Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leica Q anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Leica Q anyone?

Now ther are some really interesting rumors going around about Leica Q /codename: Hemingway.

What do people think? FF M240 sensor, compact body, 28/1.7 lens. Sounds interesting.. I'd jump on it immediately, if it were M246 internals and they'd made it monochrome!

Alternatively a 50mm could cause severe GAS and immediate ordering..

But, right now I'm waiting for updates to Jono's homepage

//Juha
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica Q anyone?

And just to add a bit.. Hemingway apparently used a Leica IIIf with a 50mm..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Mmhh,
    but what would be the advantage over a M240 with a prime (or even better: 2or 3 prime lenses)?
    Of course I am interested to see if and what comes. I hope it would have a nice, simple and intuitive user interface.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This would be a very useful camera (but for the code name which I am sure is far better than one of Soviet era numbering schemes ).

Personally, I am waiting for that Sony RX2 with a 35/1.8 lens based on a curved sensor.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Mmhh,
    but what would be the advantage over a M240 with a prime (or even better: 2or 3 prime lenses)?
    Of course I am interested to see if and what comes. I hope it would have a nice, simple and intuitive user interface.
    More compact, light weight, autofocus, no rangefinder.. Very different product & definitely very usefull.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    More compact, light weight, autofocus, no rangefinder.. Very different product & definitely very usefull.
    i might change my mind in the future. But I sold the RX1 because I found it too close to the M in size and prefered the M because of the optical viewfinder and the ability to use different focal lengths.

On the other side we all know the charme of a fixed focal length camera and AF can be usedull for certain subjects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the street the RX-1 saved me many times over even when carrying an M240 or M-P.

Paratom, you seem to be a Leica fan in a big way, what is the REAL word on this Q? Will it have uncompressed dng's?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an article about this camera - http://lavidaleica.com/content/future-leica-m-cometh

The following passage from the article decidedly does NOT strike me as good news in the least:
    "...Now we get into the grey area between "good" and "bad" news and it depends entirely on how you choose to look at it. Sort of like the glass being half full or half empty. One way the size will be reduced is the end of the traditional Messsucher (optical rangefinder after which the Leica M is named) as we know it. Why? It's large, heavy, complex and sensitive to alignment and finally, expensive - costing $750 alone. It will still have an optical component (ruling out an EVF) but will now essentially be digital, similar to the Konost (link is external) camera and its digital rangefinder (link is external) at the least - or a hybrid like the Fujifilm X-Pro1 and X100 at best. ..."
    If the current rangefinder mechanism is scrapped in favor of a digital rangefinder mechanism, the camera ceases to be a Leica M camera in my view. I would have exactly zero interest in such a camera and I seriously doubt that I would be the only M camera connoisseur who would be of that outlook.

"It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Post Thanks / Like

Abandoning real rangefinder sent shivers down my spine. It's ok not to have it in compacts, but taking it out of the M kills the product line. Made me want to buy film MP the very second I saw that LVL article!

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

The lavida website is very good at creating FUD and making up 'news' while spreading the wrong info in order to create traffic.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by herrbarnack View Post
    Here is an article about this camera - http://lavidaleica.com/content/future-leica-m-cometh

The following passage from the article decidedly does NOT strike me as good news in the least:

If the current rangefinder mechanism is scrapped in favor of a digital rangefinder mechanism, the camera ceases to be a Leica M camera in my view. I would have exactly zero interest in such a camera and I seriously doubt that I would be the only M camera connoisseur who would be of that outlook.
    I'm with Peter here LaVida Leica seem to me to be interesting in that they make predictions (usually wrong) . . . and then later on say they got it right - it's probably easier to see this when you actually know about what they're talking about.

Whatever the truth about the Q, I don't believe for one second that the Rangefinder is threatened - not for one second.

Just this guy you know
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Whatever the truth about the Q, I don't believe for one second that the Rangefinder is threatened - not for one second.
    I would be quite surprised if they would remove it, after all that's the one core element that makes messuchercamera different. Remove it and you're just another mirrorless camera.

//Juha

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, the Q , "Hemingway", is not a fixed lens compact but an interchangeable lens camera?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    So, the Q , "Hemingway", is not a fixed lens compact but an interchangeable lens camera?
    No, Q is fixed lens etc.. but there was also reference to future M, which allegedly would be published later this year and would be missing traditional rangefinder and have some sort of electrical rangefinder instead.

