The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First Leica Q photos up on Leicas Blog!

rayyan

Well done Leica.

When will a converter or a sibling 50mm Q be available? I am pretty sure it is in the works.

Godfrey

it seems it is using a sony sensor, i wonder why they did not use these sensors for the m and also the new s .
Whether it is actually using a Sony sensor or not I don't know, but if it is, it's likely because of the customized microlenses on the CMOSIS sensor for use with RF interchangeable lenses. The Q (and X) have a new lens designed for the digital sensor.

G

segedi

Jono, can the digital crop work for RAW images?
Ashwin,
From Jono's writeup, it looks like you get the entire 28mm coverage in RAW, but when using 35mm crop mode, it applies a crop that Lightroom can read. You may readjust the crop in Lightroom as is normally done in that software. This is a very well implemented feature.

LocalHero1953

Leaf shutter? If that's part of the lens, then making an interchangeable version that can accept M lenses would be problematic.

lambert

Wake us when it can make 28mm images at this level.
The A7RII with the new Zeiss 25/2 will comfortable match (likely exceed when cropped to 28mm) the performance of the Q, and offers the ability to crop to 40mm while maintaining 24mp resolution.

And with 5-axis IBIS, silent shutter, internal 4K, improved ISO and the ability to change lenses, I fail to see why you would drop the sort of coin Leica is asking for a limiting, fixed lens camera. :loco:

animefx

It will also be a fair amount larger, drain through batteries crazy, and I doubt the focus is as quick as the Q.

Having said all that, I'm sure it will be a great camera. Thats quite an insane ISO especially for the megapixels. I had an A7 II briefly and liked it but the color isn't as good as what I'm seeing from the Q already, I doubt the A7R II will be much different.

The A7RII with the new Zeiss 25/2 will comfortable match (likely exceed when cropped to 28mm) the performance of the Q, and offers the ability to crop to 40mm while maintaining 24mp resolution.

And with 5-axis IBIS, silent shutter, internal 4K, improved ISO and the ability to change lenses, I fail to see why you would drop the sort of coin Leica is asking for a limiting, fixed lens camera. :loco:

uhoh7

Possibly because it's not a sony science project in varying degrees of completion?

I say that after 200K clicks on A7 bodies.

You predict the performance of the 25/2 with..... Batis-Breath LOL I don't doubt it will be the best 28ish option for the quirky thick sensor stack of the sony, but even a properly centered copy I'll wager won't hold a candle to the Q.

We will see :)

Well it does seem there is reason to hope the R2 will be a bit better with the real lenses:
Sony First on market with Full-Frame BSI Sensor. | Leica Place - Leica User Group

Last edited:

bradhusick

I agree with Michael Reichmann: "If I was heavily involved in wide-angle street shooting and had a spare $5K, I’d be all over my local dealer to put me at the front of the queue (Q?) for the Q. But I am not, and don’t."

At 28mm this is virtually useless for portraits so I will pass. Please Leica, make a 50 lux version.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
An interesting fact is that the Q isn't terribly much more expensive than the R1 was when launched if you added a viewfinder to the Sony, and this a Leica after all.

msadat

even with all the leica fans (me included) leica prices will be questioned when there are so many high end options like the rx1/2 sony a7ii sony a7rii are available at better price point.

lambert

An interesting fact is that the Q isn't terribly much more expensive than the R1 was when launched if you added a viewfinder to the Sony, and this a Leica after all.
The RX1 was a pioneer but sales have flagged since Sony released FF bodies with interchangeable lenses. Perhaps Leica commenced on the Q project way back then ... but nowadays there's lukewarm interest in expensive, fixed lens cameras.

lambert

Possibly because it's not a sony science project in varying degrees of completion?

I say that after 200K clicks on A7 bodies.

You predict the performance of the 25/2 with..... Batis-Breath LOL I don't doubt it will be the best 28ish option for the quirky thick sensor stack of the sony, but even a properly centered copy I'll wager won't hold a candle to the Q.

