The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do you like this one?

• Thread starter Cancelledreality
  • Start date
C

Cancelledreality

When looking on flickr, I like a lot of photography by Japanese photographers, like Tommy Oshima. They have there own style, which is very different from 'western' photography.

Sunday I made this photo of a couple in a bar, which is little like that Japanese style.
When I shot it I liked it very much but now, after reviewing it on a big screen, I like it much less.

I still like the light and colours in it, but nothing is in focus. It would better if the beer or the chair was in focus.

What do guys think?

kweide

just my two cents:

The beer at least and the chair in fokus and the persons hands, that would give the pic a special touch. And let the color of the beer gloom...

T

TimF

I like it, the lack of sharp focus maybe gives it a quality that wouldn't otherwise be there? The rather ugly background through the window is perhaps the spoiler.

As HCB said, focus is a bourgeois concept. :D

ecliffordsmith

Hi Hans,

I do like it. I can see what you mean about possiby having the beer in focus but judging by your perspective to move the focus point to the beer would have increased the DOF a lot and the nice soft mood would be lost.

helenhill

It sets a Mood... Dreamy
I do agree having the Beer spot on Crisp with the rest all Falloff would be Lovely but the next Time...:)

I too like Tommy Oshima's pixs
another person on Flickr You might Lilke is 'Junku-newcleus I adore his high Contrast Moody noirish B&W shots

C

Cancelledreality

Thank you all. It makes me feel better about this shot. :)

Helen, I will checkout Junku, thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The issue is my eye goes to nowhere in it. To me it needs some focal point for your eye to go. If you close your eyes and quickly look at it first your eye looks for a focal point if none is there than it looks for the lightest part which in this case is outside but the third choice is the beer glass. So as the eye see's it you lost it on two counts than defaulted to the beer. If the background was dark than it may work better.

BTW your eye is much faster than the brain can process.

hdrmd

The pole growing out of the head of the man on the left distracts me a great deal. The mood is interesting; perhaps a couple steps either way would have helped. Just an opinion, of course. Regards. DR

C

Cancelledreality

Thanks again to all replies. I come there often, so Iwill have many opportunities to retry this shot :D