The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica Q

aDam007

I'm contemplating selling my Q. The problem, I've been traveling for work a lot lately. And every time I travel, I think, why not pack the Q as a backup camera. When I have free time, I walk around with said backup camera. I've been getting such stunning results from it, I don't know if I could sell it. Though it's not my preferred walk around FL.

It's just that I have so many wide lenses, something's gotta give. But the wife likes it... But I want a 35S :D
Also paid a lot for it, more then you fellows in America pay, probably less then you British fellows though. So I'd probably loose money on it.
And I have the holster and spare battery, and geeze the holster is funny looking.. So I think that I'm gonna probably keep it.

And BTW, this forum doesn't help.. Also makes me want to hold onto the Q!

So anyway... Has anyone purchase the Q, sold it, regretted it?
Keep in mind, I could care less about rumours of upcoming cameras. I wouldn't let it change my decision. This isn't really a work tool, though I've used it as such. It's more a fun toy for me. My work tools are settled M & S + Nikon.

Paratom

I'm contemplating selling my Q. The problem, I've been traveling for work a lot lately. And every time I travel, I think, why not pack the Q as a backup camera. When I have free time, I walk around with said backup camera. I've been getting such stunning results from it, I don't know if I could sell it. Though it's not my preferred walk around FL.

It's just that I have so many wide lenses, something's gotta give. But the wife likes it... But I want a 35S :D
Also paid a lot for it, more then you fellows in America pay, probably less then you British fellows though. So I'd probably loose money on it.
And I have the holster and spare battery, and geeze the holster is funny looking.. So I think that I'm gonna probably keep it.

And BTW, this forum doesn't help.. Also makes me want to hold onto the Q!

So anyway... Has anyone purchase the Q, sold it, regretted it?
Keep in mind, I could care less about rumours of upcoming cameras. I wouldn't let it change my decision. This isn't really a work tool, though I've used it as such. It's more a fun toy for me. My work tools are settled M & S + Nikon.
I have bought a Q and found it to be a great camera, but I didnt wnt to give up my M-system and found the T to be the more flexible partner for the M. Sold the Q and did not regret it so far.
I think 28mm is a very great focal length but I wouldnt want to rely on just that focal length. So many see the Q as an addition to an M and a 50mm. But then one coule just carry an M with 50 and 28mm lenses, which is lighter than an M and a Q.

aDam007

I have bought a Q and found it to be a great camera, but I didnt wnt to give up my M-system and found the T to be the more flexible partner for the M. Sold the Q and did not regret it so far.
I think 28mm is a very great focal length but I wouldnt want to rely on just that focal length. So many see the Q as an addition to an M and a 50mm. But then one coule just carry an M with 50 and 28mm lenses, which is lighter than an M and a Q.
Yeah, I feel lazy using mine. Gonna give the M-P some love this weekend.

ashwinrao1

Yeah, I feel lazy using mine. Gonna give the M-P some love this weekend.
Yes, the Q does make it easy. For me, the handling and feel, added to the inspired condifience, make it a great companion of my M system:

- - - Updated - - -

Several Q's in this group....

And several GetDPI members as well:

aDam007

Hi Ashwin, nice shots. Some work better in black and white, some in color. But I think they're stronger as one set if they're not mixed (either all color, or all black and white).

Easy, and fluid yes.. But this weekend I've noticed I'm considerably slower at focusing my RF. I really need to just use the RF EVERYDAY in order to stay sharp it seems. I think I'm pretty hard on myself though. I treat them Ms as if they're 1Dx cameras or something.

So many see the Q as an addition to an M and a 50mm. But then one coule just carry an M with 50 and 28mm lenses, which is lighter than an M and a Q.
But then you're spending time changing lenses and sometimes AF is usefull too..

And probably for many the addition to M also means they're shooting the Q when they're not carrying the M. Let's say mostly not photography orientated family vacation or some sort of get-to-gether.

Also Q is easier to handle in dark where, at least to me, rf becomes harder to focus. The Q then can throw in AF, ois, better high iso to level the grounds against the noctilux shooters :)

Has anybody else noticed how frequently the shots on this Q thread have trouble retaining both highlight and shadow detail?

Is it a quite contrasty lens?

Kirk

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I've just had a few days with the Q, but have noticed no unmanageable contrast. Certainly more than a v1 50 Lux...

I like this lens a lot. I'm having a hard time defending my long time favorite - the 28 Cron.

Q wide open. Close, but not macro mode. I had to increase contrast:

--Matt

Last edited:

DavidE

Has anybody else noticed how frequently the shots on this Q thread have trouble retaining both highlight and shadow detail?

Is it a quite contrasty lens?

Kirk
Kirk, I don't think the Q's lens is more contrasty than my M lenses. The Q uses a different sensor than the previous Leica cameras, so it may be a situation where we're trying to figure out how best to process the images.

Here's another one from the Q.

From midtown Manhattan

Last edited:

ramosa

Kirk, I don't think the Q's lens is more contrasty than my M lenses. The Q uses a different sensor than the previous Leica cameras, so it may be a situation where we're trying to figure out how best to process the images.

Here's another one from the Q.

From midtown Manhattan

David: love your Q processing. As a result of this thread, I checked out your website. Great stuff. Ceatec Tradeshow #7 works really well.