Site Sponsors

Thread: Anyone up for a CMOS MM?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone up for a CMOS MM?

Rumors cliam that a CMOS based MM is imminent. I do not see myself overextending myself to get an unit, again (granted I am not a typical current Leica user). Even if Leica offers an upgrade path as with the M9 with a free custom engraving thrown in.

(OTOH, if Lou's prediction of a sub $3000/used MM comes through, I will get a back up.)

Is there any interest at all? I have a feeling that the earlier wait for 6 months after getting on the list fiasco will not happen this time around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anyone up for a CMOS MM?

i would definitely consider a $3000 USD MM, it can share all the accessories with my M9
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If I were in the market, I'd go for a "bargain" old MM instead. No interest in the new one. I'm inclined to think it's the same story as with M240 & M9.

Reflecting back on those times, now that I've been without an M for a bit, I'm thinking in many ways the M9 (mm as well) together with Mandler lenses was the pinnacle of digital M history. That sensor and those lenses produce pure magic. The new M and modern lenses are technically superior, but they lack in feel. I predict this will hold true with the new cmos mm as well.

//Juha
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Juha, I think that's wishful thinking, and you're just trying to convince yourself not to buy a M246

The problem with the M240 was that the color profiles weren't the same as the M9. Not better or worse, just not the same.

The M246 IF it is actually a new MM based on the M240 body, then it *should* be a significant ISO upgrade to the MM (at lest two stops cleaner) and would have all the modern -better- body enhancements. There wouldn't really be a drawback. No colors to complain about and the BW tonal variations should be more sensitive, not less sensitive. Not to mention a small but welcome boost in MP.

I'm honestly on the fence about it. If it does end up becoming a reality I might get one as an exercise in shooting black and white. Currently 99% of my work is color, it would be nice to force my hand at black and white photography.
    But then again, I did just invest in the S-system, so the money might go to some S-lenses or perhaps upgrading to an S-007 if it feels right.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can see a nice video feature with the CMOS chip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek
    I frankly don't remember discussing a sub $3000 used MM, but if you say so OK.

Since I am currently without an MM, I might consider a new one, but right now do not plan on being an early adopter.

Post Thanks / Like

Been missing the MM, but one with the body and features of the M240 would certainly pique my interest. Would have to unload some gear though... And I don't want to get rid of the M240 to get an MM. Already made that mistake once.

Post Thanks / Like

I am. Have sold my MM, and waiting. Looking forward to better RF, more quiet shutter, no sensor corrosion, maybe a little better ISO
    - ErlingMM

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If Leica made a standard production M Edition 60 type body (in black paint or black chrome, please) with a B&W only sensor in it for the same price as an M typ 240, I'd be at B&H with my finger over the buy button in five seconds flat.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be moving on from MM but am not sure about the anticipated CMOS replacement. I sold my M9s before the used price drop and began using an MM. But I'll be selling it or trading it in on a next-generation body, maybe Leica or maybe Sony. That's mainly because of what happened yesterday:

I was going to clean a friend's M9-P sensor with an Arctic Butterfly, but it showed the array of white spots that are signs of sensor corrosion. And this is sunny / droughty CA, without high humidity. I didn't want to wet-clean it before a Leica dealer could inspect it. This has scared me away from the M9/M9-P/MM sensor and the drag of possible sensor replacement.

My guess is that Sony will win over a CMOS MM for me. I've been looking at other people's tests and have done a pretty careful one of my own, using a MATE @ 28mm on my MM and on a borrowed A7r body. I don't print larger than 17" rolls; and at that size, with Leica lenses, there wasn't a significant difference in image quality between MM files and A7r BW conversions. So I believe a high-res Sony without shutter shake would fit my needs for both BW and color. (I've been using an A7 for occasional color and get along pretty well with it.)

My loyalty at a this point is to Leica lenses, but not necessarily Leica bodies.

Kirk
    Last edited by thompsonkirk; 25th April 2015 at 10:20.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post

My guess is that Sony will win over a CMOS MM for me. ...

Kirk
    Well, seems it doesn't even win over the current CCD-based:
    http://thephotofundamentalist.com/?p=1938
    - ErlingMM

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's one of the reviews I'd considered. If you read it in its entirety, it puts the current MM and current A7r in a dead heat.

I specified the conditions under which I saw no significant difference: Leica lenses (to be exact, WATE and MATE) and prints on 17" rolls, which means 15x22.5" largest.

IMO it ain't nothin' but pixel-peepin', beyond that.

Kirk

PS, I'd agree with Godfrey, except that I need to see what I've shot on an LCD. I shoot mostly WA landscapes, and with external finders it's pretty wild guesswork as to what will appear at the edge of the frame. (With MM, it's like turning pre-visualization backward, into post-visualization. )

For this reason I'd appreciate a 240 EVF, but the Sony LCD would allow even better pre-viz.
    Last edited by thompsonkirk; 25th April 2015 at 12:37. Reason: PS

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had the Sony A7 for over a year's worth of shooting and bought the M-P typ 240 when my M9 needed a new sensor.

The A7 produces very good results with most of my Leica R lenses, and only works consistently well with a few of my Leica M lenses (mostly 40mm and up). No, I don't own WATE or MATE ... they should do better as they are more similar to SLR lenses in optical design. But overall, right from the beginning, I found the A7 to be a clunky camera to work with. I played with an A7II at the shop last week; that hasn't changed.

I had a love/tolerate relationship with the M9. It produced better photos with a larger range of my M-mount lenses than the A7 (there were still a couple it wasn't happy with, the GXR did better with those due to its smaller format sensor) but I never liked the feel of its controls or the sluggish shutter recock and sound. The old four-way controller and thumb dial was awkward too. I nearly sold it a few times.

When it needed a sensor, I took the M-P upgrade option thinking it was economically the best thing to do, even though I wasn't really fond of the notion of having to spend another $4000 at that moment. But I'm very glad I did: the M-P is slick, not sluggish, sounds great, is much more comfortable in my hands, and produces the results I want. There's something about its files that I cannot get out of the A7 files, despite that the A7 has a stop or two more sensitivity.

(I did solve my wide lens problem ... Sold my Color Skopar 21/4 and Ultron 28/2 for an Elmar-M 24/3.8 ASPH. Satori! Also have been adapting my Nikkor 18mm and Elmarit-R 19mm to the M-P. They're too wide for me most of the time, and both do quite well on the M-P sensor. )

I've completely stopped using the A7 now. It's going up for sale.

For a B&W only camera, I would be in love with an M-P MM, but I think I'd love an "M Edition 60" design MM even more. An M digital camera stripped to the barest essentials and focused on B&W photography ... I don't need an LCD for review, I turn that off anyway, I just need to set exposure and make photographs. I wouldn't care if it didn't even make JPEGs. Just a way to set control parameters (date, time, format cards, etc) is enough.

Do it, Leica! ;-)

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 25th April 2015 at 16:15.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I doubt I'd overextend myself for a MM CMOS replacement either. I've been getting on well with the current MM since I got it, and it serves its purpose brilliantly. Nothing to do with CCD verses CMOS, but more about getting full value out of the King's ransom already paid the difference would mostly be big money spent on a MM CMOS to accomplish little that I need or want for my B&W rangefinder work.

I have a A7R and excellent M adapter, but it isn't a rangefinder.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    If Leica made a standard production M Edition 60 type body (in black paint or black chrome, please) with a B&W only sensor in it for the same price as an M typ 240, I'd be at B&H with my finger over the buy button in five seconds flat.

G
    I asked Leica for an M60 (brass) w/black paint and no SE lens, and was told that it wasn't going to happen

They also denied my request for real black leather M240P + no engraving.. So I don't know what's up with them. Especially because I passed by the store yesterday and they have a pink leather M240P Chrom and a red leather M240P black for sale at the same as buying a standard M240P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erlingmm View Post
    Well, seems it doesn't even win over the current CCD-based:
    http://thephotofundamentalist.com/?p=1938
    Wouldn't the 50APO have been a more appropriate lens to test with?

Post Thanks / Like

aDam007, the colors were just one part of the equation. Also there were other things, which I can't really put my fingers on.. perhaps the way focus areas or tones transition or something like that. But anyway, looking at my M9 photos vs M240 - I should have kept the M9.

Other things I would say was the weight. Though M240 didn't feel heavy as such, but it was heavier. Then the added mp - The M9 was perfectly fine for me, the extras just maybe it harder to avoid camera shake. No need for 24mp and definitely not for the almost 100g added bulk.

Where M240 had benefits was the rear wheel lcd, battery & shutter sound.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    aDam007, the colors were just one part of the equation. Also there were other things, which I can't really put my fingers on.. perhaps the way focus areas or tones transition or something like that. But anyway, looking at my M9 photos vs M240 - I should have kept the M9.

Other things I would say was the weight. Though M240 didn't feel heavy as such, but it was heavier. Then the added mp - The M9 was perfectly fine for me, the extras just maybe it harder to avoid camera shake. No need for 24mp and definitely not for the almost 100g added bulk.

Where M240 had benefits was the rear wheel lcd, battery & shutter sound.
    It's funny how perceptions differ.

When I compare my M9 raw files to the M-P raw files, I MUCH prefer the M-P files. And the M-P feels slimmer and lighter in my hands, even though it's nominally 2oz heavier than the M9 and has a 1mm deeper baseplate from front to rear.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For people like me who stepped up to the M 240 it would be nice to have a MM with same battery and handling.
    I do however ask myself - how much I would gain compared to images from the M 240 converted to b&w.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    For people like me who stepped up to the M 240 it would be nice to have a MM with same battery and handling.
    I do however ask myself - how much I would gain compared to images from the M 240 converted to b&w.
    I agree ... the M-P set to B&W with orange filter produces lovely B&W right out of the camera, and the raw files render to B&W beautifully. That's why I'd want the "special" M edition 60 design body.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I agree ... the M-P set to B&W with orange filter produces lovely B&W right out of the camera, and the raw files render to B&W beautifully. That's why I'd want the "special" M edition 60 design body.