We will see :)

Well it does seem there is reason to hope the R2 will be a bit better with the real lenses:
Sony First on market with Full-Frame BSI Sensor. | Leica Place - Leica User Group
Lloyd Chambers has tested every Leica wide in the stable (with the possible exception of the recent 28 LUX). On the Batis:

"The Zeiss Batis lenses deliver first class results in the field. I’m really enjoying them, and dang is the 85/1.8 razor sharp. And the Batis 25mm f/2 may have no peer in the 24/25mm range (it’s feeling that way in the image quality it’s delivering)."

diglloyd - May 2015

turtle

Without wishing to be an *ss, I suspect that with a 25mm Batis attached, it will be far, far above that level. Larger, heavier and a different beast, but most likely in another league from a pure technical image quality point of view. From a utility point of view, they bear no relation of course.

From pure optics point of view, I also recall Ming Thein regarding the Ricoh GR lens as having the best performance at and beyond its admittedly slower max aperture than either the RX1 or Q, so I think it is hugely premature to leap from the rafters crowing about the Q having 'peerless 28mm performance'... Without doubt, its a great overall package if fast 28mm is your bag, but it does have compromises (including non-class leading performance at the edge of the frame, according to Sean Reid, where the central performance has been prioritised).

Wake us when it can make 28mm images at this level.

aDam007

Lloyd Chambers may be right. But his criteria may not suit everyone's taste.

From the samples I've seen thus far, I wasn't 100% convinced of the Q. But after my favourite reviewer posted some good images while I was sleeping, I'm a little more convinced that Leica did something right with the optics this morning. (And by good, I mean good for me to review, because he shoots the camera as I'd shoot the camera.)

It all hinges on the AF capabilities now. If this camera's AF is better then the A7 by a noticeable margin. Especially in back lit situations or situations where the typical mirrorless AF can easily get tricked (and I know what to look out for after owning all the A7 series cameras)... Then I will have to take another really serious look at the images it produces.

Simply put, Leica did EVERYTHING they could this time to produce a seriously competitive and technologically advanced product. So as someone who constantly bitches that they want Leica to do better, I should shell out money in support of a camera that in fact has done better then the competition. It's only right to pat them on the back for their achievements. Let's just hope the camera doesn't have major flaws, because servicing anything at Leica is always a long painful process.

Let's see how fast Sony responds (A7rii was a bit of a dick move, but it's not apples to apples)... The RX2 will have to be shockingly good, and will have to vastly improve upon the shortcomings of the RX1 before I'd consider giving up something so ergonomically pleasing like the Leica Q. And as far as rendering is concern, the RX1 is nice, no doubt. So lets hope the masses feel the same way about the Q.

Look at the end of the day, AF is everything.. If it doesn't work, then I'd sooner just buy a Summilux 28 at the price point of the Q... And for the fact that I have several M240/M-P bodies, it might make more sense. Though the 28FL is something I'm trying to move away from.. Leica you temptress :D

V

Vivek

For the first time, I am excited about the RX. The RX100 iv. Absolutely, a pocketable tech marvel. I have to have it. :D

lambert

Let's see how fast Sony responds (A7rii was a bit of a dick move, but it's not apples to apples)... The RX2 will have to be shockingly good, and will have to vastly improve upon the shortcomings of the RX1 before I'd consider giving up something so ergonomically pleasing like the Leica Q. And as far as rendering is concern, the RX1 is nice, no doubt. So lets hope the masses feel the same way about the Q. :D
The RX2 is rumoured to have a curved sensor which means a smaller lens (and therefore a more compact camera) as well as even performance across the frame from widest apertures. The 28mm on the Leica Q, like most Leica wides, has field curvature and needs to be stopped down to f5.6 to achieve even performance across the frame.

retow

840 gram plus at least two spare batteries. Not the right tool for quickly switching from AF to zone focusing, change settings before the cam is on and up to the eye .... Completely different beasts. My GAS attack tells me to get both.:confused: