The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic in talks to buy Leica from Mr. Kaufmann

Terry

As I posted at DPReview, a serious banker would know that speaking about or spreading this information would have consequences generally detrimental to your career as a "serious banker".

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah Terry you are right,
that is why I think this is probably hot air.
"Serious Bankers" have better security than the US government.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Peter,
Why would they want to spread a rumor that would cause Panasonic shares to drop and Leica sales to dry up?
Sounds like a securities manipulator.
-bob

Peter,
Why would they want to spread a rumor that would cause Panasonic shares to drop and Leica sales to dry up?
Sounds like a securities manipulator.
-bob
Bob,
I would rather think it would have no or little effect on Panasonic shares but put Leica in an unconfortable position. We do not know how much money the Kaufmann family have lost outside of Leica in the current crisis. Panasonic could then appear as the White Knight.
Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe now we will get a electronic viewfinder for the M8. LOL

Seriously I think this is not reality. Kaufman has plenty of money and for him Leica is a pride thing more than a money making adventure. He has many many businesses to absorb any leica loses it could be taking. Of course they will make cost savings a priority but there in the middle of building and moving back to Wetzler and ready to go into production on the S2. I could see more cooperation with Panasonic on camera's like the g1 and such but there high end stuff will be pure leica Germany. If most people only knew how much history, pride and effort leica has to be the absolute best quality camera maker out there than talks like this would never come up. They will sink before they give it up to anyone. They made some mistakes sure but to them that was just a first go round. The S2 ,M9 and R10 will be there redemption products.

The S2 ,M9 and R10 will be there redemption products.
Guy, I understand your emotional involvement with Leica. Most of us who have been using, buying, supporting Leica products for years, sympathize with the company.

But in the current economic crisis pride and efforts are not enough to survive; you need competitive products and fast time to market. Both have been missing lately; prices have become out of reach and apart from the S2 adventure, both the M and the R lines look antiquated.

Leitz has started its camera success story with a bold innovation, the introduction of the Barnack 35mm camera at a high but still affordable price. Today this spirit of innovation seems missing. The S2 is perhaps a technically interesting toy, but it reminds me of the great luxury cars of the 30es, the Dusenberg, Cord, Maybach, Horch, Isotta Fraschini, Hispano Suiza, that did not survive the depression and only live on as collectors items or in pictures like Sunrise Boulvevard.

By the time the R10 makes it to market, most R photographers (including you and me) will have switched to Nikon or Canon.

We had great expectations for a new M at the Photokina The main problems, the use of IR filters and the mechanical RF technology, its lack of precision with longer and superfast lenses have not been corrected. It would have needed a new, revolutionary design, such as the solutions included in the G1. Instead, we got a less noisy shutter, a scratch-proof screen and a few other niceties.

I hope I shall be wrong, but to me the S2 ,M9 and R10 will not be their redemption but their gravestone.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I should have added within reasonable costs for those systems too and i agree Peter it could be there gravestone also if done wrong in the market. I just don't think leica would sell to Panasonic no offense against Panasonic

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I should have added within reasonable costs for those systems too and i agree Peter it could be there gravestone also if done wrong in the market. I just don't think leica would sell to Panasonic no offense against Panasonic
I posted this in the other thread.

My experience with German companies is that they don't like to sell outside of Germany.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
OH! NO!

Do what ever it takes to stop this, rend your garment and sit in ashes, light candles, burn much joss, sacrifice multitudes of white bulls, run screaming naked into the night but this must be stopped.

W

wilsonlaidlaw

The only company around at the moment who is German, in an acquisitive mood and got the cash is Porsche. Now that could be a happy marriage.

Wilson