G
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have bought the current MM, but I just didn't like the M9 body. I already set aside the funds for an M240 based MM. I'm in, no question.

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny how perceptions differ.

When I compare my M9 raw files to the M-P raw files, I MUCH prefer the M-P files. And the M-P feels slimmer and lighter in my hands, even though it's nominally 2oz heavier than the M9 and has a 1mm deeper baseplate from front to rear.

G
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat as Godfrey. I feel the M240 is more comfortable in the hand. And I get on a lot better with the M240 files then the M9 files.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly interested in the new MM but I would also love the have the CCD based original. Certainly the ISO and dynamic range will be a stop or two better than the CCD MM, but who knows if it will have the same kind of sharpness, and pop.

Post Thanks / Like

.... it puts the current MM and current A7r in a dead heat.
    Amazing isn't it, 18mp aimed at one target against 36mp scattered over three targets. Which is the benchmark Leica have created in anticipation of the new MM. For the same leap over the standard M240 we'd be looking with a B&W only sensor at about 50mp equivalent resolution if all things are equal, plus increased DR, and an increase is usable ISO to 20,000+. I just wonder if Leica have had their quantum leap, if I need/want it, although I'm on the list as well.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek
    I have waited for this new MM long enough!!! If they do not ship by mid-May I will toss it in!

Post Thanks / Like

Leica heard you!

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    i would definitely consider a $3000 USD MM, it can share all the accessories with my M9
    At $3000 I'd buy a spare M Monochrom as well. The original MM remains my favorite camera. I like it so much that I just bought an M-E as a color companion instead of an M240.
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain

Post Thanks / Like

Ii suppose I've missed what everyone else might know already:

When are they likely to be available?

I'm on my dealer's list but would like to read and see more about CMOS tonal renderings and the 12/14 bit issue.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on my dealer's list but would like to read and see more about CMOS tonal renderings and the 12/14 bit issue.

Kirk
    As I understand it, this sort of chip (when made by Sony) delivers 14 bits of output per pixel, but the supplier that Leica works with uses a 12 bit ADC. The top 2 bits were never available, and the bottom two bits are just noise anyway. I've looked at several reviews that show much cleaner shadow detail in the M246 without any sacrifice of highlight room, so I think Leica did the right thing. 12 bits means that they can get four pixels' output into 6Bytes. And the files are constant size, apparently, so this shouldn't have been a surprise.

scott

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i think it would be in all of our best interest if the re-sale of the original MM stayed higher than 3k, more like 60% of new ($4,500) would make me happier. the trend of massive re-sale reduction when a new model comes out is disturbing when the items are almost $8k and would have to impact new sales negatively.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The price fixing part from the manufacturers is the major factor. This is huge with Sony. Used market is free market that the camera companies have little control over.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see many except for early adopters accepting $3000 for their used Monochroms. $4500 or so is where I guess the dust will settle, with condition and extras pushing that up or down and maybe a bit of a premium on the silver chrome bodies.
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speculative wishful thinking IMO.

I can also wish for a low milage S2P in mint condition for $3K so I can buy a back-up.

I'd never sell my mint MM for $3,000 then turn around and drop $7K+ on this new one no matter how nice it may be.

My current monochrome has been a fine photographic tool, and this new camera doesn't change that.

Besides, other priorities are on the horizon.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Speculative wishful thinking IMO.

I can also wish for a low milage S2P in mint condition for $3K so I can buy a back-up.

I'd never sell my mint MM for $3,000 then turn around and drop $7K+ on this new one no matter how nice it may be.

My current monochrome has been a fine photographic tool, and this new camera doesn't change that.

Besides, other priorities are on the horizon.

- Marc
    I'm still exploring my current MM and after two years of fairly intensive use am convinced that it will continue to challenge and delight me for at least four or five years more, probably far more than that so long as it works.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek
    It seems from what others report that many M9M users are taking up Leica on their trade up program. Now with a little patience after Leica has refurbished these "older" M9M, they will begin to flood the market with M9M to as many dealers as they can get to take them.
    I saw a used silver M9M on Popflash eBay website for $4500.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lou, AFAIC, it is MM. Not MM9, M9M, etc. The MM2 gets some number, officiially.

We shall see how things go. As I see it, Leica are positioned precariously, regardless what the boutique prices may suggest, as of now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A number of folks have spoke/written so strongly about their experiences with the MM that I did pick one up at the wonderful reduced price they are currently offering. Not concerned if the sensor develops an issue in the upcoming years since I have full faith that Leica will stand by the product as they have with the M9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    A number of folks have spoke/written so strongly about their experiences with the MM that I did pick one up at the wonderful reduced price they are currently offering. Not concerned if the sensor develops an issue in the upcoming years since I have full faith that Leica will stand by the product as they have with the M9.
    Congrats. Nice camera/superb images. Just be careful taking it kayaking-you know humidity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    You will LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Best camera I've ever used.