The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New Monochrom is here

V

Vivek

Pardon my ignorance. Is there a product announcement anywhere with specifications?

Also, where I can buy a 28mm Summilux?

V

Vivek

Thanks, Jono. :)

(I posted there asking him to fix the write up. Disappointingly, not much relevant information there.)

bradhusick

I guessed the new pricing correctly! Do I win one?

Looking at the first set of comparison images, I have to say I am happy with my original (silver) monochrom. I think the images are slightly more "filmic" if that's a word. Purely subjective, but the beautiful subtle noise at ISO 3200 and higher makes the images more film-like in my eye. I also don't shoot video except on video cameras, so no gain there.

V

Vivek

is this more useful:
Leica US

. . or can I answer any questions?
Thanks, Jono (for being open to Qs. Was not sure based on the article. )! :)

Is Elliot's cover(glass), less prone to pitting than Henri's? That is the US $7450 question.

animefx

Your photos with this new M Monochrom are outstanding Jono. I am very impressed with these photos as well as the ones seen on Leica's blog. The tonality is top notch and the sharpness might even match the original Monochrom. The better ISO is what we all theorized would be true and I'm not disappointed.

One question though... Are we able to move around the entire frame during live view yet or is it still limited to the center area like the M240? This is still very strange why Leica doesn't allow us to move around the entire frame during live view.

jonoslack

Is Elliot's cover(glass), less prone to pitting than Henri's? That is the US $7450 question.
HI There Vivek
It's completely different - so I'm almost certain that it's not prone at all - Certainly, nobody at Leica is worried about it!

jonoslack

Your photos with this new M Monochrom are outstanding Jono. I am very impressed with these photos as well as the ones seen on Leica's blog. The tonality is top notch and the sharpness might even match the original Monochrom. The better ISO is what we all theorized would be true and I'm not disappointed.

One question though... Are we able to move around the entire frame during live view yet or is it still limited to the center area like the M240? This is still very strange why Leica doesn't allow us to move around the entire frame during live view.
HI there
Thanks for the kind words - as for the focus assist, it's same old same old I'm afraid (actually, I don't really mind that much, but I understand that others do!)

all the best

Godfrey

Hmm. Maybe I should just order one and not worry too much about it. But there's the M Edition 60 that I've been jonesing for...

Ach, the trivial things that consume our attention.

G

V

Vivek

HI There Vivek
It's completely different - so I'm almost certain that it's not prone at all - Certainly, nobody at Leica is worried about it!
Thanks, Jono. Let us hope so. :)

I am happy that it is there. There is always a possibility I might want one down the road. :)

algrove

I'll tell you after the 9th when I get my first one.

aDam007

Nice...

The one thing that'll prevent me from buying one: "ISO 320 to ISO 25000, adjustable in 1/3 ISO increments, choice of automatic control or manual setting."

I know it sounds stupid, but I deal in manual exposure only, and I can't think in anything but full iso stops. One of the things that always bothered me about the M9/MM.

Though just out of curiosity, highlight recovery is still an issue, correct? So how's the shadow recovery?

animefx

Highlight recovery will still be an issue as there are no other color channels to extrapolate data from, if the highlights are clipped there is no recovering.

Shadow data on the other hand I would like to know how much can be lifted vs. the original M Monochrom. It should be as good or better since the ISO is much cleaner at higher ISO, but this is just a guess.

Nice...

The one thing that'll prevent me from buying one: "ISO 320 to ISO 25000, adjustable in 1/3 ISO increments, choice of automatic control or manual setting."

I know it sounds stupid, but I deal in manual exposure only, and I can't think in anything but full iso stops. One of the things that always bothered me about the M9/MM.

Though just out of curiosity, highlight recovery is still an issue, correct? So how's the shadow recovery?

Godfrey

So the one thing that prevents you from buying what appears to be a great camera is that it offers you ISO 320, 400, 512, 640, etc, rather than 320, 640, 1280, etc? And that it offers you automatic ISO control?

That seems pretty crazy to me. Of all the features that might get in my way, being able to select ISOs on a scale with grain of less than 1 EV isn't one of them, and if I don't want to use AutoISO, I just don't use it. Why does it bother you so much? Do you never set an aperture between the marked 1-stop increments?

Just trying to figure out what I'm missing in your comment...

G