The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two Qs about the M-P...

Godfrey

Flash: I see Metz makes the Meacblitz 26 AF-1 listed for Olympus, Panasonic, and Leica cameras. Is this also compatible with the M-P? If it is, does this imply that other FoirThirds/Micro-FourThirds are Leica M-P compatible?

Cable release: does the M-P have a standard cable release thread?

Thx
G

Godfrey

Flash: I see Metz makes the Meacblitz 26 AF-1 listed for Olympus, Panasonic, and Leica cameras. Is this also compatible with the M-P? If it is, does this imply that other FoirThirds/Micro-FourThirds are Leica M-P compatible?

Cable release: does the M-P have a standard cable release thread?
Hmm. Answering my own questions ...

- Leica responded. They said the Leica/Panasonic cameras use a different dedicated protocol from the German made Leica cameras, so the FourThirds flashes are likely not compatible. I was curious that they used the word "likely" ... anyone ever try them?

- My conical-thread cable release works fine, now that I'm home to try it out.

G

Don't know about that particular flash, but I just bought the Leica sf-58 2nd hand for just shy of 400€ in a great condition.. So yeah, double price but I'd also caim far more capable flash unit.

//Juha

Godfrey

Don't know about that particular flash, but I just bought the Leica sf-58 2nd hand for just shy of 400€ in a great condition.. So yeah, double price but I'd also caim far more capable flash unit.

//Juha
I'm sure that's true, but it wasn't the point of my query. The Metz 26 AF-1 ($130) for Leica/Panasonic cameras is sold as the Leica SF 26 Flash ($390) by Leica for Leica M/M-P. If the flash unit-body protocol is the same between then, that's a huge savings. It also means that other, higher-end flash units compatible with FourThirds/Micro-FourThirds would be compatible as well (a protcol specification guarantees that). I happen to have two higher-end Olympus flash units (FL-36 and FL-50): if the protocol was the same, it would save me several hundred dollars as well as yet another flash unit to manage.

In truth, I usually don't use dedicated flash units. A simple RF flash trigger and a manual flash unit usually does everything I need. I was curious simply because I have these flash units and know they're compatible with Leica/Panasonic products as well. So I wanted a determination as to whether Leica used the same flash protocol with the M line. Evidently, they do not.

G

The answer to that is probably: it depends. I remember there was a Metz counterpaet for sf-58 with some sca-adapter that would work with Leica. The sf-26 might have the same in 26 AF-1. The other ones won't probably do TTL.

Then again the different sf-series units work on all Leica products, so would be strange if protocol is different. So might be just that the 26 AF-1 has some larger firmware to support multiple protocols?

At best it's a matter of finding a dealer that let's you try the flash in advance.

250swb

The tilt and swivel Olympus FL36 and FL50 both work with the M240 in Auto or Manual modes, not TTL. Both flashes can be used either with m4/3 or 35mm by changing the menu option which in turn alters the zoom settings for the focal length chosen.

Steve

Godfrey

The tilt and swivel Olympus FL36 and FL50 both work with the M240 in Auto or Manual modes, not TTL. Both flashes can be used either with m4/3 or 35mm by changing the menu option which in turn alters the zoom settings for the focal length chosen.
Thanks Steve! That will be good enough for my needs. :)

Oh ... I presume you mean the menu option in the flash unit, right? I haven't used the FL36 in quite a while, have to hunt up where the instruction manual is!

:: Ah, don't know where the paper manual is off the top of my head, but I have the PDF. I see the control menu you mentioned now. Thanks again!

Further hunting ... I guess I sold or loaned the FL-50 to a friend of mine. I'll have to call him and see if he bought it—it was that long ago that I used it. No matter, the FL-36 is good enough for my uses along with the other non-dedicated flash units. :) ::

G

250swb

Glad it's going to work Godfrey. I think the Olympus units are just about the right size although the FL50 can be a bit top heavy without a grip on the camera. And yes, I also lost my instructions and needed to download the pdf. for the FL36! I think if it was better known about the FF/35mm potential the Olympus flashes would be much more sought after.

Steve

Godfrey

As usual, Olympus makes (or has OEM'ed for them) good stuff. I got the FL-36 on clear out sale when the FL-36R had just been introduced. I think I paid $90 for it, and it's been 100% reliable.

Oh yes: Leica USA got back to me about the cable release. Seems I have just exactly the right one, small conical thread where the pusher part doesn't stick out too far until you press the button. :)

G