The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Poll: choose 2 Leica M lenses for travel

Which of the following 2 lenses would you choose for travel?

• 21/28

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21/35

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 21/50

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 21/75

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 21/90

• 28/35

• 28/50

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • 28/75

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 28/90

• 35/50

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 35/75

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • 35/90

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 50/75

• 50/90

• 75/90

• Other

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

Paratom

IMO 35 and 50mm are the ones which work best with the M viewfinder. 28mm framlines are not good to see, even for someone who does not wear glasses. 75mm is ok but not so easy to focus.
So my favorite is 35 and 50mm. Sometimes I like the 21SEM for its uwa character or if I want to catch a whole scene from closer distance.

seakayaker

I choose the 28/50 combo. ..... that what I felt like a few minuets ago.

I did just return from a five day trip where I used a 21/2.8 mm on a MM and a 50/1.4 on a M-P 240 and was quite happy with that. On another day I might have chosen the 24/3.8 and the 50/1.4.

All I know is options are good ......

silver92b

I've been walking around and shooting a lot during my vacation. I surprised myself by shooting a lot with the 35mm 'cron f2 and the CV 15mm f4.5... The 50mm 'lux and the 135mm stayed in the bag a lot of the time.

I might be wrong in the choice, but I think the Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 and the 50mm Lux might be an excellent combo. The CV 15 f4.5 is actually quite usable but for the magenta fringing. My only concern is that the 21mm might be a tad too wide...

algrove

IMO 35 and 50mm are the ones which work best with the M viewfinder. 28mm framlines are not good to see, even for someone who does not wear glasses. 75mm is ok but not so easy to focus.
So my favorite is 35 and 50mm. Sometimes I like the 21SEM for its uwa character or if I want to catch a whole scene from closer distance.

It is all so personal. For wides, like the 18,21,28 and Tri-Elmar I use the EVF-2 with no problem.

cam

I briefly got to play with my dream travel combo and was not disappointed at all:

50 APO on the Monochrom
and a Leica Q

It was perfection!

I really liked having the Q as a sidekick rather than an additional M body (too heavy) or an additional lens -- I loathe changing lenses in the field (the moment is gone) and I liked having a camera that did colour and could handle the load when my MM hung. The speed of the Q AF was outstanding whilst focusing it manually (while fiddly to change) was the best I've seen implemented on a fixed lens camera.

The only thing I missed, due to my love of shooting in absolute darkness was my f/1 Noctilux. The 50 APO may have sufficed but my MM went screwy and didn't record a series of images I made so I can't comment :banghead:

Anybody need a new kidney?

Paratom

I briefly got to play with my dream travel combo and was not disappointed at all:

50 APO on the Monochrom
and a Leica Q

It was perfection!

I really liked having the Q as a sidekick rather than an additional M body (too heavy) or an additional lens -- I loathe changing lenses in the field (the moment is gone) and I liked having a camera that did colour and could handle the load when my MM hung. The speed of the Q AF was outstanding whilst focusing it manually (while fiddly to change) was the best I've seen implemented on a fixed lens camera.

The only thing I missed, due to my love of shooting in absolute darkness was my f/1 Noctilux. The 50 APO may have sufficed but my MM went screwy and didn't record a series of images I made so I can't comment :banghead:

Anybody need a new kidney?
But why would you prefer B&W for 50mm and color for 28mm, or why AF for 28mm and rangefinder for 50mm?

cam

But why would you prefer B&W for 50mm and color for 28mm, or why AF for 28mm and rangefinder for 50mm?
My non-negotiable camera is the the Monochrom (at least 99% of my images are black and white). And a 50mm is usually glued to it. My old f/1 Noctilux is my favourite 50mm but, for travel, it's heavy and only close focuses to 1m. My 50mm pre-asph Summilux is what I've been travelling with, but it's brass BP and weighs tonne. That wears on you... I've been looking for a 50mm light-weight travel lens that focuses close and I'm afraid I'm quite smitten. Me, who prefers Mandler lenses over the newer designs.

As for the other, I happen to have an affinity for 28mm as well -- but don't love it on a rangefinder because you can't get close enough (at least for me). The Q does. The fact that it allows me colour for the 1% I might want it is a bonus. 28mm, to me, is personal and I like the option to have colour, auto-focus, live-view and all those things I usually don't use for that. It's a lovely break from rangefinder shooting, but even lovelier that I can zone focus easily if that's my preference. The fact that it weighs a less than my M9 with a 28 Cron is another plus.

I travel a *lot* and weight is important to me. But so is the look of the lens, and I find both the 50 APO and the 28/1.7 to be beautiful neutrals. They don't have the character of my older lenses but they also don't have the digital harshness of some smaller, slower lenses.

It's all my personal opinion but, to me, photography at it's best is personal.

- - - Updated - - -

:) Because he does ... ;-)

I tend to prefer AF with shorter focal lengths and MF with longer ones too.

G
Except I'm a she :ROTFL:

Glad you understand though, G. xxxx

rich_

I bring my VC 15MM and Lux 35MM with me when I travel.

They probably are used somewhere in the ratio of 10/90%. I just prefer to have the UW option just in case!

Godfrey

... Except I'm a she :ROTFL:
Hmm. I had no idea; you don't leave a lot of clues. And I have two (male) friends named Cameron who go by the nickname "Cam" ... Well, that's my excuse anyway. :cool:

G

asiafish

My non-negotiable camera is the the Monochrom (at least 99% of my images are black and white). And a 50mm is usually glued to it. My old f/1 Noctilux is my favourite 50mm but, for travel, it's heavy and only close focuses to 1m. My 50mm pre-asph Summilux is what I've been travelling with, but it's brass BP and weighs tonne. That wears on you... I've been looking for a 50mm light-weight travel lens that focuses close and I'm afraid I'm quite smitten. Me, who prefers Mandler lenses over the newer designs.

As for the other, I happen to have an affinity for 28mm as well -- but don't love it on a rangefinder because you can't get close enough (at least for me). The Q does. The fact that it allows me colour for the 1% I might want it is a bonus. 28mm, to me, is personal and I like the option to have colour, auto-focus, live-view and all those things I usually don't use for that. It's a lovely break from rangefinder shooting, but even lovelier that I can zone focus easily if that's my preference. The fact that it weighs a less than my M9 with a 28 Cron is another plus.

I travel a *lot* and weight is important to me. But so is the look of the lens, and I find both the 50 APO and the 28/1.7 to be beautiful neutrals. They don't have the character of my older lenses but they also don't have the digital harshness of some smaller, slower lenses.

It's all my personal opinion but, to me, photography at it's best is personal.

- - - Updated - - -

Except I'm a she :ROTFL:

Totally with you on weight and character. I'm still thinking about the Q, but I enjoy traveling with the X113 for the same reasons you mention. Its light, has a nice neutral rendering without digital harshness and because it lets me get closer than my M Monochrom and 35/2.5 Summarit do.

I'm only about 70% black and white, and my M Monochrom almost always has a 50mm lens attached, either a v5 Summicron (I'm another Mandler fan) or a vintage Zeiss Sonnar, which has its own kind of magic.

cam

Ah, I see, the Q was not for you (if I had the monies, I'd buy it from you!).

Which leads me to ask -- how many people are content with one camera, two lenses?

And who would prefer to have two cameras with them (each with a different focal length)?