The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q anyone?

Now ther are some really interesting rumors going around about Leica Q /codename: Hemingway.

What do people think? FF M240 sensor, compact body, 28/1.7 lens. Sounds interesting.. I'd jump on it immediately, if it were M246 internals and they'd made it monochrome!

Alternatively a 50mm could cause severe GAS and immediate ordering..

But, right now I'm waiting for updates to Jono's homepage :watch:

//Juha

Paratom

Mmhh,
but what would be the advantage over a M240 with a prime (or even better: 2or 3 prime lenses)?
Of course I am interested to see if and what comes. I hope it would have a nice, simple and intuitive user interface.

V

Vivek

This would be a very useful camera (but for the code name which I am sure is far better than one of Soviet era numbering schemes :eek:).

Personally, I am waiting for that Sony RX2 with a 35/1.8 lens based on a curved sensor.

Mmhh,
but what would be the advantage over a M240 with a prime (or even better: 2or 3 prime lenses)?
Of course I am interested to see if and what comes. I hope it would have a nice, simple and intuitive user interface.
More compact, light weight, autofocus, no rangefinder.. Very different product & definitely very usefull.

Paratom

More compact, light weight, autofocus, no rangefinder.. Very different product & definitely very usefull.
i might change my mind in the future. But I sold the RX1 because I found it too close to the M in size and prefered the M because of the optical viewfinder and the ability to use different focal lengths.

On the other side we all know the charme of a fixed focal length camera and AF can be usedull for certain subjects.

algrove

On the street the RX-1 saved me many times over even when carrying an M240 or M-P.

Paratom, you seem to be a Leica fan in a big way, what is the REAL word on this Q? Will it have uncompressed dng's?

herrbarnack

Here is an article about this camera - http://lavidaleica.com/content/future-leica-m-cometh

The following passage from the article decidedly does NOT strike me as good news in the least:
"...Now we get into the grey area between "good" and "bad" news and it depends entirely on how you choose to look at it. Sort of like the glass being half full or half empty. One way the size will be reduced is the end of the traditional Messsucher (optical rangefinder after which the Leica M is named) as we know it. Why? It's large, heavy, complex and sensitive to alignment and finally, expensive - costing $750 alone. It will still have an optical component (ruling out an EVF) but will now essentially be digital, similar to the Konost (link is external) camera and its digital rangefinder (link is external) at the least - or a hybrid like the Fujifilm X-Pro1 and X100 at best. ..."
If the current rangefinder mechanism is scrapped in favor of a digital rangefinder mechanism, the camera ceases to be a Leica M camera in my view. I would have exactly zero interest in such a camera and I seriously doubt that I would be the only M camera connoisseur who would be of that outlook.

Abandoning real rangefinder sent shivers down my spine. It's ok not to have it in compacts, but taking it out of the M kills the product line. Made me want to buy film MP the very second I saw that LVL article!

//Juha

peterv

The lavida website is very good at creating FUD and making up 'news' while spreading the wrong info in order to create traffic.

jonoslack

Here is an article about this camera - http://lavidaleica.com/content/future-leica-m-cometh

The following passage from the article decidedly does NOT strike me as good news in the least:

If the current rangefinder mechanism is scrapped in favor of a digital rangefinder mechanism, the camera ceases to be a Leica M camera in my view. I would have exactly zero interest in such a camera and I seriously doubt that I would be the only M camera connoisseur who would be of that outlook.
I'm with Peter here LaVida Leica seem to me to be interesting in that they make predictions (usually wrong) . . . and then later on say they got it right - it's probably easier to see this when you actually know about what they're talking about.

Whatever the truth about the Q, I don't believe for one second that the Rangefinder is threatened - not for one second.

Whatever the truth about the Q, I don't believe for one second that the Rangefinder is threatened - not for one second.
I would be quite surprised if they would remove it, after all that's the one core element that makes messuchercamera different. Remove it and you're just another mirrorless camera.

//Juha

V

Vivek

So, the Q , "Hemingway", is not a fixed lens compact but an interchangeable lens camera? :confused:

So, the Q , "Hemingway", is not a fixed lens compact but an interchangeable lens camera? :confused:
No, Q is fixed lens etc.. but there was also reference to future M, which allegedly would be published later this year and would be missing traditional rangefinder and have some sort of electrical rangefinder instead.

The Q info might be and hopefully is correct. Likewise hopefully the future M info is 100% wrong.

//Juha

jonoslack

Hi Vivek
I wasn't talking about the Q I was talking about the M - I thought that people were worried about the end of the rangefinder - Of course I have no idea whether the Q also has a rangefinder, or whether it's a fixed lens compact either. I assume it exists because of the registering of the name. . . but LaVida Leica's predictions have been a bit odd in the past :)

jonoslack

No, Q is fixed lens etc.. but there was also reference to future M, which allegedly would be published later this year and would be missing traditional rangefinder and have some sort of electrical rangefinder instead.

The Q info might be and hopefully is correct. Likewise hopefully the future M info is 100% wrong.

//Juha
HI Juha
no idea about the Q but I'm as sure as I can be that the speculation about the M is wrong.

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, Thanks.

I could not figure out that Lavia site and its purpose. I am not smart, mind you! :)

Paratom

On the street the RX-1 saved me many times over even when carrying an M240 or M-P.

Paratom, you seem to be a Leica fan in a big way, what is the REAL word on this Q? Will it have uncompressed dng's?
I would not argue that I do like most of the Leica products, but not because its Leica. I like them because they work good for me.

In case of RX1 vs the M : as soon as I put it in a pocket the size difference between the RX1+EVF and the M with a 35 Summicron or Summarit can be neglected.
I also do prefer optical viewfinders (and fully understand some people prefer EVF).
So I did not see any benefit for me to keep the RX1. Has nothing to do with fanboying.

The smaller size is also the reason why I kept the X2 instead the newer X, because the X2 slips in a pocket of a jacket, while the new X doesn't have a big size advantage over the M.

IMO new X and a Q (if the rumour is true) and RX1 is mainly interesting for people who do not own an M, or just use 35mm lens. In this case those cameras offers nearly (or with AF even more) the same like the M+35mm prime but for a considerably lower amount of money.

No question the RX1 is an excellent camera, for me just too much overlap with the M.

algrove

So let me better understand this thread. IS it a fact that the Q was manufactured by an article in LaVidaLeica?