The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica 28mm 1.4 is out and about on its own

scott kirkpatrick

No, it takes regular filters; I haven't figured out what the dummy filter is for. even looking at the accessories in the manual.
It sounds as if the lens shade works like the ones on the 21 and 24 Summiluxes, which screw in with an external thread that stops rotating just at the right point to make the edges of the shade line up horizontally or vertically. Those indicate the filter size on the outside: Series VIII for the 21 and Series VII for the 24. Does the new 28 indicate a filter series size on the outside of the lens?

What dummy filter are you referring to?

scott

jrp

The dummy filter is a ring that you need to unscrew to expose the threads needed to fit a regular (49mm) filter. Outside it says E49.

V

Vivek

Is the focus off because it has been sitting in a box, unused for a long time?

Any pics using it?

scott kirkpatrick

The same date (2014/08/11) appears on the labels of three copies of this lens which just arrived in California. So now we know when the boxes were printed.

scott

aDam007

jrp - There are two components. One is a hood. It screws to outer threads. The other is a simple ring. When not using the hood you screw the ring to the outer threads to protect the thin fragile outer threads. That ring is JUST to protect the threads when not using the hood.

A filter will screw into the the 28lux as any normal filter would screw into any lens.

It takes 49mm filters BTW. Some might not fit with the ring and hood. I'm sure though that the B+W MRC x-pro nano slim ones would. And so would the Leica ones.

BTW, you put the filter on, then put the hood on.
Or if you're using the thread protector ring.. You put the ring on, then you put the filter on.

V

Vivek

Can't you just buy a sample, Lou? how many lists have your name? :LOL:

jrp - There are two components. One is a hood. It screws to outer threads. The other is a simple ring. When not using the hood you screw the ring to the outer threads to protect the thin fragile outer threads. That ring is JUST to protect the threads when not using the hood.

A filter will screw into the the 28lux as any normal filter would screw into any lens.

It takes 49mm filters BTW. Some might not fit with the ring and hood. I'm sure though that the B+W MRC x-pro nano slim ones would. And so would the Leica ones.

BTW, you put the filter on, then put the hood on.
Or if you're using the thread protector ring.. You put the ring on, then you put the filter on.
Adam, this might be a new thing. They have a metal ring protecting the inner thread instead. Here is a couple of pictures from HK dealers.

aDam007

There's no ring protecting the outer threads?
I just had a conversation with my friend yesterday about his new 28lux. He was telling me the same thing, but I thought he meant the outer ring. So I was explaining to him the same way I was explaining to JRP. WHOOPS, hope I didn't confuse him :D

He was trying to tell me he didn't know how the filter fit on.. I guess I need to call him up and tell him there's a way to unscrew the inside ring.. LOL :D

Malina DZ

I like it - I've had one on and off since 2013 - here are some very short thoughts and a few snaps
28 Summilux Asph
Jono, thank you for sharing your hands-on experience and images, especially for DNGs.
I like 28/1.4 Lux performance a lot, bokeh at f/1.4 particularly! It seems to have the lowest distortion among 75° FOV lenses which is a significant advantage for me when shooting portraits.
What I'm also interested in is how well it's corrected for comatic aberration. An image of a scene with lots of light points shot wide open would be helpful in determining that.

Here's a sample shot with Distagon 28/2 ZE wide open:

Click to view a full size JPG.

I hope 28/1.4 Lux performs way better than 28/2 ZE in regards to coma.

Also, looking forward to comments in regards to field curvature.
I see a severe field curvature at f6.8 in the image of the tree (http://www.slack.co.uk/2015/summilux28/index.html#/view/ID255558) when examining the DNG file (MM044108.DNG). Crops in the left corner are way sharper than the grass on the right.

scott kirkpatrick

Folks who now have one of these, is the lens correctly recognized by the firmware? M240 firmware was last updated in November 2014, at which point the lens existed but was not released for sale. There is no mention of this lens in the "what the new firmware does for you" readme note, so I don't know what to expect. Maybe new firmware.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Re: leica 28mm 1.4 manufacturing dates

It looks like the select August 2014 batch has now been sold out. My own copy is on its way to me and is dated February 2015.

scott