The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What to make of the new Leica slim M?

rich_

China has many beautiful parts to film and the smog only covers a miniscule part when compared to the land mass.

The rumour sites are stating that this will be a fixed lens with an EVF, rather than rangefinder mechanisms.

I'm sure there will be a lot of happy and unhappy campers.

aDam007

Let's say for a minute Leica goes crazy and makes something like this:

1) FF (mono or color)

2) Small w/dedicated aperture ring, shutter dial, and easy access ISO OR no LCD but dedicated ISO button

3) Summicron 28 (literally an AF version of the summicron 28)

4) EVF/RF hybrid.

Why would I buy it when I already have 3x M-P240 cameras, and a **** ton of M lenses? It's not going to be cheap, and anything less then my suggested above specs won't make it of interest to most Leica fans.

Let's say it comes in at $4k (that's cheap for Leica).. Considering you get an actual Leica built, real Leica M lens. So basically you're getting the camera body for free when you buy the lens... Still would you buy this over buying a lens for your M240/M246? Considering the body will be obsolete in 3-5 years, and you'll still be able to use the lens on the next big camera body. Whereas a fixed lens camera just looses money, and eventually you don't use it or sell it at a significant loss.

And if you did buy it, why? Just because of the size? Does having a smaller size body really matter that much? Keep in mind the lens won't be able to be much smaller.. So it still won't fit in a pocket. Is it because of the AF?

I hope I don't sound hostile, I know I'm tossing out a lot of questions, but I'm genuinely curious what's on peoples minds.

And do people really dislike the size of the M240/M246/M-P? I actually find the size fine.. My MPfilm and my M7 actually cramped my hand because they are to small (sold off the M7 just recently). Honestly they could reduce the weight a bit, my shoulder would thank me.

I'll leave everyone with one final point.... IF Leica made a M body exactly like the M240 (size, weight, dials, rings, menus) BUT instead of an RF made either a hybrid RF (see Xpro1 or even something like ContaxG, or that weird concept camera) and made the lenses AF (exactly the same M lenses, but AF versions).. I would buy that in a heartbeat.. WHY, because for me, even though I shoot weddings with M cameras, I find that sometimes it does become a hassle. Especially when the wedding is uneventful and I'm not in the zone... Then I start thinking about things, my mind wanders, and I start imagining what life would be like if my M240/M-P whatever were an AF camera with the same joy to use RF style framing.

That and I feel bad for older die hard Leica fans who have eye problems and can no longer use the brand and M lenses they love :(

Paratom

Let's say for a minute Leica goes crazy and makes something like this:

1) FF (mono or color)

2) Small w/dedicated aperture ring, shutter dial, and easy access ISO OR no LCD but dedicated ISO button

3) Summicron 28 (literally an AF version of the summicron 28)

4) EVF/RF hybrid.

Why would I buy it when I already have 3x M-P240 cameras, and a **** ton of M lenses? It's not going to be cheap, and anything less then my suggested above specs won't make it of interest to most Leica fans.

Let's say it comes in at $4k (that's cheap for Leica).. Considering you get an actual Leica built, real Leica M lens. So basically you're getting the camera body for free when you buy the lens... Still would you buy this over buying a lens for your M240/M246? Considering the body will be obsolete in 3-5 years, and you'll still be able to use the lens on the next big camera body. Whereas a fixed lens camera just looses money, and eventually you don't use it or sell it at a significant loss.

And if you did buy it, why? Just because of the size? Does having a smaller size body really matter that much? Keep in mind the lens won't be able to be much smaller.. So it still won't fit in a pocket. Is it because of the AF?

I hope I don't sound hostile, I know I'm tossing out a lot of questions, but I'm genuinely curious what's on peoples minds.

....(
These are exactly the reasons why I did not see a reason to own/keep a RX1 besides my Leica M.
The x2 is another thing, because its considerably smaller.

But for those who do not yet own a Leica M system..and who like 35mm FOV...
Or for those who prefer an EVF over a optical one (I prefer the optical)

turtle

I hope Leica has injected something special into this camera and focused on utility rather than Audi associated aluminium ingots mined from the moon and milled on Mars. After the 'T' I really want to see the basics fulfilled as well as some novel aspects. I still feel the T was a huge opportunity missed by a mile.

