The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q: First impressions.

aDam007

Here are some decent basics to learn 28.
INSPIRED EYE | 10 beginner tips to the 28mm focal length

I love 28, but it takes some practice. Lots of things you can do with a 28 that no 35 can, few things you can do with a 35 that the 28 can't, but it's harder LOL
Looking back at old photos.. I've actually used the 28 Elmarit-asph and 28 Summicron-asph quite a bit. I just don't know why I can't seem to fall into the 28mm groove?

The Q still doesn't feel familiar, but I'll play/use it professionally at least until the end of August, before I give up on the FL.

Paratom

Here are some decent basics to learn 28.
http://www.theinspiredeye.net/28mm-focal-length/

I love 28, but it takes some practice. Lots of things you can do with a 28 that no 35 can, few things you can do with a 35 that the 28 can't, but it's harder LOL
It is an intersting link. I like the images there. But it just shows how in many of 28mm images the surrounding has to be integrated in the image. I like this but I also like sometimes to focus just on a person or a detail. And I believe thats difficult with 28mm FOV.
Do you remember tha Olympus AF Twin? I thnk it had 28 (or 35?) and 50mm FOV with a relativly fast speed.
Would be nice to have a Q twin ;)

rscheffler

On the fixed lens - One advantage is lack of dust on the sensor. Not a minor issue over time.
A concern I have is that you know eventually dust will get on the sensor. I can't see these things being perfectly sealed (or maybe they are!). I don't want to know how much Leica will charge for such a cleaning...

aDam007

It is an intersting link. I like the images there. But it just shows how in many of 28mm images the surrounding has to be integrated in the image. I like this but I also like sometimes to focus just on a person or a detail. And I believe thats difficult with 28mm FOV.
Do you remember tha Olympus AF Twin? I thnk it had 28 (or 35?) and 50mm FOV with a relativly fast speed.
Would be nice to have a Q twin ;)
Something like the Tri-Elmar lenses?
That's a neat idea.. Optical zoom, but not really a ZOOM.

seakayaker

Wife's proper review: http://www.emilyloke.com/life/photography-life/my-brutally-honest-review-of-the-leica-q/

Her images on the review. BTW, I think she's warming up to it, sorta :D

Enjoyed the "brutally honest" review put forth by Emily.

Also liked her work with the fruit plate, a much improved presentation.

The summary was concise and to the point.

..... hopefully when you came home with the 'Q' you also had a nicely wrapped small box from your local jeweler to help the warming up process.

aDam007

Enjoyed the "brutally honest" review put forth by Emily.

Also liked her work with the fruit plate, a much improved presentation.

The summary was concise and to the point.

..... hopefully when you came home with the 'Q' you also had a nicely wrapped small box from your local jeweler to help the warming up process.

I'm taking her on vacation.. Where I'll coincidentally be using the camera :D

V

Vivek

+1 here.

I would love to see some photos that I expect will show up in due course from the new owners.

J

JohnW

Wife's proper review: http://www.emilyloke.com/life/photography-life/my-brutally-honest-review-of-the-leica-q/

Her images on the review. BTW, I think she's warming up to it, sorta :D
Really enjoyed that. Thank you both.

I'll wager we'll see many used Qs for sale eventually, after the infatuation wanes and folks realize 28mm is not for them. I've got no data, but my sense is the number who enjoy the close working distances a 28 requires is relatively low. I, and many others, love it in the GR, but the whole gestalt is different with that little guy.

John

aDam007

+1 here.

I would love to see some photos that I expect will show up in due course from the new owners.
Been a bit bogged down with work.. Anything specific you want to see BTW?
Thinking in a few months flickr will be full with images taken with the Q.. It's such an easy camera to like.

aDam007

Really enjoyed that. Thank you both.

I'll wager we'll see many used Qs for sale eventually, after the infatuation wanes and folks realize 28mm is not for them. I've got no data, but my sense is the number who enjoy the close working distances a 28 requires is relatively low. I, and many others, love it in the GR, but the whole gestalt is different with that little guy.

John
28mm is not an easy FL. And it's definitely not a one lens kinda focal length either. I'm shooting a wedding on the 4th with it around my neck the whole night (plus flash).. I'm just trying to decide if I want to use my S-system, M-system, Nikon or Canon for my other needed focal lengths that day/night.

Everything I'm doing before then, doesn't require a 28mm lens :( So won't have much time to play before the wedding, unless I fly off on a short trip.

If the Q had been a 35/50 I might have been able to use it exclusively.
Hmmm... Kinda makes me wish they had a Q28 and a Q75. I'd be able to shoot a whole wedding with those two FLs.

You're probably right about the used units rolling in after a few months. Though it is a damn fun camera to use.. Far more so then the Sony A7-series.

Wondering if this time next year we'll have a complete mirrorless system from Leica?!?!

On another note: Metz has informed me that their Metz 26 AF-1 will NOT work with the Q. Which is sort of what I confirmed when I tried using their leica/pan/oly 44(?) at the shop yesterday. So you'll all have to buy the expensive SF-26 flash :D

Hosermage

Why so much angst about 28mm FL? I don't think I've heard a single complaint when people take pictures with their cellphone, which is about the same FL, right? "Oh, I just wish my iphone has a 35mm or 50mm lens!"

I don't understand that people are willing to do all sort of PP to the image, but somehow a little cropping is a sin :)

iiiNelson

Why so much angst about 28mm FL? I don't think I've heard a single complaint when people take pictures with their cellphone, which is about the same FL, right? "Oh, I just wish my iphone has a 35mm or 50mm lens!"

I don't understand that people are willing to do all sort of PP to the image, but somehow a little cropping is a sin :)
People take pictures with cell phones!?! I guess you're gonna tell me we landed on the moon next... :wtf:

***In reality I only take 1:1 or 4:5 crops with cell phones because I hate 28mm equivalent that the iPhone does.***

aDam007

My wife makes me take her selfies, because she thinks the lens on her phone distorts her to much. I think it's more about distortion and compression then anything else. She prefers I use the 120Macro-S (96mm equivalent lens).

That and I suppose if you were to crop your 28mm shots, knowing you were going to crop (so taking images from further away).. You're essentially loosing pixels and resolving power. Which isn't always a bad thing. But sometimes it can show in the final output.

aDam007

People take pictures with cell phones!?! I guess you're gonna tell me we landed on the moon next... :wtf:

***In reality I only take 1:1 or 4:5 crops with cell phones because I hate 28mm equivalent that the iPhone does.***
We didn't land on the moon.. It was a hoax. But don't tell Buzz Aldrin that.. He will punch you in the face.

Hosermage

*shrugs* I guess it has to do with the price being paid, but somewhere among the different equipments there's a line where we decide that we're willing to work with it as is, or we expect the equipment to work differently to fit us.

ashwinrao1

I'm definitely "over the moon" with this Leica Q...or maybe "Walking on the moon"....

Seriously though, the camera does much right and very little wrong. Like many, I would have preferred a 35 of 50 mm lens, but honestly, like Dave, I feel that there's no huge harm in cropping if necessary, and further the fun challenge of figuring out how to make 28 mm work for me all of the time...

V

Vivek

Easier to stick a phone close to the subject than a brick. :D

aDam007

I'm definitely "over the moon" with this Leica Q...or maybe "Walking on the moon"....

Seriously though, the camera does much right and very little wrong. Like many, I would have preferred a 35 of 50 mm lens, but honestly, like Dave, I feel that there's no huge harm in cropping if necessary, and further the fun challenge of figuring out how to make 28 mm work for me all of the time...
Yep, I'm with you all the way. It's fun to be forced to use a FL I've stopped using long ago.