Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leica Q: First impressions.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica Q: First impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I have to ask: why would you buy this camera if you know you don't like 28mm? I had assumed it would only appeal to people who are darned sure they love 28mm!
    Yeah I would think that Leica would do the Q with 35mm or 50mm since those are the focal lengths that come to mind first when I think Leica. I understand the hesitation to do 35mm since Sony, Fuji, and the Leica X sort of cover this but no one else has done a fixed 50mm... Just an observation.

I'll say that a more versatile focal length like a 35/50mm would make the price a bit easier to swallow. It probably wouldn't make me run out and buy a Q immediately to be honest but it would make be more intrigued into the possibility of owning a Q. The 28mm focal length gives me no such thoughts.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I can live with the dedicated 28mm lens. Right now, I can not live with the price of the Q.

Will love seeing the images it produces in the meantime and patiently wait for the time when the price and the need is a good fit.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Adam, Ashwin, Vivek
    Interesting discussion about Focal Length, and close to my heart, in that much of my time this year has been spent with either the 28 'lux or the Q.

I'm definitely a longer FL person - my most used lens is the 75 APO 'cron, It has been a struggle, but I've come out at the end of it rather liking 28mm - my current trip (sadly nearly over) I've spent a lot of time shooting either a 28mm (the Q) or a 90mm (the macro elmar), it's worked rather well and encouraged a bit of a re-think.

One thing that is worth saying is that if you're running loose with one fixed focal length , then you can manage 35 with a 28 . . . but not 28 with a 35!

all the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am actually pretty comfortable with either 28 or 35, so this would not be a deal breaker for the Q. And as already mentioned, the 28 is more flexible usually and can do what a 35 cannot. And you always can crop to 35 ....

But I think I would miss a medium tele like 75 or 90. So this is currently my struggle with the Q.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    no one else has done a fixed 50mm... Just an observation.
    Got to say the Q is getting some attention and I'm not surprised at the great reports being filed.

On your comment above, the little Sigma DPM and Q ranges are equivalent to 28mm, 45mm and 75mm; all being fixed lenses with exceptional IQ. Yes, yes, they have a whole drum role of stuff that isn't good which is pretty much all fixed by the Leica Q.

I think Leica have opened a can of worms with the Q and if they add a couple more versions - 45mm & 75mm by any chance? - my feeling is they will pretty much knock the M on the head. None of this is good news for the used prices of the Ms. I sure Leica are fully aware of this and are simply dragging their range finder followers into the 21st century.

Just my thoughts. I don't have a Leica but certainly haven't ruled one out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Adam, I appreciate that honesty. I somehow thought that is exactly what you are doing with the Q.

However, how many people would that take to shore up a brand?
    True... But I can't in good conscious rave that Leica isn't doing all they can to bring us the best possible tools for the job. Then overlook one of the most advanced cameras that's hit the market.

Let's hope the camera itself is enough to bring in customers. And the response Leica sees from it is enough to convince them to make something truly awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Adam, Ashwin, Vivek
    Interesting discussion about Focal Length, and close to my heart, in that much of my time this year has been spent with either the 28 'lux or the Q.

I'm definitely a longer FL person - my most used lens is the 75 APO 'cron, It has been a struggle, but I've come out at the end of it rather liking 28mm - my current trip (sadly nearly over) I've spent a lot of time shooting either a 28mm (the Q) or a 90mm (the macro elmar), it's worked rather well and encouraged a bit of a re-think.

One thing that is worth saying is that if you're running loose with one fixed focal length , then you can manage 35 with a 28 . . . but not 28 with a 35!

all the best

Hi Jono,

For the longest time Leica was pimping their 28Cron and 75APO as the perfect two lens kit. It's a wonder that the Q didn't come out in a 28 and 75 version. I think those two FLs could cover 90% of my work.

To be honest, I love the 75APO, one of my favourite lenses.. It doesn't get enough use though, with the 50APO around.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, you can crop 28 to 35.
    But if one is also interested in shooting images of people a little closer distances or focus more on one person 35mm - imo - is the starting focal length. I know what I use on the M ... 35mm and 50mm much much more than 28.
    A question of taste and style of photography.

Maybe Leica choose 28mm to not be in competition with the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some decent basics to learn 28.
    http://www.theinspiredeye.net/28mm-focal-length/

I love 28, but it takes some practice. Lots of things you can do with a 28 that no 35 can, few things you can do with a 35 that the 28 can't, but it's harder LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    Got to say the Q is getting some attention and I'm not surprised at the great reports being filed.

On your comment above, the little Sigma DPM and Q ranges are equivalent to 28mm, 45mm and 75mm; all being fixed lenses with exceptional IQ. Yes, yes, they have a whole drum role of stuff that isn't good which is pretty much all fixed by the Leica Q.

I think Leica have opened a can of worms with the Q and if they add a couple more versions - 45mm & 75mm by any chance? - my feeling is they will pretty much knock the M on the head. None of this is good news for the used prices of the Ms. I sure Leica are fully aware of this and are simply dragging their range finder followers into the 21st century.

Just my thoughts. I don't have a Leica but certainly haven't ruled one out.
    Unless Leica makes an interchangeable mount Q it will NEVER truly be competition nor cannibalize M sales. The same can be said for the RX1when compared to a FE/A camera. Fixed lens cameras are too limited to pose a serious threat to system cameras - even moreso when they cost more than 99% of all cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    INSPIRED EYE | 10 beginner tips to the 28mm focal length

I love 28, but it takes some practice. Lots of things you can do with a 28 that no 35 can, few things you can do with a 35 that the 28 can't, but it's harder LOL
    Looking back at old photos.. I've actually used the 28 Elmarit-asph and 28 Summicron-asph quite a bit. I just don't know why I can't seem to fall into the 28mm groove?

The Q still doesn't feel familiar, but I'll play/use it professionally at least until the end of August, before I give up on the FL.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    http://www.theinspiredeye.net/28mm-focal-length/

It is an intersting link. I like the images there. But it just shows how in many of 28mm images the surrounding has to be integrated in the image. I like this but I also like sometimes to focus just on a person or a detail. And I believe thats difficult with 28mm FOV.
    Do you remember tha Olympus AF Twin? I thnk it had 28 (or 35?) and 50mm FOV with a relativly fast speed.
    Would be nice to have a Q twin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    On the fixed lens - One advantage is lack of dust on the sensor. Not a minor issue over time.
    A concern I have is that you know eventually dust will get on the sensor. I can't see these things being perfectly sealed (or maybe they are!). I don't want to know how much Leica will charge for such a cleaning...
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    It is an intersting link. I like the images there. But it just shows how in many of 28mm images the surrounding has to be integrated in the image. I like this but I also like sometimes to focus just on a person or a detail. And I believe thats difficult with 28mm FOV.
    Do you remember tha Olympus AF Twin? I thnk it had 28 (or 35?) and 50mm FOV with a relativly fast speed.
    Would be nice to have a Q twin
    Something like the Tri-Elmar lenses?
    That's a neat idea.. Optical zoom, but not really a ZOOM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wife's proper review: http://www.emilyloke.com/life/photog...f-the-leica-q/

Her images on the review. BTW, I think she's warming up to it, sorta
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aDam007 View Post

Enjoyed the "brutally honest" review put forth by Emily.

Also liked her work with the fruit plate, a much improved presentation.

The summary was concise and to the point.

..... hopefully when you came home with the 'Q' you also had a nicely wrapped small box from your local jeweler to help the warming up process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    Enjoyed the "brutally honest" review put forth by Emily.

Also liked her work with the fruit plate, a much improved presentation.

The summary was concise and to the point.

..... hopefully when you came home with the 'Q' you also had a nicely wrapped small box from your local jeweler to help the warming up process.

I'm taking her on vacation.. Where I'll coincidentally be using the camera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it was a nice review and I agree with many of the highlighted quirks with this camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 here.

I would love to see some photos that I expect will show up in due course from the new owners.

Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoyed that. Thank you both.

I'll wager we'll see many used Qs for sale eventually, after the infatuation wanes and folks realize 28mm is not for them. I've got no data, but my sense is the number who enjoy the close working distances a 28 requires is relatively low. I, and many others, love it in the GR, but the whole gestalt is different with that little guy.

John
    web site | tumblr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

+1 here.

I would love to see some photos that I expect will show up in due course from the new owners.
    Been a bit bogged down with work.. Anything specific you want to see BTW?
    Thinking in a few months flickr will be full with images taken with the Q.. It's such an easy camera to like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

I'll wager we'll see many used Qs for sale eventually, after the infatuation wanes and folks realize 28mm is not for them. I've got no data, but my sense is the number who enjoy the close working distances a 28 requires is relatively low. I, and many others, love it in the GR, but the whole gestalt is different with that little guy.

John
    28mm is not an easy FL. And it's definitely not a one lens kinda focal length either. I'm shooting a wedding on the 4th with it around my neck the whole night (plus flash).. I'm just trying to decide if I want to use my S-system, M-system, Nikon or Canon for my other needed focal lengths that day/night.

Everything I'm doing before then, doesn't require a 28mm lens So won't have much time to play before the wedding, unless I fly off on a short trip.

If the Q had been a 35/50 I might have been able to use it exclusively.
    Hmmm... Kinda makes me wish they had a Q28 and a Q75. I'd be able to shoot a whole wedding with those two FLs.

You're probably right about the used units rolling in after a few months. Though it is a damn fun camera to use.. Far more so then the Sony A7-series.

Wondering if this time next year we'll have a complete mirrorless system from Leica?!?!

On another note: Metz has informed me that their Metz 26 AF-1 will NOT work with the Q. Which is sort of what I confirmed when I tried using their leica/pan/oly 44(?) at the shop yesterday. So you'll all have to buy the expensive SF-26 flash

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why so much angst about 28mm FL? I don't think I've heard a single complaint when people take pictures with their cellphone, which is about the same FL, right? "Oh, I just wish my iphone has a 35mm or 50mm lens!"

I don't understand that people are willing to do all sort of PP to the image, but somehow a little cropping is a sin
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    Why so much angst about 28mm FL? I don't think I've heard a single complaint when people take pictures with their cellphone, which is about the same FL, right? "Oh, I just wish my iphone has a 35mm or 50mm lens!"

I don't understand that people are willing to do all sort of PP to the image, but somehow a little cropping is a sin
    People take pictures with cell phones!?! I guess you're gonna tell me we landed on the moon next...

***In reality I only take 1:1 or 4:5 crops with cell phones because I hate 28mm equivalent that the iPhone does.***

Post Thanks / Like

My wife makes me take her selfies, because she thinks the lens on her phone distorts her to much. I think it's more about distortion and compression then anything else. She prefers I use the 120Macro-S (96mm equivalent lens).

That and I suppose if you were to crop your 28mm shots, knowing you were going to crop (so taking images from further away).. You're essentially loosing pixels and resolving power. Which isn't always a bad thing. But sometimes it can show in the final output.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    People take pictures with cell phones!?! I guess you're gonna tell me we landed on the moon next...

***In reality I only take 1:1 or 4:5 crops with cell phones because I hate 28mm equivalent that the iPhone does.***
    We didn't land on the moon.. It was a hoax. But don't tell Buzz Aldrin that.. He will punch you in the face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

*shrugs* I guess it has to do with the price being paid, but somewhere among the different equipments there's a line where we decide that we're willing to work with it as is, or we expect the equipment to work differently to fit us.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely "over the moon" with this Leica Q...or maybe "Walking on the moon"....

Seriously though, the camera does much right and very little wrong. Like many, I would have preferred a 35 of 50 mm lens, but honestly, like Dave, I feel that there's no huge harm in cropping if necessary, and further the fun challenge of figuring out how to make 28 mm work for me all of the time...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Easier to stick a phone close to the subject than a brick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    I'm definitely "over the moon" with this Leica Q...or maybe "Walking on the moon"....

Seriously though, the camera does much right and very little wrong. Like many, I would have preferred a 35 of 50 mm lens, but honestly, like Dave, I feel that there's no huge harm in cropping if necessary, and further the fun challenge of figuring out how to make 28 mm work for me all of the time...
    Yep, I'm with you all the way. It's fun to be forced to use a FL I've stopped using long ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Easier to stick a phone close to the subject than a brick.
    Random story, not really relevant.

I bought a New Old Stock Practika for my wife AGES ago while we were in school in Toronto (maybe 12 years ago), and the guy who sold it to me told me a funny story.

