The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In hand ... new M-P

Godfrey

The M-P type 240, replacement/exchange for my M9 with bad sensor, arrived yesterday. Brand spankin' new...

Couldn't have arrived at a worse moment, however. Not only am I inundated with work for the office, but I've got the home office completely torn apart—today all new shelving will be installed.

I opened the box, took it out and admired it, wrapped it back in its plastic bag, closed up the box, and put it away until the current chaos is over. Even charging the battery will have to wait until tomorrow at least.

It's darn nice though. Can't wait to get to work with it!

G

f6cvalkyrie

:lecture::lecture: make sure you can remember where you did put the box away, Godfrey
:banghead::angry::cussing::angry:

Congrats with your new camera !!!
Rafael

Paratom

Did you choose silver or black?
After having used the A7II more often, just last week I shot a birthday with the M and enjoyed it so much that at the moment the M gets more use than the Sony again.
The simple user interface, seeing around the image in the viewfinder and the excellent lenses (I use 35mm and 50mm for 85% of the images with the M) makes the M a very intuitive camera to use and results in quite satisfying results.
Enjoy using it!

Godfrey

Batteries charged. 'Lux 35 fitted, Nokton 50 in bag. Strap fitted. 32G card fitted, formatted. Date and Time set. Leica already upgraded the firmware to v2.0.1.7 for me.

Lessee what it does this week. :)

G

Godfrey

First few frames ...
- Did a reset to factory settings to start from scratch.

Forgot this sets it to JPEG only for the first couple of frames. Oops.

- Set the lens detection to manual for Summilux 35.
- Set DNG compression off.
- Set JPEG fine + DNG
- Reset the file numbering (card out of M9 was telling me I had over 7000 exposures with the camera ... I'd gotten to about 17,000 with that body. ;-)

I've made about 10 exposures now.

- Love the feel of the shutter release and the sound of the shutter compared to the M9 ... the M-P sounds just like my M4-2 without the need to wind on to the next frame. This is how an M should sound! :)

- I keep hearing from folks that the M typ 240 is fatter than the M9. Hmm. Without the big 4way controller and rotating dial of the M9, it felt slimmer to my hands. I slipped it into the A&A half case ... a near perfect fit other than the relocated rear controls. If the baseplate is about 1mm thicker fore-aft, I can't feel it. It is a bit heavier, all in the battery I think, but to me it is much nicer in the hand than the M9; I think it's the four-way controller which I always used to bump with the M9.

- The 'Lux 35 v2 magic is there. That's really all that matters.

- Even on JPEG capture, the lovely light in my garage as I walked to the car was recorded much more accurately that I was never able to get out of the M9. The delicacy of the color and tonal gradations is terrific.

I'm happy. :)

G

mmbma

i just sold my M240. let you know if you are interested in the multipurpose grip (non GPS) and finger loop (large)

Godfrey

No doubt! Congrats and enjoy.
Thanks John!

The more I learn and use it, the more I like it. Compared to my M9:

- The viewfinder and rangefinder are clearer, easier to see with in use.

- The new thumb dial and four way controls on the rear of the camera make it much easier to handle! That surprised me. For some reason, the M9 always seemed a little awkward to me.

- The shutter sound and action are superb. Just the right level of quiet and positive.

- Now I can create User Configurations and save them to the storage card, or read them in from the storage card! This is great ...

I like using it much more than my M9. I like its colors, the improved sensitivity, and most of all the responsiveness and attention to detail throughout. I'm glad I went for it.
G