The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New Monochrom - a fine report

V

Vivek

Sorry, i did not find it interesting (just tried follwing your link on othe other thread). Way too much :talk028: and boring shots comparing M240, ending with a shot of some stereo rig. :sleep006:

lambert

Sorry, i did not find it interesting (just tried follwing your link on othe other thread). Way too much :talk028: and boring shots comparing M240, ending with a shot of some stereo rig. :sleep006:
I agree. Soporific review. And what's an MM9 ??

jonoslack

Fair does - each to his own - I find him funny, fun and informative. . . . his next part will be pictures.

anGy

If I remember well some compared the MM (M9) resolution to be equivalent to 30mp sensors thanks to the lack of bayer filter.
My own quick comparaison between the MM and M240 confirmed a bit more resolution in the MM, to my eyes at least (same shots, same lens, print to the same size with MM file upsized, result= better apparent resolution from the MM).
So I'm a bit surprised that the M246 and M240 show the same apparent resolution in this review. I suppose the crops are 100%.
So isn't it a bit surprising ?
Isn't the M246 supposed to give something like a 40mp equivalent sensor resolution ?

Godfrey

If I remember well some compared the MM (M9) resolution to be equivalent to 30mp sensors thanks to the lack of bayer filter.
My own quick comparaison between the MM and M240 confirmed a bit more resolution in the MM, to my eyes at least (same shots, same lens, print to the same size with MM file upsized, result= better apparent resolution from the MM).
So I'm a bit surprised that the M246 and M240 show the same apparent resolution in this review. I suppose the crops are 100%.
So isn't it a bit surprising ?
Isn't the M246 supposed to give something like a 40mp equivalent sensor resolution ?
My take on this is that when there's enough light to use the base sensitivity and sufficient exposure is given to the sensor, the difference between a gamma-corrected Bayer sensor and a monochrome sensor is small enough that it takes instrumentation to really see a difference. The errors incorporated through the interpolation process don't change the effective perceptual resolution by much.

However, when the sensitivity needs to be higher, the different sensitivities at the sensor due to red, green, and blue filtration become more apparent and the gamma interpolation process incorporates greater error. That's when the advantage of the monochrome sensor for detailing and dynamic range become visible to the eye.

So "some compared the MM (M9) resolution to be equivalent to 30mp sensors" might be a reasonable description of the difference if the ISO were comparing detail retention at, say, ISO 1600 between M9 and MM9.

I think Egor's article shows this behavior well in his (boring to some) test photos:
http://www.ultrasomething.com/photography/2015/04/sensors-and-sensibility/

G

Biglou

I read a technical paper by Zeiss (called special_mtf_02.pdf and is freely availiable) that explains how to interpret mtf curves.

This is a quote:

" Doubling the number of pixels improves the transfer function even if the sensor resolution is better than the resolution of the lens.

The curve for the poor lens on the 24 MP sensor is almost as good as the curve of the good lens with the 12 MP sensor.

We expect differences between 12 and 24 MP to be visible but we also see that they should not be overestimated (see Comparison 4). The differences are not as large as the numbers 12 and 24 may suggest. "

It is not surprising that the resolution differences between MM (old) and MM new are not huge.
Maybe 50mp would show a noticeable difference provided the per pixel quality is the same.
What surprises me more is that testers did not find much difference in resolution between M240 and MM new.
The difference between M9 and MM old was evidently largely in favor of MM.

So other factors must also play a role.

jerome_m

Just a quick note about the "crashed library" part. If this happen, either use time machine to restore a previous version or ctrl-click the library file (it is actually a "package", that is a directory presenting itself as a file) and choose "show package content". Then you'll see the files in the library "package". Presumably, all what is needed is to delete the offending file in the "masters" directory.

algrove

I think reading all the reviews is worth it and then one can piece together what one wants to piece together and ignore the rest.

Me, I have ignored my better judgement and ordered one a long, long time ago.

anGy

Or maybe the apo lens used during the test is the limiting factor despite it's legendary reputation :bugeyes: (no I can't believe that and much prefer the interpretation of Godfrey......).

Biglou

I already have a monochrom (old) that the new one could easily beat for concerts, theater, lower shutter noise, better high iso, handles R telephotos and maybe more.
Unfortunately for Leica i happen to like color for those events, so i pass, my monochrom is perfect for my use and i don't need video.
The next M something with color and a better EVF on the contrary will certainly interest me and more.

rayyan

Jono, I much prefer your report than that other fella's:)

As usual, an excellent precise report with Jono images to make us want for more.

Our best regards to Scarlett and her family.

p.s. Too rich for my budget and a new RF is too much for my eyes.