The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S 100 cron

GMB

I am contemplating getting this lens and curious to hear from those who have it what their impressions/views are, in particular how it relates/ compares to the 120 macro.

Paratom

Somewhere I saw some comparison shots, where the 100 had slightly nicer skin tone.
I prefer the 100 over the 120 because I like the focal lengh better plus the 100 is much lighter and a little smaller. You also get an extra 1/2 f-stop. I do also like the bokeh quite a bit.
On the other side I couldnt say anything bad about the 120. I dont know if I could detect if an image was taken with the 100 or the 120 without looking into the Exif.

aDam007

I ended up with the 120APO, although I was originally eyeing up the 100.

Not sure if it was the best choice. I'm still considering if I should pickup the 100 as well, but don't really want to spend the money on lenses that are so close in FL (I also have the 70mm).

My take on the 120APO if it helps. I found it a bit boring at first, but have grown to like it's subtle nature. The bokeh is good though slightly plastic. The falloff can be a bit weird, but the sharpness and colors are good.

From the two times I tested the 100, I couldn't get any shots in critical focus. Perhaps it was my technique. Perhaps the lenses I tested were bad. Either way, in both cases I was left wondering if it was me, or the lens. Which isn't a good sign, as most of the time, it's the lens. Especially considering every other lens I tested on the second time out ended up sharp and accurate.

The thing that keeps me interested in the lens is the final results. I see some great images made with the lens. I really do like the quality and speed. I kinda wish that the 45 was a Summicron as well. 100/45 summicrons would make a great two lens kit.

GMB

Thanks for the responses so far. I should have mentioned that I have the 120 and have used it for portrait work.

RVB

Georg,here are a couple of reviews,I'm also planning to buy this lens,the 120 APO is close in FL and has CS but its heavier and focuses slower.

Jakob de Boer : Testing the Leica S 100mm Summicron

Leica Summicron-S 100 - SORTVITT

Images // Summicron-S 1:2,0/100 mm ASPH. // Leica S-Lenses // Leica S // Photography - Leica Camera AG

Marc has this lens So he would be the right person to talk to,he posted some images taken with it here http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Photography/Leica-S-Work/47850624_x4pBPv#!i=3926886717&k=BKS5kCB

It has similar character to the canon 85 1.2L,which was a favorite lens.

Adam,I would love to see a standard cron in APO,it might happen.. let s hope so..

Rob

Last edited:
M

mjr

I have the 100, I find it a beautifully rendering lens, focus is pretty quick on the 006 too. I tried the 120 but didn't need the macro abilities and preferred the shorter focus throw of the 100.

I use it alongside the 70mm, I find the 100 is the perfect length for portrait stuff and is a nice compliment to the more standard view of the 70, I personally don't feel they are too close in focal length but then I really like the 50/85 combination in 35mm terms so it suits me.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either but for me not needing the macro functionality, the 100 is the better option for ease of use.

Mat

erlingmm

I have both. The 100 is supposed to be optimized for portraits, sharp but a little softer. I does not come in a CS version, therefore it is light and short, close to the 70mm, which also makes it a good walk around for general use. The 120 is much heavier and bigger due to the CS option and macro, it also has a longer focus throw and may hunt (although better with newest firmware). I really like the 100 and find it very versatile.

GMB

Thanks for all the good advice. Picked up my copy today and love it. All shots wide open.