One assumes 24MP CMOSIS sensor?

V

Vivek

Personally, I am very thankful to the "T" as it made me appreciate my NEX-5N even more. :)

J

JohnW

I'm now considering options for something new and look forward to what Leica introduces. But it's hard to imagine a small 28mm camera that justifies thousands more than the near-perfect GR. But I'm open-minded.

John

Last edited:

JorisV

I actually quite like the T... sold my A7s, kept the T... no regrets whatsoever...
Back to the topic, looking forward to what this camera will offer or not offer... :)

aDam007

So people would by a small camera then, if it were full frame, and somewhat intuitive. BUT would you pay for it being a fixed lens, when most of you have a M and can just buy a lens for your M.

Paratom - I didn't know there even was an RX2 rumour that said it would be significantly smaller. I just couldn't see giving up the M-system for something else Leica cooks up, unless it were the M-AF pipe dream I mentioned above.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what it is, and then continue this chat.. Personally, I couldn't really see anything being of interest to me, since I have the M-system.

V

Vivek

Paratom - I didn't know there even was an RX2 rumour that said it would be significantly smaller. I just couldn't see giving up the M-system for something else Leica cooks up, unless it were the M-AF pipe dream I mentioned above.

Curved sensor (Sony have patents), a 4 element 35/1.8 lens (Also SOny patents) => Very compact FF camera.

algrove

Not bad in Leica terms, considering you nearly pay that much for a 28/2.0 M lens. Oh, I forgot they have a garage sale on those lenses now at $3750 instead of $4295. But that's cheap compared to the new M 28/1.4 at $6k. Wonder when the garage sale ends as it's been ongoing since 1 January 2015?

aDam007

Looking at the newest rumours. The camera looks cool (assuming it's not faked), if the top dial is a shutter dial, then that's good. Hopefully it isn't a stupid mode dial.

The other thing, looks like aperture ring on the lens, and seems strangely capable of MF, definitely a viewfinder built in.. The 1.7 and "Summilux" bothers me.. Makes me think it's a APS-C camera again. Weird that at the mount it seems almost detachable.

Also hope if it is 1.7 that it's fixed, and doesn't cheat you like the other X type out there.

Wonder if it'll have a Sony sensor? Based on the high ISO that's a possibility :(

Not something I'd buy over a 28summicron.. But sure looks pretty :D

Godfrey

Not something I'd buy over a 28summicron.. But sure looks pretty :D
That's a little amusing in that I bought the X, in part, instead of a modern 'Lux 35 for the M because it gave me close focusing, the option of AF, and a whole nice camera behind it ... And the 'Lux 35 I wanted for the M was an older one for its unique rendering character. :)

G

aDam007

That's a little amusing in that I bought the X, in part, instead of a modern 'Lux 35 for the M because it gave me close focusing, the option of AF, and a whole nice camera behind it ... And the 'Lux 35 I wanted for the M was an older one for its unique rendering character. :)

G

I can focus my RF faster then the X.. And I'm not really a 28 kinda guy. Closer focusing would have been welcome on a whole from the M-system.

Wondering how it acts in real world use.. Curious particularly about the EVF/AF/IQ.. Although I'm sure that's what everyone else is curious about as well.

Honestly though, the back of the camera looks good. Refreshing to see a somewhat familiar setup. Though that scroll wheel where the thumb indent is.. that will be hard to access.

turtle

BIG Question!

If the new 'Q' is a fixed lens camera, then why do 'leaked' photos show two things of interest:

1. A dot on the lens aligned to a dot on the body/mount (see here)

2. knurling on the lens, close to the body (here)

I can't see why either of these would be needed with a fixed lens camera. There is also a seam just after the knurling, but with another section of metal before the camera surface.

Is this not looking suspiciously like an interchangeable camera?

FrozenInTime

BIG Question!

If the new 'Q' is a fixed lens camera, then why do 'leaked' photos show two things of interest:

1. A dot on the lens aligned to a dot on the body/mount (see here)

2. knurling on the lens, close to the body (here)
That looks like a normal/macro range selector ring ( similar to the RX1 )