The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What to make of the new Leica slim M?

etrigan63

Regardless of how the Q does, Leica should come out with an interchangeable version of it. They should clearly quote the declining M sales and make a case for a non mechanical mirrorless cam. Hopefully, such a camera will have a swivel LCD to make it more versatile.
I agree. Depending on how they pull it off, there will no doubt be a market for Leica M - Leica Q adapters that transmit the lens codes. Plus battery grips, leather cases (I like the Arte Di Mano ½-case that covers M multifunction grip and I see that happening if Leica makes a Q-mount body with a pro grip). This has the potential to become their 35mm pro camera if they play their cards right.

Duane Pandorf

I won't buy a fixed lens camera again. If this camera came with the 35mm FOV would be a better choice IMO. I've owned a fixed lens camera and it is possible for dust to find its way inside. When that happens you have no recourse but to send it off for repair.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Regardless of how the Q does, Leica should come out with an interchangeable version of it. They should clearly quote the declining M sales and make a case for a non mechanical mirrorless cam. Hopefully, such a camera will have a swivel LCD to make it more versatile.
I didn't think M sales were declining. I agree that a mirrorless with a M mount is a good idea but I am not at all sure Leica is ready to walk away from the optical rangefinder. It is something that distinguishes them from the competition. If they are going to try to compete solely on electronic features, they will end up abandoning the body business in favor selling their lense, which are the other distinguishing factor. So if there is a mirrorless M I think it will live alongside but not instead of the classic M rangefinders. The alternative is for Leica to construct a hybrid Optical/EVF system like Fuji did, but do it in Leica's way. I'd love to see that but it think it is wishful thinking in 2015.

Duane Pandorf

...The alternative is for Leica to construct a hybrid Optical/EVF system like Fuji did, but do it in Leica's way. I'd love to see that but it think it is wishful thinking in 2015.
I wonder what battery life would be like with the addition of an integrated EVF along with liveview?

rayyan

OT, but have to answer this...Jono can shoot in Beijing if he likes.

Just back from there..no smog, I could see in the far distance.

Let's be accurate with our comments. There is a period when Beijing is smothered by smog. It was not the past and the beginning of this month.

p.s. I suffer from COPD. I would know when there is smog.

Godfrey

I wonder what battery life would be like with the addition of an integrated EVF along with liveview?
Probably quite similar to what the current M typ 240 nets, given a similar battery capacity. I've not found any problem when I've fitted the EVF and gone shooting for an hour or two, using the EVF about 80% of the time—up to 300-400 exposures later, the battery isn't exhausted.

G

MCTuomey

I didn't think M sales were declining. I agree that a mirrorless with a M mount is a good idea but I am not at all sure Leica is ready to walk away from the optical rangefinder. It is something that distinguishes them from the competition. If they are going to try to compete solely on electronic features, they will end up abandoning the body business in favor selling their lense, which are the other distinguishing factor. So if there is a mirrorless M I think it will live alongside but not instead of the classic M rangefinders. The alternative is for Leica to construct a hybrid Optical/EVF system like Fuji did, but do it in Leica's way. I'd love to see that but it think it is wishful thinking in 2015.
They don't have to abandon the digital M platform. They can treat it just as they do the film M platform. Still in production, but little in the way of re-design or improvements. Leica has the tooling and the R&D for the digital M well behind them. The Q is a necessary step if Leica expects to compete in the mirrorless space that threatens their camera business overall. Their challenge is to do it better than the Sony FE and Fuji X lines. They may just do so with the Q.

All I can say is that I would much rather shoot a Q-series with a nice selection of fast, small Leica Q glass than Sony FE, Fuji X, or Oly (and I'm an X-user now), assuming fairly equivalent or better imaging performance. It seems to me the nearly ideal digital replacement for a Leica film M.

etrigan63

I do. Q w/fixed 28 --> Q w/interchangeable mount --> Q-series MF/AF lenses.
I agree.

The Bauhaus School of Design that Leica employs gives the Q a look that is unmatched by other cameras of this form-factor. It will be quite the hit considering how good the images are. Moving to a Q-mount version seems like a natural progression and allows them the opportunity to sell to more "seasoned" photographers as a primary camera instead of a backup/walkabout camera. Mirrorless means they can have zooms again (as evidenced by the T).

It will be hard pressed to beat the Sony A7rII which is hitting all of the key points that pros want (OK, neither of them have dual slots. Don't go there.)

Photon42

[...]
Mirrorless means they can have zooms again (as evidenced by the T).
[...]
Well ... any rangerfinder is mirrorless by definition :grin: I do see things similar, though. The Q can be the start of a full frame lens line up with even closer distance to the sensor allowing M lenses to be adapted. A good moment in time to update the bayonet.

algrove

I agree.

The Bauhaus School of Design that Leica employs gives the Q a look that is unmatched by other cameras of this form-factor. It will be quite the hit considering how good the images are. Moving to a Q-mount version seems like a natural progression and allows them the opportunity to sell to more "seasoned" photographers as a primary camera instead of a backup/walkabout camera. Mirrorless means they can have zooms again (as evidenced by the T).

It will be hard pressed to beat the Sony A7rII which is hitting all of the key points that pros want (OK, neither of them have dual slots. Don't go there.)
+1

Lars

I agree.

This might be desirable from some users' standpoint (including you and me), but Leica has to give some thought to brand strategy.
T mount was just released, presumably to fill the purpose you outline for a Q mount.
Another Leica mount would confuse the market, and possibly cannibalize the M market, which I would guess is a no-no for any Leica decision maker.
So my guess is this won't happen until the M market is perceived to be threatened. Currently that's not really the case.