Site Sponsors

Thread: leica X or X varo or D-lux

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

leica X or X varo or D-lux

Hi guys haven't been around for a while...Going to Russia on Ukraine boarder need a small stealthy Leica with good IQ. I will consider other brands but always had Leica M's and love the Leica signature . Sold M9 and kit several years back and don't want to do that expense again especially where confiscation is a possibility. Prints will be made don't know what sizes though….thanks in advance.
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: leica X or X varo or D-lux

If you like a fixed focal length, then I would opt for a Sony RX-1 or RX-1r over those Leica X compacts. As far as print size, neither Leica nor the Sony have any limit on print size--an unfortunate but persistent myth about printing. As far as the D-Lux, why not the Panasonic version? I guess if I was going for a compact zoom camera, the Sony RX100 III would be another camera to consider.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Hi guys haven't been around for a while...Going to Russia on Ukraine boarder need a small stealthy Leica with good IQ. I will consider other brands but always had Leica M's and love the Leica signature . Sold M9 and kit several years back and don't want to do that expense again especially where confiscation is a possibility. Prints will be made don't know what sizes though….thanks in advance.
    If portability is important I still like the "original" X2 a lot. Its ony f2.8 but considrably smaller than the X or the X-Vario.
    Between the X and X Vario...only you know if you get along with 35mm only (I believe there is a lot that can be shot with 35mm) or if you prefer the 2870 zoom range. I would maybe even say buy a T and a 23/2.0 + standard zoom so you have both, a good zoom and a fast prime.
    Do you plan to shoot a lot inside? In this case I would prefer the X. Do you shoot mainly outside...In this case I would prefer the X-Vario (or T with zoom).
    D-Lux...I once bought a LX100 (for my wife)some months ago-we havent used it at all. Too big for a compact and I believe the IQ is not up to the DX sized sensors. Its a nice compromise but not my taste.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks to you both, yes I'm leaning to the Sony rx-1r right now,
    shooting inside and out...about 10 hours from Moscow to where I'm going.. Bryansk. Reluctant on T system because seems to me a little cheaper than a M system but not by much. Of course your almost there with a rx-1r….I always do this and torture myself before a purchase.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Despite being a Leica fan for decades, in your case I´d go for a Ricoh GR. It is extremely versatile, fast-working, compact, and discreet. The image quality actually rivals the Leica alternatives, and it costs half of a D-Lux, so less of a disaster if it is destroyed or confiscated.

I bought one a couple of months ago, to complement my M9 and Monochrom, and I´m impressed with this little thing; it does a great job!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    thanks to you both, yes I'm leaning to the Sony rx-1r right now,
    shooting inside and out...about 10 hours from Moscow to where I'm going.. Bryansk. Reluctant on T system because seems to me a little cheaper than a M system but not by much. Of course your almost there with a rx-1r….I always do this and torture myself before a purchase.
    or maybe a used M9+28 or 35

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I'm pulling the trigger on the Sony rx1r
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

depends on what kind of camera you like. X113 with ovf/evf& grip would be very close to M in handling. also all important functions are right at your hand, where sony is more menu based computer with a million little settings.

sony has advantage on high iso & shallow dof. I reckon Leicas advantage is simplicity & better batterylife. I would probably pair X113 & X Vario together, as they also share filters, grip & battery.

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: leica X or X varo or D-lux OR Sony RX1r

Yes the Sony has a lot of settings menus but can be customized to a few buttons on the camera. I've always liked Leica's because of the simplicity. But with the resolution of the RX1s sensor, it gives you some room for in-camera or post cropping.... some digital zoom if needed.....and its so freaking small......but you do have to squeeze it to get close to the "Leica look". I love Leica's but what I need now is a small fixed prime with a large sensor...me's thinks....
    Last edited by mwalker; 1st June 2015 at 12:16.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for the Ricoh GR. What a superb camera. Now that the Leica Q is out, I would also consider it as an option.