The Q info might be and hopefully is correct. Likewise hopefully the future M info is 100% wrong.

//Juha

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hi Vivek
    I wasn't talking about the Q I was talking about the M - I thought that people were worried about the end of the rangefinder - Of course I have no idea whether the Q also has a rangefinder, or whether it's a fixed lens compact either. I assume it exists because of the registering of the name. . . but LaVida Leica's predictions have been a bit odd in the past

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, Q is fixed lens etc.. but there was also reference to future M, which allegedly would be published later this year and would be missing traditional rangefinder and have some sort of electrical rangefinder instead.

The Q info might be and hopefully is correct. Likewise hopefully the future M info is 100% wrong.

//Juha
    HI Juha
    no idea about the Q but I'm as sure as I can be that the speculation about the M is wrong.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, Thanks.

I could not figure out that Lavia site and its purpose. I am not smart, mind you!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    On the street the RX-1 saved me many times over even when carrying an M240 or M-P.

Paratom, you seem to be a Leica fan in a big way, what is the REAL word on this Q? Will it have uncompressed dng's?
    I would not argue that I do like most of the Leica products, but not because its Leica. I like them because they work good for me.

In case of RX1 vs the M : as soon as I put it in a pocket the size difference between the RX1+EVF and the M with a 35 Summicron or Summarit can be neglected.
    I also do prefer optical viewfinders (and fully understand some people prefer EVF).
    So I did not see any benefit for me to keep the RX1. Has nothing to do with fanboying.

The smaller size is also the reason why I kept the X2 instead the newer X, because the X2 slips in a pocket of a jacket, while the new X doesn't have a big size advantage over the M.

IMO new X and a Q (if the rumour is true) and RX1 is mainly interesting for people who do not own an M, or just use 35mm lens. In this case those cameras offers nearly (or with AF even more) the same like the M+35mm prime but for a considerably lower amount of money.

No question the RX1 is an excellent camera, for me just too much overlap with the M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So let me better understand this thread. IS it a fact that the Q was manufactured by an article in LaVidaLeica?

Post Thanks / Like

started here > http://digicame-info.com/2015/03/leica-q-typ-116.html

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    So let me better understand this thread. IS it a fact that the Q was manufactured by an article in LaVidaLeica?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I remember seeing that and thought it just another Panasonic rebadge as a Leica.

June is just around the corner so let's see if it's true-the way it is currently depicted. I see then that La Vida Leica (VLV) has a hustler here that feeds us LVL posts in order to keep his traffic up as was mentioned above somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Gents, let's try and keep this thread still about this, right now, imaginary Leica Q. I originally started this thread so people could discuss about the Q and what they think about what's been pushed out to internet hype so far.. even if someone would have little more info and/or educated quesses about it.

People clearly have very strong opinions about another website. Personally people can think what they like about it, but let's keep it outside this thread.

//Juha

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Juha
    Good thinking - the trouble is that we don't have anything else to say (at least, I don't!)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's all quite vague & pure speculation atm. And for your part, I fully understand that even if you would know - you couldn't tell. Telling would stop the testing and deprive us from the future reports..

Anyway, I found the speculated Q interesting and it's fun to speculate on these things. In the end we usually see who had the best guess :-)

//Juha

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, it's all quite vague & pure speculation atm. And for your part, I fully understand that even if you would know - you couldn't tell. Telling would stop the testing and deprive us from the future reports..
    Of course not . . . but I can have a little gentle fun stimulating the anticipation! Perhaps anticipation is the best bit? How much less exciting it would be if they had a Loch Ness Monster in the zoo? Reality is so often an anti-climax . . . . . . but not ALWAYS

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Peter here LaVida Leica seem to me to be interesting in that they make predictions (usually wrong) . . . and then later on say they got it right - it's probably easier to see this when you actually know about what they're talking about.

After further reflection, I would have to agree. To do away with the rangefinder mechanism would be a tragic and possibly catastrophic miscalculation on Leica's part.

Why do people feel the need to make up this kind of hogwash??

"It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Why do people feel the need to make up this kind of hogwash?"

For page hits?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by herrbarnack View Post
    After further reflection, I would have to agree. To do away with the rangefinder mechanism would be a tragic and possibly catastrophic miscalculation on Leica's part.

Why do people feel the need to make up this kind of hogwash??
    A few possible reasons.

