Hit, which song?
    Sorry for the three-week delay in my answer,
    his one hit was called "Are you gonna go my way?" ... I think.

    It was good, no doubt about that.
    It was also singular.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •