The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Assembling a Leica kit

Paratom

I just read you plan to use film. I think film is not so critical in regards of focus accuracy so the older lenses might very well work very good.

algrove

I agree about using older lenses on film. They can cosy less than the current ASPH and some do render very nicely.

PM sent to OP.

herrbarnack

A lens set consisting of 35, 50 and 90 will do about anything you want or need; these focal lengths are very good choices.

Also - do not overlook older, non-ASPH lenses. They are less costly than newer lenses and are excellent performers. For the 35mm and 50mm focal lengths, the last non-ASPH versions are the ones to seek out, particularly the 35/2.0 and the 50/1.4 lenses.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
So I am coming back to the fold, or at least trying to.
A typ 240 will be arriving tomorrow and a 50 asph to start.
I have not ordered the EVF as yet. What are the opinions on its utility?
thanks
-bob

Godfrey

When I first received my M-P typ 240, I used it much as I had the M9: optical RF only, etc. Then I started to use the Live View and Info screens ... Makes it easier to see what your doing before you bring the camera to your eye when making exposure compensation settings, when roughing in focus quickly, when doing alternative angles that are hard to get your eye behind the viewfinder.

Then I fitted the EVF. I don't use it much with a 35mm or 50mm lens. But shooting with lenses outside the 35-50mm range, I move back and forth between the optical VF/RF and EVF fluidly now. Of course, when I fit a Micro-Nikkor or 180mm lens, I use it to focus and shoot.

To me, having both Live View and EVF options brings the M into the modern world and gives me a much more versatile camera to work with.

(BTW, buy an Olympus VF-2 for $150-225 rather than the Leica EVF2. It's exactly the same hardware for less than half the price. All you miss is the LEICA logo.)

G

V

Vivek

thanks
-bob
Congrats, Bob! :)

If the eye sight is good then you do not need an EVF. :)

segedi

Then I fitted the EVF. I don't use it much with a 35mm or 50mm lens. But shooting with lenses outside the 35-50mm range, I move back and forth between the optical VF/RF and EVF fluidly now. Of course, when I fit a Micro-Nikkor or 180mm lens, I use it to focus and shoot.

To me, having both Live View and EVF options brings the M into the modern world and gives me a much more versatile camera to work with.

(BTW, buy an Olympus VF-2 for $150-225 rather than the Leica EVF2. It's exactly the same hardware for less than half the price. All you miss is the LEICA logo.)

G
^ This mirrors my experience as well. I can fit a pentax 135/2.5, nikon g 85mm, sigma 150mm macro, Petzvar 150mm, and a whole host of other lenses if I wish. And it comes in really handy with the odd time I want to have perfect framing on a wide angle M lens. And I bought a used Oly version.

algrove

Bob
Congrats
My eyesight is lousy so the EVF is a necessity. I do also find it useful with lenses wider than 28 for framimg accuracy. As mentioned the focus peaking and magnification feature is terrific. Plus as mentioned the exposure data in the bottom of the EVF lets me keep the eye on it for all exposures. I would like to use the RF more, but often can't. It sure is nice to have 2 options in one camera though, excluding rear LCD view, but then you have to take your eye off the "ball" with that.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my last experience with Leica was the M8 and a bunch of lenses that needed tweaking. I think I kept DAG in business for two-three months just with the cameras and lenses I sent him after Leica service failed.
So we will see if it is my eyes or the camera. I am sure that my eye is not the best, but I also know that the M8 with pre-digital lenses was a recipe for disappointment.
So wee will see... I really like rangefinder focusing if it works and I suppose that if I need the evf I might use it especially with wider lenses.
I have tried the evf on the Sony a7r but broke out in a rash and my eyes felt that I had been poked with toothpicks. A pink sky was just too surreal for my taste.
-bob

Last edited:
V

Vivek

That remains to be seen.
Hope it works out for you. FWIW, I can focus a Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5 on the MM quite well. It is not a matter of predigital lenses.

Also, the Summarit 35/2.5 shows no "pink skies" on my A7r.

Godfrey

I was talking on another forum about the M-P and MM246. Seems that Leica recommends a minimum of 95MB/second storage cards for these cameras. I didn't know that .. So I've got two Sandisk Extreme Pro cards on order now. They're not that expensive, but be sure to put them on the list if you're going to buy in.

Geez... 64G of high speed storage for less than $70. Wonders truly.

G