The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

filter options for the WATE

mmbma

Anyone has any experience with filters for the leica 16-18-21 WATE? the lens' front element protrudes so i wonder what filters (others than lee) cant be fitted

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Go to milich.com :)

A long time ago John milich (Jlm) came up with a screw on adapter for the WATE. You will never look back ...

Last edited:
The Milich adapter was designed for M8 and interferes with the corners of full frame.

You want this instead:

Leica 14473 E67 Filter Adaptr for 16 - 18 - 21mm F/4.0 14473

B&H doesn't seem to have them, so I got mine from Adorama. It screws on so that the two cut-outs in the picture end up at the top of the lens. The 67mm holder would block a chunk of the VF, but the cutouts let your external VFs or Frankenfinder 'see through' the top of the filter. If, however, the sun would shine through the cutouts onto the filter from behind, you put in the black ring to keep out stray light and flare.

Kirk

PS: Lightest Leica landscape kit: WATE +MATE + 24 f2.8 to fill the gap between them. IMO the older 24 from late 1990s is a better IQ match for the Tri-Elmars than the newer Karbe-designed 24s or the Zeiss 25.

mmbma

Thanks so much Kirk.

I never tried the MATE. I have 28, 35 and 50 summincrons. Just traded the 24mm summilux for this WATE.

jstaben

Kirk is 100% right. I had the adapter but lost it. Use that plus a screw on filter plus a generic filter cap and it works great. He is correct about the Milch adapter I researched that and even asked him about it. It's a NO GO for sure on everything but the M8.