The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica 28mm 1.4 is out and about on its own

I think that MTF is not right. They still don't have the dashed line for sagittal yet. Impressively low distortion though.

Current price in HK is 60000 HKD, or $7700

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I think that MTF is not right. They still don't have the dashed line for sagittal yet. Impressively low distortion though.

Current price in HK is 60000 HKD, or $7700
A pity. :(

We would see them on eBay in 2 years for 2K less. I may visit the local boutique shop to have a glimpse (or not). :p

jonoslack

Thank you for the write up, Jono. Can you confirm the published MTF is the right one. It doesn't seem to have very good corners based on that MTF.
Sorry - without doing an MTF test myself it's hard to comment. It's always a minefield . . . everyone seems to think that the 24 elmar is fantastically sharp, but I found the corners soft at around 10 metres.

This lens seems to me to be sharp to the corners whenever I need it to be. (not very scientific perhaps, but relevant to real life shooting).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi There
I like it - I've had one on and off since 2013 - here are some very short thoughts and a few snaps
28 Summilux Asph
Excellent photos with what seems to be a very good lens. 28mm has once again become one of my three "go-to" lenses (28/50/105mm), and this would be an obvious choice if I could afford the luxury of owning a Leica. I hope they sell a lot of them.

jonoslack

A pity. :(

We would see them on eBay in 2 years for 2K less. I may visit the local boutique shop to have a glimpse (or not). :p
Hi Vivek
Well, it's much closer to the price of the 35 FLE than that of the 24 'lux, and perhaps that's a welcome surprise?

Sorry - without doing an MTF test myself it's hard to comment. It's always a minefield . . . everyone seems to think that the 24 elmar is fantastically sharp, but I found the corners soft at around 10 metres.

This lens seems to me to be sharp to the corners whenever I need it to be. (not very scientific perhaps, but relevant to real life shooting).
I agree since the MTF only reflects infinity performance unless noted otherwise. I have the Elmar 24 as well, and I am seeing the same soft corners at close distance. I suspect that is because of the lack of floating element. I would not be surprised if the SEM 21 having the same problem.

V

Vivek

That makes little sense. Since the 28/1.4 has floating elements, the infinity MTF should be reflective of the other distances as well. I do not see any measures at f/1.4 either. How it plays with the Sony A7 series remains to be seen and would help with its value.

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek
Well, it's much closer to the price of the 35 FLE than that of the 24 'lux, and perhaps that's a welcome surprise?
I guess, it is. There are absolute junk being introduced for 1400 Euros (The Meyer Trioplan- a triplet, for example).

algrove

I agree since the MTF only reflects infinity performance unless noted otherwise. I have the Elmar 24 as well, and I am seeing the same soft corners at close distance. I suspect that is because of the lack of floating element. I would not be surprised if the SEM 21 having the same problem.
Not my SEM21.

algrove

That makes little sense. Since the 28/1.4 has floating elements, the infinity MTF should be reflective of the other distances as well. I do not see any measures at f/1.4 either. How it plays with the Sony A7 series remains to be seen and would help with its value.
Sorry Vivek, but I cannot agree that having the 28/1.4 work on the A7 will help with its value. It seems that the majority of Sony users working with Leica lenses have already had their Leica lenses before getting a Sony. Plus, at those prices why not just get the Zeiss 25 or Sony/Zeiss 28 for better value for the Sony?

V

Vivek

You should be sorry for not paying attention. :p

Try the A7s and you will understand what I mean. :)

Though spoken from a personal usage view, I strongly believe that the E mount platform is something that the current M mount one can only dream about.

algrove

You should be sorry for not paying attention. :p

Try the A7s and you will understand what I mean. :)

Though spoken from a personal usage view, I strongly believe that the E mount platform is something that the current M mount one can only dream about.
The current a7s does not interest me, however the a7II does interest me, first as a backup camera and then if appreciated like you with Sony, then perhaps later as a primary camera if appreciated enough.

aDam007

Not my SEM21.
+1, all three of my copies, including my current were/is fine.

Though there is a problem with 21SEM lenses, sometimes one of the elements doesn't sit right. I know of three people who had to send theirs in for this issue. Usually makes one side of the image more soft then the other.

algrove

+1, all three of my copies, including my current were/is fine.

Though there is a problem with 21SEM lenses, sometimes one of the elements doesn't sit right. I know of three people who had to send theirs in for this issue. Usually makes one side of the image more soft then the other.
There was a recall on some of the first ones and perhaps those are the ones causing the element problems.