The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica 28mm 1.4 is out and about on its own

jrp

Hi There
I like it - I've had one on and off since 2013 - here are some very short thoughts and a few snaps
28 Summilux Asph
You have said that you didn't get on with the 28mm Summicron (which is my experience; it doesn't seem to be very sharp, in my case, although I know that it is others' favourite lens).

Quite a few of your (beautiful) sample shots are at f/8 or f/11. Presumably there is little difference between the 28mm Summicron and the Summilux at those apertures? Can you say a bit more about why you decided to keep the Summilux and not the Summicron?

jonoslack

You have said that you didn't get on with the 28mm Summicron (which is my experience; it doesn't seem to be very sharp, in my case, although I know that it is others' favourite lens).

Quite a few of your (beautiful) sample shots are at f/8 or f/11. Presumably there is little difference between the 28mm Summicron and the Summilux at those apertures? Can you say a bit more about why you decided to keep the Summilux and not the Summicron?
hi There
My Summicron seemed to Lack 'Zing'. But it could have been a bad copy. I think it was lacking in micro-contrast rather than sharpness. I like the summilux better at all apertures. I guess that this is all pretty subjective.
I also like the little Elmarit Asph. (That used to have a poor reputation in the days of the M8, but these days everyone seems to like it!)

hi There
My Summicron seemed to Lack 'Zing'. But it could have been a bad copy. I think it was lacking in micro-contrast rather than sharpness. I like the summilux better at all apertures. I guess that this is all pretty subjective.
I also like the little Elmarit Asph. (That used to have a poor reputation in the days of the M8, but these days everyone seems to like it!)
I think that the 28 Elmarit Asph had a poor reputation only because it was too cheap to be a Leica lens. :)

scott kirkpatrick

"Out and about on its own?" Except for Jono, I don't see much evidence for this title. My pre-order is in. If anyone else has one, please don't be shy.

scott

turtle

The 28mm Elmarit-M Asph is tremendous in my eyes....

The 28mm Lux looks interesting, for sure. I have the 24 Lux and love that lens, however. It has a stunning look to the images. Lots but never too much comes to mind. I understand the 28 Lux is more like the 35mm FLE in look?

scott kirkpatrick

My dealer in California sez there are three copies en route in their first shipment. That sounds like swifter fulfillment than with past new products. Of course, I'm not one of the first three in line so I have to hope the flow continues at this rate...

scott

jrp

I have one (manufactured last August). I have not had time to try it properly. So far I am not convinced that the focusing is properly matched to my M240; I suspect that it is front focusing, but it could be operator error. The rangfinder and live view do not seem to be completely in sync. Nice 3D effect at f1.4.

algrove

I have one (manufactured last August). I have not had time to try it properly. So far I am not convinced that the focusing is properly matched to my M240; I suspect that it is front focusing, but it could be operator error. The rangfinder and live view do not seem to be completely in sync. Nice 3D effect at f1.4.
How did you get one from last August? I know there were review samples out, but how did you come across one nearly 10 months before introduction and on top of that you did not try out properly. Wow.

aDam007

I've already been offered this lens. Turned my dealer down. I'll wait till I see more samples before I decide if it's for me or not.

Truthfully, I'm trying to minimise my collection to "bare essentials"

V

Vivek

To paraphrase Tre, pictures or it did not happen! :D

jrp

Well that is what it says on the box label with serial number. I suppose that they could have made the box and label last august and made the lens in the last month or so, but I'd go with a simpler explanation.

algrove

Well that is what it says on the box label with serial number. I suppose that they could have made the box and label last august and made the lens in the last month or so, but I'd go with a simpler explanation.
I notice Leica uses the YYYY/MM/DD system on the labels that I have on all my newer US products from them. I do not know if date labels are different for different countries, but I doubt that very much. It's the 2014 you mention that is way off base and if true is a Leica mistake.

I notice Leica uses the YYYY/MM/DD system on the labels that I have on all my newer US products from them. I do not know if date labels are different for different countries, but I doubt that very much. It's the 2014 you mention that is way off base and if true is a Leica mistake.
Actually, there is a chap from UK with his Lux 28 manufactured from last November. I think Leica has been at it for a while. That certainly explains why Jono got his copy since March.

Can you confirm that this lens has no front filter thread? Thank you.

jrp

Yes, if you unscrew the front, which may be a polaroid holder, you will get a filter mount.

The box label is attached.

algrove

Yes, if you unscrew the front, which may be a polaroid holder, you will get a filter mount.

The box label is attached.
Thanks jrp. That label is totaly weird to me. Sounds like it takes a Series VII filter or maybe Series VI.

jrp

No, it takes regular filters; I haven't figured out what the dummy filter is for. even looking at the accessories in the manual.