1) said individual hasn't owned an RF camera.
    2) said individual isn't good at using an RF camera.
    3) said individual finds joy in his EVF camera, and wants everyone to jump on board (borg mentality).

A better solution would be for Leica to make a M RF and a C digital-RF.
    Last edited by aDam007; 9th May 2015 at 03:00.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets assume the rumor about the “demise of the traditional Leica rangefinder “ could be correct . Pretty good logic if and this is the BIG question .....an electronic or digital rangefinder could be developed to replace it .

First it is a very big cost item in the Leica M . Second ..it is source of frequent warranty (maintenance ) requests (based on more personal experience than you want to here about). Third ..its a major factor in the size of the M body and constrains the design of new models .

Personally I don t want it to change .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gents, let's try and keep this thread still about this, right now, imaginary Leica Q. I originally started this thread so people could discuss about the Q and what they think about what's been pushed out to internet hype so far.. even if someone would have little more info and/or educated quesses about it.
    The only information I've seen about the Q suggests that it is something akin to the Sony RX-1: a full-frame, fixed lens camera made by Leica with a Summilux-quality 28mm f/1.7 lens and the same sensor used in the M typ 240 line. Given how much I enjoy the Leica X typ 113, and how many good photos I seem to get from it, I'm sure it will be quite a nice camera. It will be good also if they keep compatibility with the EVF, and maybe battery compatibility with the M.

Would I buy one? I'm not sure. I already have the X ... It's my most common choice of a grab-n-go camera for when I want to carry as little as possible. The proposed Q above would offer quality on par with the M-P along with more automation and closer focusing, but the X typ 113 is there already (a little down on pixel resolution, up on sensitivity). I don't really need another fixed lens camera, although an X with a 50mm f/1.4 FoV lens (not 28mm) would be interesting to me at some level.

It will be interesting to see what the Q turns out to be.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Lets assume the rumor about the “demise of the traditional Leica rangefinder “ could be correct . Pretty good logic if and this is the BIG question .....an electronic or digital rangefinder could be developed to replace it .

First it is a very big cost item in the Leica M . Second ..it is source of frequent warranty (maintenance ) requests (based on more personal experience than you want to here about). Third ..its a major factor in the size of the M body and constrains the design of new models .

I find having the traditional coupled-optomechanical RF combined with Live View and EVF in the current M-P to be an almost ideal combination for my main working camera using lenses from ultra wide to short telephoto. And for longer lenses the fully image stabilized mirrorless solution like the Olympus E-M1 *almost* completely edges out the desirability of an optical SLR (but not quite, yet).

So I could see the notion of a fully D-M minus the optical viewfinder system having value as a modern camera line with a more compact body, IBIS, automation as desired, compatibility for M-mount lenses, a range of new longer lenses, etc. Such a camera wouldn't replace the current M, it complements it—just as the E-M1 I'm using now complements the M-P beautifully.

I'm very open to Leica producing interesting and innovative new cameras. I just prefer that they keep going with the M line as well. It's traditional values are worth having ... Now, about that production M Edition 60 with typ 246 sensor, hmmmm? ]'-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why does a new camera have to replace the M as we know it?

Drop the RF, add a good EVF only VF, keep the rest of the M, the way it is. Maybe that's not enough of a change to sell it in big enough numbers to keep the bean counters happy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Roger
    Why should we assume that the rumour could be correct?
    Leica have just re-designed the rangefinder for the M240 (better tolerances, ability to adjust by machine etc.) Sure, the rangefinder needs re-adjusting sometimes, but it won't take up much time in the workshop!

Seriously, in talks with lots of people at Leica I've not heard a single suggestion that this might be the case . . .not one.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me more like a compact companion model to the M, like the old CL back in the day. No rangefinder, but full-frame and compatible with M lenses, and perhaps T lenses as well.

I wouldn't buy it, but I bet many would. MAt around $4K, it would be the ultimate 2nd body.
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We are all guessing here, but now I am beginning to think it is 24MP. built-in EVF, fixed lens like maybe the 28 that was mentioned. If it has a clip-on EVF, my interest wains since I have an RX-1 and that's what it would be like except with a red dot and much higher price point.

Post Thanks / Like

HI Roger
    Why should we assume that the rumour could be correct?
    Leica have just re-designed the rangefinder for the M240 (better tolerances, ability to adjust by machine etc.) Sure, the rangefinder needs re-adjusting sometimes, but it won't take up much time in the workshop!