A thief came into his camera shop and tried to rob him with a knife. He resisted from over the counter and the thief grabbed some random stuff like film and ran out of the store. The shop owner grabbed a Practika from behind the counter and chased him out of the store down the street.. Couldn't catch the guy, so chucked the camera at him. Hit him in the head knocked him down in front of a few cops (his shop is next to a donut store, no joke).

I don't know in the end who got into more trouble, but the moral of the story was that the practika survived, no issues. And the guy had a news paper clipping to prove it.

He told me the camera was built like a brick (I didn't buy the banged up one). The camera I bought still works today, and man is it a brick. My wife rarely uses it, she prefers her phone

Post Thanks / Like

Leica Q, don't know if it was in macro mode or not. I suspect it was. It's so easy to switch back and forth, I forget.. That and the camera can get close without switching to macro mode. Nothing special, I like the rendering, was at the flower shop today with my stylist.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll chip in the focal discussion.. I know this will be heresy to some, but consider this:

1) the Leica X113 is 16mp @35mm, crop sensor and people were fine with it
    2) Leica Q is 28mm full frame
    3) Leica Q crop mode gives you 35mm @15mp, which is pretty damn close to X113 which noone complained about
    4) few people complain about Q edges, well crop to your favorite 35 focal and corners are gone!
    5) if your crop further to 50mm with either Q or X, you end up around the same 8-9mp which is still good enough for normal sized prints or typical viewing at the FullHD tv or even a 4k tv
    6) using the crop mode in Q gives you "faux rf" framelines and you can see outside the frame, it's a gimmick but I think I'll like it still!

I know a full frame 50 with 24mp would be nice and all that, but just thinking from a practical use, not professional use, side of things there are many things done right in this camera. And if the hobbyists would stop peeping so many pixels and rationalized things from usecase side, it makes a lot of sense to a lot of people. In a way the Q is a modern version of M camera with a fixed digital Tri-Elmar.

And now I'll run & hide before the following flames reach me! Time to sit back, have some & see what you guys think.

//Juha
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    I'll chip in the focal discussion.. I know this will be heresy to some, but consider this:

3) Leica Q crop mode gives you 35mm @15mp, which is pretty damn close to X113 which noone complained about
    4) few people complain about Q edges, well crop to your favorite 35 focal and corners are gone!
    5) if your crop further to 50mm with either Q or X, you end up around the same 8-9mp which is still good enough for normal sized prints or typical viewing at the FullHD tv or even a 4k tv
    6) using the crop mode in Q gives you "faux rf" framelines and you can see outside the frame, it's a gimmick but I think I'll like it still!

I know a full frame 50 with 24mp would be nice and all that, but just thinking from a practical use, not professional use, side of things there are many things done right in this camera. And if the hobbyists would stop peeping so many pixels and rationalized things from usecase side, it makes a lot of sense to a lot of people. In a way the Q is a modern version of M camera with a fixed digital Tri-Elmar.

And now I'll run & hide before the following flames reach me! Time to sit back, have some & see what you guys think.

//Juha

I never bought into the X platform.. I didn't like the images from the X series (or T).

point 6.. Yeah that's pretty slick implementation for sure!

Nothing wrong with cropping, but I rarely make it a habit when shooting in general. I usually switch lenses for the added benefits a different FL would give me.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, my writeup, complete with images:

http://www.jupitersnake.com/review/leica-q/

Post Thanks / Like

I never bought into the X platform.. I didn't like the images from the X series (or T).

point 6.. Yeah that's pretty slick implementation for sure!

Nothing wrong with cropping, but I rarely make it a habit when shooting in general. I usually switch lenses for the added benefits a different FL would give me.
    This is true for me also. But in this case, especially for 35, there's enough latitude to get a decent sized picture still. And I'd normally consider doing this in post, but if it helps with the process I could see doing it like this as well.

Our requirements differ quite significantly though, since you're a successful pro photographer and I'm looking at things from the hobbyist point of view ie. happy snapper.

I have bought and used X series quite extensively and have liked the results I get out of those. So in a way for me, this is 2 cameras in 1 plus the other added benefits.

On the M I'd switch lenses too.. but even with the M I tend to mount 1 lens and go with that for most of the day if not all of the day. Only change lens if I absolutely need to. If I can, I'll rather not change at all.

So from this side the Q makes a lot of sense.

Also about your wife's write-up, she was exactly as promised in the title.. brutally honest! Never the less, it was also a interesting read.

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

this may be my very first leica, lol.

you may be right in terms of colour and everyone else may be experiencing the same problem, because i notice there is unusually high portion of review photos (in all the leica Q reviews) are in black and white.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

//Juha
    I don't think people are complaining without cause. If I remember correctly the RX1 does the same thing but at 35/50/75 which is a more useful range for most. In either case though you're losing a lot of resolution with the maximum crops.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

//Juha
    My thoughts go back and forth regarding this question:
    If one likes 35mm for 80% of the shots but would enjoy 28mm FOV here and then, what is the better compromise?
    option 1) a 28mm FOV like the Q, where you do have the nice option of 28mm for the 20% shots where you like the wider view, but therefore in 80% of your shots you shoot in a cropped mode. You pay 4000 for a Q while you could do the same with a X.
    option 2) a Q with 35mm lens (RX1): you can enjoy the full resolution for 80% of your images, but for the 20% of your images where you would enjoy 28mm FOV you have to work around it and shoot with 35mm.
    But then you would also have more room to go further and crop to 50mm FOV and still have 15MP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If one likes 35mm for 80% of the shots but would enjoy 28mm FOV here and then, what is the better compromise?
    option 1) a 28mm FOV like the Q, where you do have the nice option of 28mm for the 20% shots where you like the wider view, but therefore in 80% of your shots you shoot in a cropped mode. You pay 4000 for a Q while you could do the same with a X.
    option 2) a Q with 35mm lens (RX1): you can enjoy the full resolution for 80% of your images, but for the 20% of your images where you would enjoy 28mm FOV you have to work around it and shoot with 35mm.
    But then you would also have more room to go further and crop to 50mm FOV and still have 15MP.
    Just an FYI: On the RX1, although you have options to go 35/50/75, it is only in JPG mode for the 50/75 if you want to see the framelines... You can, as you said, crop the DNG, you just won't have the guides whilst you're shooting.

The Q, on the other hand, will give you the full DNG regardless of whether you're shooting 28/35/50 whilst still being able to see the framelines when you're shooting.
    my flickr

Post Thanks / Like

This is true for me also. But in this case, especially for 35, there's enough latitude to get a decent sized picture still. And I'd normally consider doing this in post, but if it helps with the process I could see doing it like this as well.

Our requirements differ quite significantly though, since you're a successful pro photographer and I'm looking at things from the hobbyist point of view ie. happy snapper.

I have bought and used X series quite extensively and have liked the results I get out of those. So in a way for me, this is 2 cameras in 1 plus the other added benefits.

On the M I'd switch lenses too.. but even with the M I tend to mount 1 lens and go with that for most of the day if not all of the day. Only change lens if I absolutely need to. If I can, I'll rather not change at all.

So from this side the Q makes a lot of sense.

Also about your wife's write-up, she was exactly as promised in the title.. brutally honest! Never the less, it was also a interesting read.

//Juha

I don't know about successful. Busy, but not successful

Yeah, so tonight in honour of everyone who said "don't be afraid to crop" I went around using the 35 and 50 mode almost the whole night (knowing that I could easily just recover the full frame in the raw file). Bottom line, I think you could get away with 35mm crop at the lower ISO range. Higher then 1600 and I'm pretty hesitant to use the 50mm crop, higher then 6400 and I'd rather not use the 35mm crop mode. At one point I accidentally left my aperture ring at 5.6 and was shooting at like 25,000 ISO. Definitely 50mm crop mode suffers here. I corrected it 5 shots later, but it's easy to mess up with you're letting the camera pick the ISO (which I generally don't do, but was testing the cameras spot metering mode, which BTW is pretty spot on).

One more gripe I have, since it's still sort of a rolling review. The AF box is to big for 28mm lenses. Sometimes you get check or nose and not eyes in focus.

Honestly, using the camera tonight, I really want Leica to release a 75mm Q ASAP.

I don't like the SF-26 at all (wouldn't say it's a waste of money, but close to it).. Rather use the SF-24D on A mode or M mode, or Nissan I40 on manual mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post
    this may be my very first leica, lol.

you may be right in terms of colour and everyone else may be experiencing the same problem, because i notice there is unusually high portion of review photos (in all the leica Q reviews) are in black and white.
    Sure you're not looking at the Monochrom review
    I prefer color, and most of my images are in color. The colors coming from the Q are pretty good. Leica did a good job, no matter who made the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would have preferred 35mm optics. Even if the lens had to be slightly bigger. Though I don't see why that would have been the case, I could have been fine with a f/2 lens.

Now that there is a 28mm, perhaps they'll give us a 75mm.. And then next round interchangeable?

The 28 is a fun FL, it's just not ideal for professional use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Just an FYI: On the RX1, although you have options to go 35/50/75, it is only in JPG mode for the 50/75 if you want to see the framelines... You can, as you said, crop the DNG, you just won't have the guides whilst you're shooting.

The Q, on the other hand, will give you the full DNG regardless of whether you're shooting 28/35/50 whilst still being able to see the framelines when you're shooting.
    Yep, and when you import the DNG into LR, it's already cropped. So you would have to undo all the crops in order to get 28mm back.. Which I think is a NEAT implementation. As it allows you to see what the heck you were doing/thinking in the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, and when you import the DNG into LR, it's already cropped. So you would have to undo all the crops in order to get 28mm back.. Which I think is a NEAT implementation. As it allows you to see what the heck you were doing/thinking in the moment.
    I think it's *very* neat (I own and shoot with an RX1), amongst other things, which is why I'm avidly (vicariously?) reading this thread!

I actually like 28mm a lot, especially if I'm shooting at close range and/or in conjunction with an M and a 50mm attached.

One of the most enjoyable nights of shooting was with an M9 w/the old f/1 Noctilux attached and the original Fuji X100 (35/2). It was a party at the business down below... I'd like to say I shot what was appropriate for the moment (M9 outside in the dark, X100 inside with lights) but, some of the time, it was just shooting with whatever camera wasn't hanging.

Anyways, I found that because I could get close in these circumstances and that the Fuji allowed me to do so -- I was actually wishing, badly, for a 28mm that I could shoot real close.

28mm was my first camera's FOV and it's still near and dear to my heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Went out to support a friend's store opening party. Decided to bring the Q, and try the crop mode as much as possible. Natural light, between f/1.7 and f/5.6 a bit wonky with the strobing pinks, purples and blues, but kinda cool. (Admittedly I'm not a great friend. I was only there about 15-20 minutes before I got hungry and ran off to eat German style Pork Knuckle.):

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

John
    You could be right John . . . but I suspect that it's the beginning of a lot of love affairs - you don't see that many Ricoh GR's for sale, but you do see lots of praise for it.

We've just come back from two weeks in China. Most of my shooting was done with an M, but normally I would have taken a camera with a zoom (µ43 or similar) this time I took the Q to see if it was possible to use it as an 'allrounder' - I think it worked surprisingly well:

Snapshots from China
    It may take a minute to load

There's a short article to go with it which I'll try and post in a day or so.

Just this guy you know
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Jono! Very much looking forward to the article. Was there much work in post?
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, when you have a chance I would love to see the following image full size:
    http://www.slack.co.uk/2015/Product_.../view/ID334564

You have many gorgeous shots there, but that's the one, uncropped, which will give a really clear view of edges and corners.

I'm not obsessed with the deepest corners, if I see stellar performance everywhere else, like for example, the ZM 35/2.

But it's nice to see what the lens will really do and nothing is so challenging as a long infinity landscape, where the rear element is closest to the sensor.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jono,
    looking at your images I even start changing my mind and start to believe if 28 is not the more interesting focal length than 35mm.
    SPecially with a fast 28mm where you can have shallow DOF.
    To me the images look very good.

Question: If you shoot with the Q, do you use the viewfinder most of the time? One of the reasons why I could be interested in the Q additionally to my M equipment would be to shoot from different angels using the display and AF, which should work quite well with the Q.
    What I also find interesting is the combination between short focal length and quite short closest distance.
    Regards, Tom