The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica Q

rayyan

Hi Ashwin.

My apologies if I mis-stated that your posted seemed cropped.
Congratulations again, on your new acquisition. And my best wishes for your journey with it.

I have no doubt we shall be seeing superlative images from you and your new
camera.

Kindest regards.

animefx

Looks like 15 megapixels for the 35mm crop view is still very nice. I can definitely handle that when I want to cheat and use the digital zoom.

35 mm crop view:

Last edited:

jonoslack

But the images posted are underwhelming to say the least. They do not, to me,
Represent either the undoubted talents of the photogs and neither the praise being heaped on the camera for its image making capabilities.
Hi there Ray
fair comment
Ashwin has had the camera for 2 days, but I have no such excuse; I've had the camera for more than 6 months. The China Wall shots could of course have been taken with any camera (at least the ones I've posted so far) but do yo feel the same way about all of these?

http://www.slack.co.uk/2015/Product_Images_files/hemingway/index.html

Because if you do, then it's certainly trouble for either me or the camera indeed! indeed!

ashwinrao1

Jono, it was your series that helped pursuade me to buy this camera, along with the feedback of a few others whose views I tend to align with....

I am really enjoying this camera. It begs to be used, has lovely colors, great sharpness, lovely bokeh, etc, etc...plus wow is it responsive...that doesn't get talked about enough!

Slowly, I am starting to build a portfolio:

Question: How many of you are using OIS on your camera? benefits, detractions? Stefan Daniel mentioned a slight loss of edge sharpness....

V

Vivek

Ashwin, The perspective distortion from 28mm is going to take a while to come to terms with. Does the Q have a built in e level?

rayyan

Hi there Jono.

How's the weather holding up there?

I have checked the images ( all 78 of them ) on the link you kindly provided.

Now we are talking. Excellent work. The Q must have helped a little too..:D

Take care.

Hi there Ray
fair comment
Ashwin has had the camera for 2 days, but I have no such excuse; I've had the camera for more than 6 months. The China Wall shots could of course have been taken with any camera (at least the ones I've posted so far) but do yo feel the same way about all of these?

http://www.slack.co.uk/2015/Product_Images_files/hemingway/index.html

Because if you do, then it's certainly trouble for either me or the camera indeed! indeed!

jonoslack

Thank you Ray.
As Aswin says, the camera is Very Responsive and that certainly does help, as does the excellent close focus option.

We've been in Beijing for the last 5 days and the weAther has been great. now we're back in Hangzhou for the last 3 days with lots of rain and thunderstorms forecast.

Ashwin, I've tended to keep the OS off, not because I've seen any disadvantages, it I don't think I ever found myself in a situation where I needed it with the leaf shutter and the great high ISO , I mean, it's no problem to hand hold right down to 1/10th....I'm really glad you're enjoying it (but not surprised!)
all the best from China

Chris C

..............Does the Q have a built in e level?
Also - I feel a bit daft even asking this; does the camera have a histogram? I've not seen it referenced, and didn't spot it in Mr. Huff's scroll through the settings in his video. Hopefully I've missed it?

......... Chris

ashwinrao1

Can you tell that I am inspired this camera? My enthusiasm grows by the moment. The palette is reminiscent of the M9, but with more saturation. There's a whole lot of pop, and the OOF is great. The lens is sharp, and the camera is very quick to focus. AFc is solid for moving subjects in daylight (not perfect, but plenty for this type of work)...One word to sum up the day's experience: WOW!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ashwin,

these last shots look just great! No discussion about that.

I am still not sure if I could live with just a 28, even if it is as perfect as this one seems to be ...

But the colors are just from another world :cool:

Peter

yudafu2

Hi Ashwin, great images with the kids. Just curious, is the color in these photographs original from the camera, or did you use a VSCO preset on the file? They look really really film like, and almost like Kodakchrome in some ways. The grain is beautiful too.

ashwinrao1

Thanks everyone. Good eyes. The photos were edited with VSCO 4, with a Kodak EG100++ filter, then adjusted afterward to my liking. The file colors shine, as does everything else about this awesome camera. hope to see it in more hands soon. It's great, and surely a sign of great things to come from Leica!

uhoh7

TY so much to all the Q shooters and I hope to see many more shots, including especially a few by which we might judge the lens, i.e long landscape with distant details in center edges and at least one corner. :)

rayyan

Jono, seems you too have had fun:D

Lovely images and looking forward to your review.

Take care.

Photomorgana

Ashwin,
On the picture of a "boy with a sword" what resolution did you use? Was it a 50mm crop mode? The sword looks a bit pixelated. :)

D&A

Jono, a truly lovely album of images from your trip to China. As easy as it would be to ascribe the beauty of the pictures to the Q, its both your eye and post processing skills that elevate these images to such a vaulted status. Truly enjoyed viewing them. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

jonoslack

Dave and Ray
thank you very much for the kind words - we had lots of fun, and hopefully that comes through in the photos.
All the best
Jon