Seriously, in talks with lots of people at Leica I've not heard a single suggestion that this might be the case . . .not one.

all the best
    Jono

I am the last person to desire a change to the Leica M rangefinder ...having spent my entire photographic life trying to master it . So I hope your instincts are correct .

Leica has not been immune to the competition from lower cost technologies ..EVIL ! The cost of the RF is substantial and it does require maintenance . As an owner of quite a few M bodies ...I still dislike the lost availability when I send in a body for adjustment . The size of the M body has grown enough to notice and cost is beyond many that admire the camera .

So I am sure Leica has considered the benefits of an digital rangefinder .....

But ....they know messing with the M isn t in their best interests .....so who knows .

Roger

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono

I am the last person to desire a change to the Leica M rangefinder ...having spent my entire photographic life trying to master it . So I hope your instincts are correct .

Leica has not been immune to the competition from lower cost technologies ..EVIL ! The cost of the RF is substantial and it does require maintenance . As an owner of quite a few M bodies ...I still dislike the lost availability when I send in a body for adjustment . The size of the M body has grown enough to notice and cost is beyond many that admire the camera .

So I am sure Leica has considered the benefits of an digital rangefinder .....

But ....they know messing with the M isn t in their best interests .....so who knows .

Roger
    HI Roger
    Of course, designing a digital rangefinder is a contradiction in terms .

But seriously, even if they were to design an EVF based full frame camera which played well with M lenses, it still wouldn't devalue the optical rangefinder, it's the very centre of their business and their revival. It really doesn't have to be one thing or the other does it?

As for who knows? - well, I think I know! I just think that in all the discussions I've had with them that any implication of the death of the rangefinder would have surfaced (in which case I couldn't talk about it) , but it really hasn't (I'm saying this on the basis that I can talk about something I haven't heard anything about )

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, a swivel LCD for such a camera would be fantastic!

No need for sapphire glass for protection as the LCD can be folded back. Cheaper and immensely useful.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not sure Leica strategy for camera sales has ever revolved around price. I doubt Leica has ever been interested in the consumer market. Since the luxury goods market is really healthy--who has money except rich people--I think Leica has put itself in a great place. Leica is NOT competing against Nikon, Cannon, Olympus, or another company. There is no reason to compete with the technology of those other companies either.

As far as the rangefinder, that is what Leica makes. That is what put it on the map and keeps it there. They cannot but make M cameras. They can make other types of camera, but they are just a sideline.

What might be interesting to see if the cache of the rangefinder is a generational thing. Will millennials and the generation following them still think of photography in terms of the rangefinder? Who knows. Right now, the image of the rangefinder still has value. But it is built on historical value. Could the historical connection to the rangefinder as a tool to a specific genre of photography fade and Leica fade with it? Not sure, but it would be sad to see the optical rangefinder disappear altogether, even though I would probably never own a Leica.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Leica T monoblock body polishing video is not unlike Nero playing fiddle. Luxury market will not sustain Leica's image in photography but photographs and photographers using them to make those photographs will. You are right that the shape of the M still is iconic and is recognizable.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post

What might be interesting to see if the cache of the rangefinder is a generational thing. Will millennials and the generation following them still think of photography in terms of the rangefinder? Who knows. Right now, the image of the rangefinder still has value. But it is built on historical value. Could the historical connection to the rangefinder as a tool to a specific genre of photography fade and Leica fade with it? Not sure, but it would be sad to see the optical rangefinder disappear altogether, even though I would probably never own a Leica.
    Hi there Will
    Certainly here new professionals are discovering the wonder of the rangefinder. People like Sarah Lee are at least relatively young and have only discovered it since the M9.

I went to a Leica meet group in London last week, and although there were certainly a few old farts like me . . . there were also quite a lot of young photographers.

My feeling is that there is a new generation coming up, and that the wierd ability to see around the picture, together with the lovely lenses is pretty timeless.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jonoslack;640456]HI Roger
    Of course, designing a digital rangefinder is a contradiction in terms .

Jono ....do a google search on “KONOST” and read the section on digital rangefinders . They already have a prototype and it is a digital rangefinder with an Optical Viewfinder . From their statements it does exactly what a optical rangefinder does .

If its digital ...its (1) cheaper (2) easier to adjust and (3) maybe more accurate .

Look at the shape of the camera .....seem familiar ?

Next time you speak with your buddies at Leica ...ask them about it . I am sure it can t be done ...just like they could never make a digital M .

The most impressive thing about a Leica rangefinder ..is the ability to see . I like the quote from Elliot Erwitt (on the Konost website) ...you see the image directly ...the camera just frames it .

There are a ton of Leica M photographers that would love to have an OVF that is easier to focus .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

do a google search on “KONOST” and read the section on digital rangefinders . ...
    If its digital ...its (1) cheaper (2) easier to adjust and (3) maybe more accurate ...
    There are a ton of Leica M photographers that would love to have an OVF that is easier to focus .
    (bolded) That's the hope, anyway. Until one is put into service, it's hard to evaluate.

Walking with the 24mm lens fitted to the M-P, also fitted with the the EVF, I find myself focusing with the RF first as it is the fastest way to get close to the mark. I then use the EVF to make small adjustments, when it seems necessary, and nail critical focus. Often none are necessary.

Switching to the 50 or 90, wide open, the EVF proves a little faster to get close in many cases and adds that extra bit of accuracy for critical focus which is hard to do with an RF. The same proves true with an optical SLR viewfinder.

So, my evaluation is that the optical RF is pretty fast and accurate with short lenses/low magnification subjects where the through-lens imaging systems are much more desirable as effective focal length increases. (This is why the pairing of M-P and E-M1 works so well ... :-)

There is great advantage to having both in the same body, IMO. Exactly how the rangefinder is coupled to the lens (could be mechanical, could be electronic) and implemented (could be optical, could be electronic) is of a lesser concern.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono ....do a google search on “KONOST” and read the section on digital rangefinders . They already have a prototype and it is a digital rangefinder with an Optical Viewfinder . From their statements it does exactly what a optical rangefinder does .

If its digital ...its (1) cheaper (2) easier to adjust and (3) maybe more accurate .

Look at the shape of the camera .....seem familiar ?

Next time you speak with your buddies at Leica ...ask them about it . I am sure it can t be done ...just like they could never make a digital M .

The most impressive thing about a Leica rangefinder ..is the ability to see . I like the quote from Elliot Erwitt (on the Konost website) ...you see the image directly ...the camera just frames it .

HI Roger
    That looks excellent - I should have seen it (but I hadn't).
    I'm impressed, and I'll certainly talk with them at Leica (presumably they've seen it, but I wouldn't guarantee it!).

Thank you for the link.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be QUITE a quality quamerA .....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    The lavida website is very good at creating FUD and making up 'news' while spreading the wrong info in order to create traffic.
    Whoops.. looks like they were spot on. And on top of that, they had a unit for testing..

Now, speaking of the Q: it looks like a winner! There are some really nice features on it: shutter speed, x-sync, builtin evf, ois, fast lens, full frame, even with a 35mm crop it still almost matches x113 resolution, speedy af, great manual af.

LVL and Jono first looks both give it the thumbs up.

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

for those who doesn't have a 28mm summicron lens and want in, then it's a no brainer. buy the Q instead of the lens.

But for those who already have a 28mm...should we buy the Q? or just buy another used M240 body which comes close to the sticker price of the Q?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    for those who doesn't have a 28mm summicron lens and want in, then it's a no brainer. buy the Q instead of the lens.

But for those who already have a 28mm...should we buy the Q? or just buy another used M240 body which comes close to the sticker price of the Q?
    The no-brainer is don't buy a Summicron with a camera permanently glued to it. You'll regret it a few years down the road when the camera tech is obsolete.

I don't mind paying a few K for stellar lenses or for bodies that enable those lenses to capture, but gluing them together to create what is essentially a point and shoot is a bad idea. What a waste.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not sure about that... When RX1 came out, people said sell your 35 lux or cron and get the RX1 instead and now it's buy the Q instead. I think it's still more sensible to buy the lens instead of a fixed lens body. I'm hoping some of the Q-goodness can rub off on that next M iteration.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    The no-brainer is don't buy a Summicron with a camera permanently glued to it. You'll regret it a few years down the road when the camera tech is obsolete. ...
    My Olympus E-1 camera tech is loooong obsolete, but it with the 11-22mm lens still makes photographs that thrill me. Even with all the advances in my other cameras, I still use it.

Just because the tech has become obsolete doesn't mean the camera is useless.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream